Hide
6 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Deadbolt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brain craft
msg tools
This one feels uninspired, but I liked playing the character. His gimmick is that his weapon is a staff that can turn into a steel whip or split apart into nunchucks or batons. His other gimmick is that he actually has forensic and medical training, and access to law enforcement resources. In the campaign I used him in, he did an autopsy on a zombie ninja's re-dead corpse the police had collected after a PC battle, which ultimately led the party to the bad guys. In deck design he's basically Expatriette with ammo swapped out for weak general support and Environment manipulation.

His costume is just an unmarked ninja outfit. Because he's a Chinese ninja. C'mon, they can't all be winners.

Bio: Even though Locke Chen’s parents were murdered by assassins, his childhood was relatively normal. You know, being adopted by a rival clan of assassins, undergoing brutal training in stealth, martial arts, and traditional Chinese medicine, that sort of thing. Locke didn’t want to go into the family business, and his new family respected that. He went to college, got a good job as an assistant medical examiner for the Hong Kong Police, tried to do his adoptive folks proud. But when they too were killed by assassins, Locke took up their weapons as the masked vigilante Deadbolt, ready to hunt down and drive out the criminals that had taken from him so much.

DEADBOLT (27)

Meditation
(Power) Reveal the top card of the Environment deck. You may put it into play or replace it. If you put it into play, you may play a card now.

Incapacitated
- Reveal the top two cards of the Environment deck. Place one on the top and one on the bottom of the deck.
- One target regains 2 HP.
- One player may draw 1 card now.

Equipment (8)

Fighting Staff (2): (Equipment, Limited) (Power) Deadbolt deals up to three targets 2 Melee damage each.

Nunchaku (2): (Equipment) (Power) Deadbolt deals one target 1 Melee damage. Deadbolt deals one target 2 Melee damage.

Sectional Whip (2): (Equipment, Limited) (Power) Deadbolt deals one target 3 Melee damage.

Throwing Batons (2): (Equipment, Limited) (Power) Deadbolt deals up to two targets 1 Projectile damage each. Draw a card.

One-Shot (28)

Combination Attack (4): (One-Shot) Use each of your Equipment powers immediately, in any order.

Evidence Collection (3): (One-Shot) Reveal the top three cards of the Environment deck. Return them to the top of the deck in any order. Draw a card.

Golden Comeback (3): (One-Shot) Deadbolt regains 1 HP. Add 2 to the next damage dealt by Deadbolt.

Field Medicine (3): (One-Shot) One target regains 2 HP.

Hidden Weakness (3): (One-Shot) Select a non-Hero target. Until the end of your next turn, all damage dealt to that target is increased by 1.

Paralytic Pressure Points (3): (One-Shot) Deadbolt deals one target 2 Melee damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

Trick Weapon (4): (One-Shot) Reveal cards from the top of your deck until two Equipment cards are revealed. Put one into play and put the other into your hand. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Wall Running (3): (One-Shot) Reduce the next damage that would be dealt to Deadbolt by 2. Draw a card.

Zen Analytics (2): (One-Shot) Reveal the top X+1 cards of your deck, where X = the number of Environment and Villain Ongoing cards in play. Put one revealed card into play and shuffle the others back into your deck.

Ongoing (4)

Cold Case (2): (Ongoing) When an Environment card is destroyed, draw a card.

Desperate Grapple (2): (Ongoing, Limited) Play this card next to a non-Hero target. All damage dealt by Deadbolt to that target or by that target to Deadbolt is increased by 1. If the target leaves play, destroy this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
This guy looks pretty solid. His design addresses a lot of the concern people have about Expatriette, and his support options and card draw help him stand out.

That said, Combination Attack should probably be worded like Unload (you may use as many powers this turn as you have Equipment cards in play), so that you aren't locked into having to use your base power on your power phase. Also, that base power? Pretty neat. I'd also suggest putting may draw a card on Cold Case, unless there's a reason you want to force it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I like this guy, pretty straightforward with good flavor and a sideline in messing with the environment.

Some of the equipment cards seem a bit similar, in particular Sectional Staff vs Nunchuku - 3 vs 2 + 1 are quite analogous, in the absence of damage boost they're identical at single target plus Nunchuku could potentially split targets, with damage bonuses Nunchuku become even better! Compared to Expat or Fixer, not a huge amount of variety here.

Desperate Grapple is a brilliant card, can't believe it's not been made before.

I realize Paralytic Pressure Points is a copy of Throat Jab, but personally I feel Throat Jab is too strong a card, some villains (Plague Rat, Iron Legacy, Ambuscade, Deadline...) can be almost totally shut down by a single card play, and one that deals damage to boot. I'd recommend it either just reducing damage by 1 or only working on non-characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:
I like this guy, pretty straightforward with good flavor and a sideline in messing with the environment.

Some of the equipment cards seem a bit similar, in particular Sectional Staff vs Nunchuku - 3 vs 2 + 1 are quite analogous, in the absence of damage boost they're identical at single target plus Nunchuku could potentially split targets, with damage bonuses Nunchuku become even better! Compared to Expat or Fixer, not a huge amount of variety here.

Desperate Grapple is a brilliant card, can't believe it's not been made before.

I realize Paralytic Pressure Points is a copy of Throat Jab, but personally I feel Throat Jab is too strong a card, some villains (Plague Rat, Iron Legacy, Ambuscade, Deadline...) can be almost totally shut down by a single card play, and one that deals damage to boot. I'd recommend it either just reducing damage by 1 or only working on non-characters?

I had a hard time with these cards. I ended up being lazy and just making all the weapons simple direct damage powers. As for the overlap between Sectional Whip and Nunchaku, I may be overestimating the prevalence of damage reduction in Villain targets, the presence of which favors Sectional Whip. Making Nunchaku 1 and 1 seems too weak, and making it 2 and 2 is clearly too strong, unless I remove the ability to double-target. I'm not totally happy with any of the weapons, but I don't want to make them too complex to use.

Desperate Grapple is just a much worse version of Ultimate Target. I'm thinking it needs a way to clear itself, so Deadbolt doesn't screw himself too hard when he plays it on the boss. Hidden Weakness is likewise a worse version of a card Chrono-Ranger has; which is fine, character capabilities don't overlap evenly.

I don't think Throat Jab is as bad a card as people say. Hypersonic Assault trivializes way more board states, and Tachyon has an easier time playing them. Most proposals for nerfing it go too far the other way. Making it only work on non-character targets means that it would be totally useless against a lot of Villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
braincraft wrote:
I had a hard time with these cards. I ended up being lazy and just making all the weapons simple direct damage powers. As for the overlap between Sectional Whip and Nunchaku, I may be overestimating the prevalence of damage reduction in Villain targets, the presence of which favors Sectional Whip. Making Nunchaku 1 and 1 seems too weak, and making it 2 and 2 is clearly too strong, unless I remove the ability to double-target. I'm not totally happy with any of the weapons, but I don't want to make them too complex to use.

Desperate Grapple is just a much worse version of Ultimate Target. I'm thinking it needs a way to clear itself, so Deadbolt doesn't screw himself too hard when he plays it on the boss. Hidden Weakness is likewise a worse version of a card Chrono-Ranger has; which is fine, character capabilities don't overlap evenly.

I don't think Throat Jab is as bad a card as people say. Hypersonic Assault trivializes way more board states, and Tachyon has an easier time playing them. Most proposals for nerfing it go too far the other way. Making it only work on non-character targets means that it would be totally useless against a lot of Villains.

With the weapons, the Fighting Staff, Sectional Whip and Throwing Batons all have clear uses, to my mind the Nunchuku need a bit more than just damage a bit differently. Off the top of my head, clearly Staff is AoE and Batons are utility, if Whip and Nunchucks are supposed to be single target, maybe have them pull more strongly in different directions? Maybe whip is 3 irreducible for when they're armored up, and Nunchucks is deal a a single target 1 melee damage, then 1 melee damage, then 1 melee damage, for when you have boosts out?

For Desperate Grapple, you could give it a Power: Destroy this, but that's pretty annoying to waste a power using. Maybe "At the end of your turn, you may destroy this"? Having the trigger at the end of the turn also makes it a bit stronger, you're always going to have the use of it one turn longer than the enemy.

Regarding making Throat Jab only work on non-characters, even against a target-less villain, there is usually some irritating environment target it's not wasted on. Also, I'd agree that Hypersonic assault is worse than Throat Jab, but that doesn't mean Throat jab isn't pretty crazy in its own right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Since a lot of those weapons aren't just for damage, but are meant to give you other advantages in battle, why not give them some additional flavor.

Off the top of my head I would go something like:

Whip: deal 1 target 2 damage and reduce damage dealt by that target by 1 until your next turn.
Simple disarm/trip like attack, it could deal 2 damage because unlike other powers in the game that do the same at 1 damage, this one isn't going to hit multiple times in a turn/round.

Nunchucks: Deal a target 1 melee, discard a card to repeat this power. (with some damage boosts and a big hand would be an epic hand emptying throw down) He has solid card draw and no use for extra cards, this would give him something to build up to.

Staff: I'd leave it the same, you need one steady damage power.

Batons: Good as is, it is a Mere-esque power.

Reading your account of him I'd consider a card like:

Autopsy kit
Equipment
the first time a villain target is destroyed each turn you may discard a card, if you do two players may draw a card.

Since cards are often representing resources and time, you can spend time (discard) to perform an autopsy to gain information to help the team (2 card draws that can replace your discard or just fuel allies)

I like the idea of a police connected forensic ninja a lot.

I like a lot of the cards, and his base power is awesome. Rook City Wraith is jealous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.