Popular Tags: chaude_freudian_slip [+] [View All]
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious.

If not, at what week in a pregnancy would you feel morally guilty for deciding to have an abortion, disregarding any arguments for health or rape issues?

If you are a male, treat the question as if you are the father of the child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

headed out the door but looks like about 1 in 5 atheists are pro-life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting numbers. I wonder what the % would be if this choice could be all the way into the 3rd trimester?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
maxo-texas wrote:

headed out the door but looks like about 1 in 5 atheists are pro-life.

"no religion" doesn't necessarily mean Atheist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pro-life. I believe in less U.S. military conflicts throughout the world and am against the death penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an atheist and pro-choice. I can't have an abortion since I'm male, but I would be completely comfortable supporting a woman's right to choose into the 3rd trimester.

In my state, the right to abort ends with fetal viability, which I think is reasonable. I would respect that restriction if it were an issue.

I don't personally experience state permission for abortion as a moral hazard. I feel that all legal abortions are moral and restrictions on abortions are as a general rule, immoral. I think fetal viability is probably a reasonable line to draw, so I'm comfortable with that line existing but beyond that I generally support as much access to abortion for as many women as possible in every circumstance.

This comes from the fact that I believe that women have a fundamental right to bodily integrity which should extend to abortions on demand, and that additionally, overall, society is best served by allowing women to choose whether or not to carry fetuses to term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Just curious.

If not, at what week in a pregnancy would you feel morally guilty for deciding to have an abortion, disregarding any arguments for health or rape issues?

Pro-choice.

As for your situational ?, I'm not a woman, so that really isn't up to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I'm an atheist and pro-choice. I can't have an abortion since I'm male..

You are almost one of the most unqualified people to respond to the original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a woman makes the conscious choice when she chooses to have sex.

She should have no right to try to undo that choice by causing harm (death) to another person in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

You are almost one of the most unqualified people to respond to the original question.

Almost as unqualified as the person asking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

What makes a person unqualified to ask a question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Unqualified to respond to the question, not to ask it.

My point is that if I'm unqualified to respond to your question, I'm at least as qualified to respond to it as you would be, and since this isn't so much a "question" as an "opportunity for you to flex your moral judgement muscles", I think I'm certainly qualified to be judgmental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

My point is that if I'm unqualified to respond to your question, I'm at least as qualified to respond to it as you would be,

Actually you implied that I was more unqualified than you.

Quote:
and since this isn't so much a "question" as an "opportunity for you to flex your moral judgement muscles", I think I'm certainly qualified to be judgmental.

Judge not lest the be judged yourself. I didn't judge you, but you sure did me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

My point is that if I'm unqualified to respond to your question, I'm at least as qualified to respond to it as you would be,

Actually you said I was a bit less unqualified than you.

You are not great at reading.

As for judging you, of course I am. I am judging the morality of your opinions and I find it lacking. I think your opinion regarding abortion is immoral. You literally just said you think my opinion about abortion is immoral, so yeah, you are judging me.

If you don't want to admit you're judging me, fine, lie. I'm judging you for that now too.

Own your shit, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I'm pro-choice, but I'm increasingly comfortable with rolling back the time limit on when you have an abortion according to the gestational age of the fetus. It's almost inevitable as medical technology advances that we have to recognize that viability is much earlier than it was when Roe was decided (or at least a chance of viability; I'm mostly comfortable with that as well short of obvious exemptions for the mother's health). But yeah, I guess that makes me about the same as any pro-choicer mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Phate999 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Actually you said I was a bit less unqualified than you.

You are not great at reading.

You need to go back and look at my edit.

Quote:
As for judging you, of course I am. I am judging the morality of your opinions and I find it lacking.

Which you seem to have done before I even gave an opinion.
Quote:
I think your opinion regarding abortion is immoral.

Why is that? "Choice" verse "murder"... lol

Quote:
You literally just said you think my opinion about abortion is immoral, so yeah, you are judging me.

Quote where I said that I think your opinion regarding abortion is immoral.
Quote:
If you don't want to admit you're judging me, fine, lie. I'm judging you for that now too.

You are mean.

Quote:
Own your shit, dude.

You are mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I must be psychic or just super lucky: I knew you were pro life somehow, maybe atheist magic, and since I think that's an immoral position, I did and do judge you for having that position.

Again, you stick with your "I'm not judging you" but you're saying that I'm in favor of murder.

Right.

Again.

Own. Your. Shit. Have the guts to say you think I'm taking an immoral position. I think you very clearly are.

And yes, you did manage to get slightly better at reading then edit. I thus change your status from "not great at reading" to "slightly better than not great at reading."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Phate999 wrote:

She should have no right to try to undo that choice by causing harm (death) to another person in the process.

Congrats for poisoning the well so thoroughly.

Fuck off with your implication that anyone who differs from your view is pro-death, and especially go fuck yourself with a pineapple for the shit above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Just curious.

If you are a male, treat the question as if you are the father of the child.

Sure, I am an atheist and pro-life, though that may not mean what you think. I was against the unnecessary deaths of the Iraq invasion of 2003. I am against the death penalty as our justice system has demonstrated over too many years an incapacity to correctly sentence people in too many cases. I am against, the casual indifference of allowing people to die because sustaining them is inconvenient.

You ask about moral quilt? Why should we disregard rape or the health of the mother? Do you think these considerations are irrelevant? When we go to war, we very much consider the practical issues of mission practicality and inevitable civilian casualties. This is true in cases of artillery, bombs, missile/drone strikes, atomic weapons and so on. The mother is part of the equation and she should not be disregarded as a mere handy vessel when examining whether a fetus can be terminated.

What week would give rise to some sense of guilt? How do you answer that kind of question? Would you feel guilt if you shot an intruder? If so, at what moment. The decision to terminate pregnancy is fraught with potential emotional weight. Some people can make that decision without remorse while others would do so only with the greatest of reluctance. Until faced with the situation, how can you know what your emotional state will be, let alone when it would manifest?

I have to assume for most people that aborting at 2 weeks is easier than at 22 weeks. I also have to assume that facing a material threat to the health of the expectant mother would also be a source of grave emotional stress. Why we should take such a decision from the hands of a woman and her physician is something I don't understand in a society which values individual liberty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I'm not a woman

Source ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I'm not a woman

Source ?

Good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

Not a person. A bunch of cells.

Next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

Congrats for poisoning the well so thoroughly.

Fuck off with your implication that anyone who differs from your view is pro-death, and especially go fuck yourself with a pineapple for the shit above.

Sound logic. Golf clap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I guess I must be psychic or just super lucky: I knew you were pro life somehow, maybe atheist magic, and since I think that's an immoral position, I did and do judge you for having that position.

Again, you stick with your "I'm not judging you" but you're saying that I'm in favor of murder.

Right.

Again.

Own. Your. Shit. Have the guts to say you think I'm taking an immoral position. I think you very clearly are.

And yes, you did manage to get slightly better at reading then edit. I thus change your status from "not great at reading" to "slightly better than not great at reading."

Yes you condone murder by favoring of the choice of a woman to kill a baby over the life of the baby.

It's about as immoral a position as has ever been held, on par with sacrificing children to the gods.

Happy now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

Why do you think she'd kill the guy she had sex with afterwards? Strange stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.