Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I struggled for a few seconds to find a better way to write the subject line... essentially, I've just become aware of this game and I want it for the production value, the components, and for the programing nature of the gameplay. I get the feeling that it's a good game.

But how much satisfaction of the gameplay comes from having an affinity of the League of Legends theme? I guess that's what I'm asking.

Personally I have no interest in the League of Legends video game, nor will I ever gain an interest (trust me). So does this game absolutely stand on it's own? Will someone like me, who enjoys playing good games, not have a problem adding this game to the collection despite having ZERO interest in the theme?

IOW: Is the gameplay good enough to overcome a total indifference to the theme?

Plus, until I saw this game, I was finished for a while buying any more co-ops. Co-ops have infiltrated my collection way too much and it has to stop! But if you guys say to get it despite the League of Legends theme, then it looks like this game will have to break that policy! Argh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Theme adds nothing in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentSniperx88 wrote:

I think I'd rephrase that to something such as:

Not knowing all the background lore and such from the video game won't detract from the theme and gameplay of this game. All the theme and lore you need for this game is packaged in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of LOL but intrigued by the theme.
(It's really zombies - shush now)

Other reviewers who have not been fans of LOL have found this game enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

I struggled for a few seconds to find a better way to write the subject line... essentially, I've just become aware of this game and I want it for the production value, the components, and for the programing nature of the gameplay. I get the feeling that it's a good game.

But how much satisfaction of the gameplay comes from having an affinity of the League of Legends theme? I guess that's what I'm asking.

Personally I have no interest in the League of Legends video game, nor will I ever gain an interest (trust me). So does this game absolutely stand on it's own? Will someone like me, who enjoys playing good games, not have a problem adding this game to the collection despite having ZERO interest in the theme?

IOW: Is the gameplay good enough to overcome a total indifference to the theme?

Plus, until I saw this game, I was finished for a while buying any more co-ops. Co-ops have infiltrated my collection way too much and it has to stop! But if you guys say to get it despite the League of Legends theme, then it looks like this game will have to break that policy! Argh!

I've been playing LoL online for probably around 2 years now and still have no idea what the hell the lore of this game is supposed to be beyond "random things that look like they belong in different genres punching on for some reason" so you should be right with the boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game supports its own theme just fine, but knowing the league of legends background will help you get a few of the in-jokes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't even know LoL existed until this game was announced. I don't suspect that is going to detract from the game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a "League of Legends board game".

It is more like a spin-off, that stands on its own legs.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
League of Legends is the setting, not the theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Barry, we tried to make the game stand on it's own. We wanted it to fit the league of legends world and be true to the characters, but we didn't want anyone to feel like they were missing out if they weren't familiar with the lore. As some others have commented, even many die-hard league players aren't really familiar with the Lore.

So if you're familiar with the lore, you'll know that flamespitter is one of Rumble's weapons. If you're not you'll still understand that it's a thing that spits flames.

If you don't know the lore, you'll see the big honking mace on the battlefield and think "that's a big honking mace". If you're familiar with the lore you'll recognize that it belongs to a champion named Mordekasier.

I hope that helps explain what we were hoping to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
I remember when researching which MOAB I wanted to try (this was after I heard about "MOABs" during the rum and bones Kickstarter) I encountered an article somewhere which talked about a lot of LoL's success being that it had no consistent or uniform theme, rather it was a mismatch of different shit. Now being bit of a lore hound (love my warhammer and Runebound and Arkham etc universes) I initially found this off putting but the way the article presented it was basically that no matter what you were into you would find a champion to suit your needs. Like traditional fantasy? There are barbarians, wizards and monsters for you. Like that Animie stuff? There are characters that fit that style. Like sexy half naked chicks that cause BGG threadrage? You got those too. Like cartoony, non serious clowny stuff? There are a pile of those characters. Want tragic characters with a bit of pathos. Yep, they are in there. You can be a dragon, you can be a robot. You can be a little girl.
And that's without skins.
So basically whatever style a player liked they would find, and that resulted in a much wider player base. And after reading the article I came around to thinking it was a great idea.
So for months (years?) I always was under the impression there in fact was no lore. That's incorrect, and lately it seems the designers are trying to rework their champions to be a bit more uniform to fit into "factions" (I have no idea how many or who they are) and at this stage I have no idea where i'd even go for a summary of it all. Maybe one day I will google it and see if I can find something beyond the minor in game clues that i've picked up.
But for now rest assured that from what I've seen of MvM with radio plays and stuff you'll have far more idea as to why you are programming a mech in the boardgame than I do as to why I am playing a fencer trying to take down a tower in the top lane to get to a magic exploding crystal while a wolf man jumps at me from the bushes where a fox in combat gear is hiding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I am playing a fencer trying to take down a tower in the top lane to get to a magic exploding crystal while a wolf man jumps at me from the bushes where a fox in combat gear is hiding.

I think this may be my favorite description of League.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally knew nothing about the lore of LoL before playing this and can say we are having a very fun time.
The missions set the setting and the beautiful miniatures with solid gameplay bring it al to life. Really loving this game. And the theme is solid and very immersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP here...

All, thank you for your excellent and enthusiastic responses! Looks like I'll be buying the game!

I wondered about the theme's incorporation into the game, after a member of my local Meet-up showed me his copy last night. He was gushing. While I was extremely impressed by the components and production value, my reaction to the look of the painted Mechs was more, "Hmmm... now, that's not exactly my cup of tea."

I'm one who absolutely craves strong theme in my games, but it has to be a theme that fancies me, if you know what I mean. So it was my mixed thoughts that spurred me to post this thread. And thanks to you all, I'm convinced that this is one game where I can overlook the theme! And who knows, perhaps it will grow on me!

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SilentSniperx88 wrote:

For me it doesn't add all of nothing. Some of the writing in the manual is a little more humorous, and I do like that I can get my League friends to gamenight using the theme. That being said, I haven't played league in 3 years and I am still super excited about the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Steggles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you want, more zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmelo Scozzola
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ph0n1k wrote:

Cthulhu on Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Steggles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catando wrote:
Ph0n1k wrote:

Cthulhu on Mars

Mutant vikings racing beers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Ph0n1k wrote:
Mutant vikings racing beers

10/10 would kickstart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.