Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of picking this up, but have no idea on the quality of components, mainly the cards. Are they decent stock?

Are the time and ship tokens ok?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flash7713
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're great. Cards are really nicely finished and the ship tokens etc, while pretty simple, have consistent paint and look professional. My only complaint would be the box, where the cover is a wrap around label that needs to be split along an edge to get the box open (not as bad as it sounds). A great game though, and well worth picking up.

Edit: and the art and general graphic design is brilliant (as you can see from the images), can't believe I didn't mention that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I'm thinking of picking this up, but have no idea on the quality of components, mainly the cards. Are they decent stock?

Are the time and ship tokens ok?

Thanks.

The game is produced in-house in a small arts-and-crafts shop. They use professional equipment, but board games aren't their stock in trade. The location cards are not quite uniform (though this doesn't really affect the game at all) and the outcome cards are pretty low quality paper, which is kind of a bummer because they're small and there are 90 of them and they have to be shuffled a lot, which is difficult. That's actually my main beef with the game; I've racked my brain unsuccessfully trying to come up with an alternative to the outcome cards that preserves their effect. All of the other components are high quality, the art is great, and the game itself is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmcseph wrote:
I think they're great. Cards are really nicely finished and the ship tokens etc, while pretty simple, have consistent paint and look professional.

You must be joking, or wrote about another game.
Tokens in my copy of the game are not fully painted.
Edges of the cards are not smoothly finished.
But the worst part is money. Bills are made from very, very, very thin paper. The very first thing to do after unboxing is to replace them by poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flash7713
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, not in my copy. I was actually impressed at the quality of the tokens and cards. Paper money I completely forgot to mention and yep, I completely agree with you, too thin and useless....

Ok, so I guess the composite review is "inconsistent"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
The components I got were good, except of course for the ridiculous paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, so a bit of a mixed bag it sounds like. I'll have to think about it given it's a bit on the pricey side when all is said and done.

Too bad they don't offer a PnP option where you can simply buy the files and make it yourself.

As for the outcome cards, I guess if you're willing to spend a few more bucks you could try to have them printed at Artscow or Printer Studio on better quality cardstock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Hmm, so a bit of a mixed bag it sounds like.

Not really. I think it's more like: It depends on what you expect.

The design is easy as well thought through and executed as the most professionally produced games (better than many in fact, which can tend toward the gaudy). The actual production is slightly crafty though, and I think that's what puts off some people (thought it really shouldn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To compare it to video games, it is not the AAA block buster in graphics, but everything else is top notch. If a game does not depend on shiny, detailed, painted minis in order to be compelling for you and you like the idea of LE, you should get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested, just buy it!

The money apparently sucks. But seriously I didn't even know that, because I never use paper money. If you don't own a set of poker chips to replace ever having to touch paper money (and tiddlywinks,small ass money tokens) then I think that should be your next purchase.

The outcome cards are decent quality, but as you do shuffle them a lot and marking of the cards matters, I recommend buying 100 mini sleeves for them.

The quality of the components I. This game is really good, but as mentioned above, the designer, gameplay and community are stellar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
do new orders from their website ship quickly? I wasn't entirely sure how much / if any stock they had available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
do new orders from their website ship quickly? I wasn't entirely sure how much / if any stock they had available

We have a fair amount of stock available right now, and we're already in the middle of our next printing run, which will probably be done next week. So if you order this weekend, I'd expect your order to ship out early next week.

For those of you who don't know, I'm the designer, and I work for Lumenaris, the publisher. It's a company of about a dozen employees (several of whom I'm related to).

We make Leaving Earth in print runs of about two hundred copies at a time (more or less), so as long as it's still selling well, it shouldn't be going out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game quite a bit, and the cards are holding up just fine.

One potential problem I worry about is that this is a space game, which means the location cards and most of the mission cards are dark, and dark cards can show knicks after a lot of use. (Think about old, black-border Magic cards...)

So you could sleeve them if you wanted to protect them. I'm usually a fanatic "sleever", but with this game, I chose not to sleeve the cards because I didn't want it to interfere with the art. The art in this game is beautiful. If I wear out my copy, I'll buy another. Honestly, I am considering buying another copy to have "just in case" because this is my favorite game. It is also relatively inexpensive, so if you wore it out you could afford to buy another copy. But mine is holding up great after about 13 months of consistent play.

The paper money is similar to the paper money in Monopoly or Operation. I don't mind it, but could see how swapping it out for poker chips would be a good way to bling out the game--same with the tokens.

Component quality should not deter you from experiencing this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
anatana wrote:

We have a fair amount of stock available right now, and we're already in the middle of our next printing run, which will probably be done next week. So if you order this weekend, I'd expect your order to ship out early next week.

For those of you who don't know, I'm the designer, and I work for Lumenaris, the publisher. It's a company of about a dozen employees (several of whom I'm related to).

We make Leaving Earth in print runs of about two hundred copies at a time (more or less), so as long as it's still selling well, it shouldn't be going out of print.

Are there any differences between the copies you have in stock and the copies that are currently being printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Are there any differences between the copies you have in stock and the copies that are currently being printed?

They're the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I generally like the components. The cards are gorgeous, and the ship counters are Ok. I might try to find a few colored glass or ceramic "stones" to use in place of the ship counters, though.

The currency is not good at all. The flimsiness of the bills is acceptable, but they are so slippery that picking them up can be a hassle. Some have suggested using poker chips. I will look into that, although I don't play poker and don't know how big they are. They might work as long as they're not too gaudy, and preferably about the size of a US 25 cent piece. Maybe one color for ones, another for fives, etc.

I really like the *design* of the currency.

Another thing I like about the currency is that it comes in million-dollar denominations. Thinking in millions, to me, is more realistic than saying "I'm going to buy a space probe for two dollars." I would actually prefer the smallest currency unit to be 10 million dollars.

Overall, the game is absolutely beautiful to look at. I LOVE the way the destination cards fit together to graphically represent the solar system. Looking at the destination cards makes you want to go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.