6 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Purple Districts Timing & Bewitch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What are the rules regarding using the Purple Districts abilities?
Can I use them anytime during the turn?
Can I use them on the turn I built the district?

Separate questions about the witch,
Do the witch only build during the bewitched character's turn?
Does that also mean the witch can't build if the bewitched character is not in play?
Is the bewitched character able to build?
or is their turn taken over immediately after doing an action (coins/cards) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Purple districts are built no differently than the other colors. They just have special abilities or properties. Their effects should come into play as soon as they do.

Do you have the rules? If so, find them, because the Witch (and other characters and probably any other answers you'll need) are pretty well explained. Actually, here:

www.fgbradleys.com/rules/rules2/Citadels-rules.pdf

Page 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some purple districts have abilities that can be used when chosen to, like, can I build an Armory and immediately destroy it to destroy anybody's district on the same turn? or like the Laboratory/Museum/Smithy, an example will be can you use the ability while you are using a Witch, on the turn before you bewitch someone? The timing is important, and it's not explained in the rules.

and yes, I've read the Witch rules, and it is assumed that yes, if the witch fails to bewitch a character that is in game, then he loses his chance to build a district. But it's a valid question cause it is not clarified in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels rulebook p6 wrote:

On Your Turn
On your turn, you must first take an action, after which you may build a district card.

Citadels rulebook p16 wrote:

1) Witch
After you take an action, announce the title of another character who you wish to bewitch, and then immediately end your turn. When the bewitched character is called upon, its player must show his character card, take an action, and then immediately end his turn.

I'm pretty confident that the word "immediately" in the witch's ability has to mean before building ... since building is the only thing you do on your turn after taking an action (apart from use of special abilities - many of which can be used before taking an action and so are explicitly forbidden).

So "after" does mean straight after, not some vague time later.

Similarly, the Architect's ability of taking two extra cards, and the Merchant's ability of one extra gold, always happen straight after taking their action, and not after building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can use a purple district on the turn you build it.

2. You get to take the action to get gold or cards so the only building you can use are the two that specifically apply to that (Library and Observatory). The same applies to the bewitched character.

3. The witch has no opportunity to build if she is unsuccessful in her bewitching. Her opportunity to build is when she resumes her turn after the bewitched character takes an action. If she could build otherwise then the rules would specifically state that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've found this official FAQ to be a useful addition to the rules:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Citadels/supp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.