Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As at the end of the last round guilds are scored, it's almost impossible to finish the game with no pawns in the guildhall. Especially in a 2p game where tiles are scored only every second round. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
As at the end of the last round guilds are scored, it's almost impossible to finish the game with no pawns in the guildhall. Especially in a 2p game where tiles are scored only every second round. Am I missing something?

If so, I'm missing it, too.

We played last weekend and I got that card - pretty sure it was the first time I've had it. At first I didn't give it a lot of thought, but as the end of the game neared I realized that it was not going to be easy to get those 7 points! I had done a lot of hiring in the course of the game, so I had lots of liverymen floating around, and at some point I realized (duh!) that every time a guild resolved, they'd end up back in the Guildhall. The only way I could see to have none there when the last round ended would be to somehow dump them all on guilds that wouldn't resolve. That proved to be impossible, and the card ended up being worthless. Another option would have been to get them all to the Plantation, but as it happened I had NO blue cards in the last two rounds.

Unless someone wants to share any other sneaky ways of playing this card, I'm think I'm going to avoid it in future and stick to something easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not easy, but a plantation strategy helps. Remember that liverymen sent to the plantation don't usually get back to the guildhall: they are either discarded (if you win a majority) or they just stay there. The only exception is if you use a card power or if an opponent uses a black liveryman against you in the negotiation phase (the latter would be a rather nasty way of using their last black liveryman, but... hey, it's game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is worth many points but is hard to achieve.
It's nice because you could have a strategy comprising not so many liverymen and then score also the 7 points of cards S.
But your at the whims of the other players, as Alberto pointed out, as even if you reach your goal of 0 pawns in the Guildhall, someone playing after you can move one of your pawns, or during resolution, could "kill" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always consider that the opponents do not know which mayoral cards you have... So, unless you let the cat out of the bag, they might decide not to make a move that could only potentially counter this specific card. Or vice versa, you might bluff, by letting them think you have this card when you don't and let them waste a move...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but there are just 2 cards that give points according to the number of remaining pawns in the guildhall. Just manage to let your opponents have more than 0 and less than 5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.