Hide
11 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Hastur, 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I created an entry in the database for Hastur 2016. As soon as it gets approved, I'll enter a picture of the guy. For those who want to play it right now, here are the specifics (beware, it's the first Ancient One not having a Battle Taks)

The third act
Each time an investigator spends trophies, that investigator must either lose 1 San or 1 Sta
Investigators cannot chose to stay on the entrance during the movement phase; they must move to an adventure

Attack
When Hastur awakens, do not resolve the normal steps for awakening the ancient one (Hastur still attacks at midnight). For each doom token that cannot be added to the doom track, advance the clock.

When Hastur attacks, each investigator that is not on the entrance is devoured; that player does not select a new investigator

ES required: 15

Doom track progression:
D, D, M, D
M, D, D, M
D, M, D, D

(where clearly D stands for Doom, and M for Monster icon)

How does this dude work? Basically, after he wakes up, you keep playing against him as per normal rules: you need to gather those darn 15 Elder Signs to win. You keep resolving your turn normally, and thus you keep resolving Mythos cards during the Mythos phase, BUT are you devoured by a game effect, you get no replacement investigators, and are you on an Adventure when Midnight strikes, you're instantly devoured as the tattered king finds you. When everyone's devoured, you lose the game.

(entering this explanation because the free space on the card is rather narrow for a complete breakthrough of how this works)

EDIT: we have an entry (here); I've upped a picture of the guy, let's hope it goes through GM quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if it came with a miniFAQ. For starters, we have several different versions of "entrance" which don't all work identically as far as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you detail the unclear part on the Entrance wording so that what needs clarification is more evident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Could you detail the unclear part on the Entrance wording so that what needs clarification is more evident?
I educated myself a bit and at this moment I don't see any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew I think the messy part here is how final battle is resolved, but hopefully this will get an official clarification at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur 2016 wrote:
When Hastur awakens (...)

When Hastur attacks, each investigator that is not on the entrance is devoured; that player does not select a new investigator
Wait, isn't it a default that investigators devoured post-awakening are eliminated?
I'm not very familiar with ES rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's the default, but considering how Hastur works (gameplay proceeds as normal), I don't mind the extra clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Yes, it's the default, but considering how Hastur works (gameplay proceeds as normal), I don't mind the extra clarification
I would be very happy with extra clarification on the parts that work different than usual, not those that work the same as always.

There many ways to get devoured, but for only one of these ways the card states that you don't select a new investigator.
This gives an impression that:
If Hastur devours you personally you don't select a new investigator.
If you, for example, run out of Health you do select a new investigator.

And thematically, the above sounds plausible.
With all the other AO's you're only eliminated in the final battle, by AO's attack. Why would it be different here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fair point, and needs to be clarified. I'm pretty sure the intent is that the investigator is eliminated if devoured by any game effect; but I agree with you that the wording on the sheet implies something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a lack of offtopic tags, I hid a related offtopic in the spoiler tags.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Redundancy promotes inconsistency.
Inconsistency promotes confusion.
Confusion promotes frustration.
For all the years I'm interested in this hobby, I never saw a single exception.

If you restate the default rule once, you should always restate it. Otherwise it's intuitive that cards without the rule included in the text are exempt from it.

Reminders can be very helpful, as long as it's clear that those are only reminders.
The problematic text could, for example, look like this:
“When Hastur attacks, each investigator that is not on the entrance is devoured. (That player does not select a new investigator.)
The second sentence is grayed out and hides itself in brackets as thought it wants to say "Hey, I'm only reminding you of things you already know. Feel free to ignore me." That's what I call a reminder text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
People will ask for official rulings about the use of colors in the game, or will complain for poor printing of the components... I get what you're saying, but finding the right solution is quite a task

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.