Hide
5 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Horizon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brain craft
msg tools
This one's basically done, but it feels like it needs a lot of rebalancing. Maybe it's just me. She's basically her setting's Superman (with powers more like Magneto's), so it's hard for me to tone her down. Maybe internet strangers can do it for me.

If there were any art to speak of? She's a handsome black woman with long cornrowed hair held up in a high ponytail. Her costume is a bodysuit, dark blue below and silver above split at mid-chest level, with her trademark half-starburst symbol spilling blue into the silver where the colors meet. Her arms and gloves are blue, with the cutoff into silver being at her shoulders. She wears a silver half-cape, and a breastplate (not boobplate!) mirroring her bodysuit's pattern.

Okay, I put a lot of work into designing her costume.

Bio: When you think of superheroes, you think of Horizon: the most famous and powerful woman on Earth. When earthquakes devastated Venezuela, she was there to airlift supplies and clear the roads. When the League of Nemeses attacked the UN, she fought them all and rescued the hostages with no casualties. When an alien fleet menaced us from orbit, she flew into space to hold them off. She's such a sweetheart, though! I heard when the heroes gathered for that hurricane relief thing she brought cookies she baked herself.

HORIZON (32)

Lift
(Power) Draw a card. If the drawn card is an Ongoing, you may play it now.

Incapacitated
- One player may use a power now.
- Until the start of your next turn, prevent all damage dealt by the Environment.
- Select a Hero. Until the start of your next turn, reduce all damage dealt to that Hero by 1.

One-Shot (16)

Black Hole Cluster (3): (One-Shot) Horizon deals one target 4 irreducible Psychic damage.

Cannonball Run (2): (One-Shot) Horizon deals up to three targets 2 Sonic damage each.

Charisma (2): (One-Shot) Each Hero regains 1 HP.

Clear the Board (2): (One-Shot) Horizon deals herself 2 irreducible Psychic damage. Destroy all Environment cards.

Drop Everything (3): (One-Shot) Destroy an Environment card. If you do, Horizon deals one target 2 projectile damage.

Impulse (2): (One-Shot) Use a power now.

Titan’s Grasp (2): (One-Shot) Choose a target. Until the start of your next turn, that target cannot deal damage.

Ongoing (24)

Debris Halo (3): (Ongoing, Limited) When you use a power, Horizon may deal one target 1 Projectile damage. (Power) Horizon deals all non-Hero targets 1 Projectile damage each. Destroy this card.

Distortion Shield (3): (Ongoing, Limited) Reduce damage dealt to Horizon by 1.

Gravitic Pulse (3): (Ongoing) (Power) Horizon deals all non-Hero targets 1 Psychic damage each.

Heavy Object (3): (Ongoing, Limited) Increase Projectile damage dealt by Horizon by 1. (Power) Horizon deals one target 2 Projectile damage. Destroy this card.

Interdiction (3): (Ongoing, Limited) Whenever a Hero target would be dealt 5 or more damage from a single source, reduce that damage by 2.

Shockwave (3): (Ongoing) (Power) Horizon deals one target 2 Psychic damage.

Vanguard (3): (Ongoing, Limited) Increase damage dealt to Horizon by 1. (Power) Until the start of your next turn, reduce damage dealt to Hero targets by 1. (Power) Horizon regains 2 HP. Destroy this card.

Warp Wall (3): (Ongoing, Limited) Immediately end your turn. Hero targets other than Horizon are immune to damage. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Wow. I can see why this character would be overpowered.

She has 3 cards for each destruction, that also deal 3 damage.

She has an environment wipe that is also a universal sucker punch.

A one shot that replaces its own card play and gives a second power.

She has a Throat Jab.

Those are an incredible set of one shots.

then for ongoings:

She has Vanish's Translocation Accelerator with a strong power that destroys it.

She has a Shielding Winds copy and a -1 taken ongoing.

She has a Grievous Hail Storm and a Tactical Shotgun that also boosts her other projectile damage.

She has a Heroic Interception.

So basically, she has the best cards from a mixture of decks.

Right now she can tank, support and deal a lot of damage. My suggestion would be to think more about how she interacts in a team. Does she work as a primary attacker, a tank, a support, or a leader?

Right now she does it all well. I'd either drop the power on all of her cards a little bit or drop one of those areas significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Also may want to find a focus for the character theme wise which can help limit her a bit. Is she reckless? Is she under control? Make cards that fit that bring out your character without making them seem so godly. Both ability wise and theme wise. They can still be superman, but even he has limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Changelog 29OCT16

Third Incapacitated power revised to only work on one Hero. No real reason for this other than eyeballing and simplicity, but it felt right.

Black Hole Cluster no longer destroys an Ongoing, increased damage to 4 to compensate. I have a bad habit of making characters too well-rounded, and this was unnecessary. Damage was bumped, mostly because I felt bad about her other huge damage nerfs. It might be unnecessary, so I might be fiddling with the exact number and whether it needs to be irreducible.

Clear the board no longer destroys low-HP targets. I'm still keeping the Environment destruction for now, since it will rarely hit more than three cards, and can't keep from hitting beneficial cards. I feel that the damage cost and lack of selective targeting compensate for the potential increased destruction, but I'll keep an eye on how this card performs in testing. I'm also considering increasing the damage cost by 1, for what that might be worth.

Impulse no longer allows a card play. Horizon's base power already allows her to get cards into play quickly, and the combination made her too fast out of the gate.

Titan's Grasp no longer inflicts damage.

Drop Everything, Debris Halo, Gravitic Pulse, Heavy Object, and Shockwave all have reduced damage.

The combination of Debris Halo and Heavy Object was much more effective than I realized, and Horizon's overall offensive output had to be addressed. I'd like to keep her basic strategy of building up and expending buildup for burst, but the exact implementation is up in the air.

I've been thinking of an Ongoing that has effects when cards are destroyed, for synergy with Horizon's self-destructing cards, but nothing solid.

I've gone through several versions of the base power already, and it still feels a little off. Right now it's a draw with a potential play, and I might just end leaving it as one or the other. I'm falling into the trap of wanting to be too cute, when a simpler solution may suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I actually like her base power a lot, it accelerates her build up, but falls off as she gets built up. It's a good power, unless her building up fast is too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.