United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
For Dracula's convenience, here is the Dracula reference map with the associated location card numbers. In my experience, I think trying to convert locations to location card by name is painful find a location card by name is slower than finding it by index number. It isn't for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Really? They're alphabetical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:
Trying to convert locations...
What do you mean by that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, maybe it is just me, but with the pressure of the group waiting on Dracula, I found it easier and faster to associate with numbers (and make less mistakes). There are also a couple of city names that are less friendly to pronounce, but that is due to unfamiliarity with the region, especially when playing with a younger crowd. I heard "Bord-ox" more than once from my daughter.

Now when a hunter moves to a region, they can say "[bad_pronuncation] 8", and it just clarifies. Also searching a deck of 69 cards is faster to estimate position by numerical index value than by an uneven alphabetical value, but that is just the engineer speaking.

But, to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
kiloforce wrote:
Trying to convert locations...
What do you mean by that?

I am curious too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you are going to use this image in place of Dracula's reference card, but you are also going to put the numbers on the board with a Sharpie or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I guess he could just print out a copy for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
I guess he could just print out a copy for everybody.

Well, but then everyone would always be looking back and forth between their reference sheet and the board, "Umm... I think I'm on... yeah, space 32. No, sorry, 17."

It would be easier if the numbers were printed right on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Actually, I can see that it might be useful for kids or people struggling with the place names. I'm not really getting the numerical-easier-than-alphabetical though. I hope you haven't written on the lovely board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own. I found this convenient. You may not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:

I find the alphabetical order convenient enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
kiloforce wrote:

I don't think anyone is knocking the idea. We are just puzzled by what you meant and how this helps. To us, it seems you are giving us a solution to a problem we are not aware of.

If you could explain the problem, maybe the solution would make more sense to us.

EDIT - I see you clarified the OP. I still don't really understand the problem with using the names, but sure; if you find this makes things easier that can only be a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Orion3T wrote:
kiloforce wrote:

I don't think anyone is knocking the idea. We are just puzzled by what you meant and how this helps. To us, it seems you are giving us a solution to a problem we are not aware of.

If you could explain the problem, maybe the solution would make more sense to us.

EDIT - I see you clarified the OP. I still don't really understand the problem with using the names, but sure; if you find this makes things easier that can only be a good thing.

What the OP is talking about with the names is that the alphabet is not an even distribution. Hence:

Alicante (first A): A = 1st letter, Card = 1, 0% into the alphabet, 0% into the deck
Cadiz (first C): C = 3rd letter, Card = 12, 8% into the alphabet, 18% into the deck
Le Havre (first L): L = 12th letter, Card = 29, 42% into the alphabet, 47% into the deck
Valona (first V): V = 22nd letter, Card = 55, 80% into the alphabet, 90% into the deck

(Note: the above math is done on just the 60 card location deck, without any power cards. I like to keep the sea ones separate since it's obvious that you chose one of those. I also pull my cards out of view. If you added the other cards, the math would still come up with similar results of the cards alphabetical position sometimes skewing because of how names are not evenly distributed throughout the alphabet.)

Does that make sense? I agree that it's a minor complaint, but I recognize that people's brains can vary quite a lot and what might be a small issue to me can be larger to other people. I think it would have been best for them to print tiny numbers on the board like they did on the cards. But since they didn't, short of taking a fine point sharpie to it I find the solutions are worse than the problem for me.

Edit: Personally, a bigger complaint for me is that the location names are at the TOP of the cards rather than the left side. On the left side, they'd be much easier to compactly riffle through a deck under the table to find the one I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, that makes more sense now. And I agree with you, both regarding the cure being worse than the disease, and about where they put the names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.