BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Like Betrayal, but without the horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My wife and I recently played Betrayal at the House on the Hill with two other couples and really enjoyed the game. However, horror isn't really our genre (and with two young children at home, we'd rather have other themes on our shelf). So I'm hoping to find a game that gives a similar play experience minus the horror elements. Bonus if it's playable at two.

What we liked:
1. The sense of exploration and unknown
2. The different scenarios every time
3. Along with #2, my wife liked the change of gear at the haunt
4. My wife likes games where she has a character with abilities and individual choices.

I should mention that I have played Mice and Mystics once (without my wife) and although I think we will get that and enjoy it, it's not quite what I'm asking for here, I don't think. A little too on rails comparatively, perhaps.

Thanks for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hmm can't think of something that's like betrayal minus the horror.

although i'd really suggest T.I.M.E Stories for the sense of exploration. it has no replay value though since you will know what to do after the first time you complete the game. but as far as exploration it reigns supreme, superb co-op experience. (you can "replay" it if you buy new stories/expansions, which you will run out and do after your first playthrough)

maybe DungeonQuest Revised Edition for drawing tiles and fighting stuff. there's tons of dungeon crawlers and tile laying games but can't really think of something that's that similar to betrayal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Tales of the Arabian Nights or Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed. I'm looking for a family-friendlier tile-layer featuring the classic Universal Movie monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Howe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island seems to match your criteria well. Random island tiles come as you explore the island for resources, you will surely die trying. Highly challenging and thematically rich. You may wait for the Portal Games 2nd edition coming in November iirc. My family feels the same about Betrayal, with younger kiddos around and my wife isn't keen on the horror theme either. We love Robinson though, lots of scenarios and characters with different abilities, plus it's 1-4 players. We play it 2P all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Dead Men Tell No Tales? It doesn't have the scenario element, but it has exploration, variable player powers and gear... Skeletons are present but it doesn't give off a horror vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
robotbunny wrote:
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island seems to match your criteria well. Random island tiles come as you explore the island for resources, you will surely die trying. Highly challenging and thematically rich. You may wait for the Portal Games 2nd edition coming in November iirc. My family feels the same about Betrayal, with younger kiddos around and my wife isn't keen on the horror theme either. We love Robinson though, lots of scenarios and characters with different abilities, plus it's 1-4 players. We play it 2P all the time.

This looks very promising. I'd heard good things but never looked too closely at the gameplay. A couple questions:

1. Do you find any thematic disconnect with the fact that you are one character but control multiple workers (if I understand correctly)?
2. Do you know what the expected differences are between the original and the upcoming edition?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
DSteph wrote:
Maybe Dead Men Tell No Tales? It doesn't have the scenario element, but it has exploration, variable player powers and gear... Skeletons are present but it doesn't give off a horror vibe.

This looks fun and very similar to what we're looking for in gameplay, but the lack of scenarios is big. I think this would be more samey (other than the layout) than we're looking for.

I'm going to look into it more, though. We might like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Howe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain N wrote:
robotbunny wrote:

This looks very promising. I'd heard good things but never looked too closely at the gameplay. A couple questions:

1. Do you find any thematic disconnect with the fact that you are one character but control multiple workers (if I understand correctly)?
2. Do you know what the expected differences are between the original and the upcoming edition?

Thanks.

Sure thing.

1. The pawns you place are action pawns and during the action phase (there are six phases) each character has two actions they can make per turn and depending on how many pawns you place on a particular action determines how well you will succeed at hunting, building, gathering, or exploring. All kinds of things will trigger depending on what you do and it takes careful planning.

2. I have the Z-Man edition and I will make the upgrade. There are over 400 edits to the cards, 7 scenarios, resource cubes upgraded to wood shapes (food, wood, fur, etc.), tokens have names on them now to help identification, and a completely rewritten rule book. New box too.

Check out Ricky Royal's play through series on YouTube, it will give you a great idea of mechanics and gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UyaJ4tfEqzNLyeqG0CB...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We picked up Agents of SMERSH for the same reason -- we wanted a "Betrayal without the Horror" game. Each person plays a character with different abilities, and if you can find someone selling one of the kickstarter versions, you get even more characters to choose from. It's fully co-op, though, so there isn't a betrayal/haunt. It comes with a massive book (tablet app, I believe, in the newer versions) with thousands of scenarios that are chosen based on how you decide to react to a situation. The theme is cheesy 70's superspy, so there's lots of humor. Some of the scenarios do have some mild sexual content which may be an issue if you want to actually play with younger kids. It's a hard game to beat, but we always have fun even when we lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain N wrote:

I just wanted to make sure this point was clear too. You control two pawns but those pawns represent the same character. I always think of it as one pawn represents the work you do before lunch and the second pawn represents what you do after lunch, so you can spend all day doing one action with care and attention or try to rush through something carelessly in half the time.

So no, I don't think there's a thematic disconnect at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.