Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know older editions had rules for both Marines and Hybrids, and, well, Deathwatch: Overkill got me thinking about those-- has anyone tried adapting some of the old rules to the current edition? Seems like they wouldn't be that hard (except maybe the psyker) since I don't think the basic mechanics have changed much over the editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed because I'm curious.

What would you want to see added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are kinda' 2 things:

Hybrids would give the GS player a ranged option (the duct option really opened my eyes to what GS players were missing, which, IMHO, is a bit more choice). To keep in the spirit of the game, it would probably make the most sense to do basics and heavies.

Marines, from what I've seen trying to hunt down 1st edition stuff, would offer more granular losses and more tactical flexibility.

What I'd shoot for is some method of alternate forces for regular scenarios, IDK, if hybrids could be used instead of genestealers in some balanced ratio (presumably they'd be weaker, so 2 hybrids instead of 1 revealed GS, or something) and DW marines instead of terminators (either weaker or just a different variety-- for instance, how much melee strength would you sacrifice for being to pass through each other, have better movement options, or just more AP)

edit: or, if there's a way to 1:1 (or basically 1:1) convert things from 1st edition because the rules are similar enough, then there's also the less house-ruled approach in place of just an adaptation of editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea. The more options the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I do... 1 blips are now alpha blips. If you pick a 1 blip, roll on the table on a 1 it's a purestrain, other numbers represent other hybrids.

HYBRIDS ARE 2 CLASSES... The Genestealer expansion and the skinnier oldskool leads. The chunkier Hybrids roll 2d6 in Close Assault, the thinner only 1. For each missing claw -1 roll modifier. Meaning human no claw cultist would roll 1d6 -2rm, the same as an Imperial Guard. A chainsaw or pistol has a +1rm so equip them with 1.

Magus gives Genestealer Command points, simply pick a token from the same pile the marine does.

The 2nd edition flamer is the flamer rules for a standard flamer, with the normal rules being the heavy flamer (standard terminator flamer).

1st edition sustained fire is sustained fire B type, Auto Cannon, corridor sentry guns etc. 5,4,3,2...

Ogres, ripper gun have OverKill and the old OverWatch rule, must fire, it's not a choice. Fits them perfectly. This can risk casualties on friendlies. Rolling doubles means they run out of ammo, very Ogre like!!

If you play the 1st edition Missions with the latest edition rules, easily resetting OverWatch after a Jam and OW including Sustained Fire. The Genestealer player is going to need these advantages.

We use Ambush tokens too, false alarm. perfect Aliens movie feeling.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOua1NGUXo5c0hwWG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy weapons have a -2rm in close assault and a loss of free 90 turn. Space marines get a free 90 turn. Imperial guards get a free 90 turn and passing in corridor.

Hybrids 4AP.

It's all in the link above, including multiplayer. I'm yet to do the Genestaeler expansion psychic cards. We simply use the 20 PSI system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.