Cyclades» Forums » General

Subject: If I don't like auctions will I like this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or does this play more like a dudes on a map game (which I'm fine with) than an auction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The auction controls the action.
It is primarily an auction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
teekay 96
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
Or does this play more like a dudes on a map game (which I'm fine with) than an auction?

Like n815e said, the auction mechanism drives the game and it can be frustrating if you find yourself in a position where you cannot compete at that phase of the game. However; the game is so well constructed that I recently pulled off a surprise victory when I lost the auction phase yet managed to win by exploiting an opportunity my opponents overlooked.

And that's the thing my group and I really enjoy about this game; very few of our games are won through military conquest (dudes on a map). Winning the favor of the right god at the right time (auction), taking advantage of the mythical creatures, getting your economic engine going, and finding creative opportunities to take advantage of the many paths to victory have made this one of the "go to" games in our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tekay describes it well.

I think the way the auction works is probably different to other games as well and makes for some interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The auction is a key part of the game, but it's a first a war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:

Maybe, but regardless the answer to the OP's question is still emphatically 'no'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:

I don't agree with this.
The game can be won without a single battle. The goal of the game is to acquire cities, not conquer territory or defeat the other players in battle. The combat is the least interesting part of the game.

This looks like a DOAM game, but it's not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha thanks for the replies everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

I don't agree with this.
The game can be won without a single battle. The goal of the game is to acquire cities, not conquer territory or defeat the other players in battle. The combat is the least interesting part of the game.

My wife made a similar speech like this once. So while she peacefully build out cities, I invested in armies and invaded her cities. Thus, that VPs she built so nicely goes to me and I won. She won't play Cyclades with me now.

So while it can be won this way, it just takes one mischievous player to throw that strategy to the wind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
n815e wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

I don't agree with this.

My wife made a similar speech like this once. So while she peacefully build out cities, I invested in armies and invaded her cities. Thus, that VPs she built so nicely goes to me and I won. She won't play Cyclades with me now.

So while it can be won this way, it just takes one mischievous player to throw that strategy to the wind.

If I had a hint that someone was going to do this to me, then I would be inclined to beat them at key auctions or use creatures effectively.
Preventing someone from actions is often part of an effective strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
Preventing someone from actions is often part of an effective strategy.

I've lost several games to this. Telegraphing what you need is very very bad in this game with savvy players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

Maybe, but regardless the answer to the OP's question is still emphatically 'no'.

I generally don't like auction games (in fact, I don't know that I can name another game with heavy emphasis on auctions that I would be interested in revisiting) but I got a lot of enjoyment out of Cyclades.

To be fair, yes, the auction is basically the heart of the game and it drives everything else. That said, I think the rest of the game that is driven by the auction is interesting enough that it doesn't feel like you're "auctioning for the sake of auctioning", if that makes any sense.

It feels like you're in a tug of war with your opponents to try to do what you want each turn...but if you're smart, there's always a back up plan in case you don't get your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.