$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 116.73

7,094 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
Added with an edit-- I was reminded that IIRC the study included the costs to society of the lost wages and other costs borne by the victim's family, etc.


Recently I saw a link in a post to an article that claimed that a study had been done to calculate the dollar cost per actual murder in America. The number they calculated was frightfully high.

I'm not saying that it is too high.*

I can't find it now. Can anyone help me find it again.

I guess the authors added up all the costs and divided by the number of murders** [over some time period and normalized it to 1 year]. Costs at all gov. levels in total.
. . . I remember that they included the costs of keeping those convicted behind bars, or 'watching' while on parole, the costs for all the appeals, the costs for the courts, DAs, and Public defenders to try the cases, the costs for time spent by the police investigating murders and arresting and housing the suspects until/during the trial. And any other costs like expert witnesses. But, not the costs of enforcing gun laws and other such indirect costs.
. . . I assume that they divided by the number of murders and not the number of convictions or prisoners.

I assume that the authors wanted to get a figure for how much America spends per murder per year to enforce the anti-murder laws on the books. IIRC, the number they got was about $3 Million / murder.


. * . I'm saying that a] the cost of programs that might reduce murders in America should be seen as trying to reduce the total we spend enforcing the anti-murder laws, and b] the cost of protecting our citizens from other crimes should be considered in light of how much we spend enforcing our anti-murder laws. For instance it might be cheaper to provide round the clock police protection for [say 10%] of spouses who need it than it is to pay after the fact if they are murdered. [The 10% and the fact that the protection would be provided in a way that was not obvious to the stalker is intended to make all stalkers not know if protection is being provided. This might deter some of them.]

. **. They might have included the costs and numbers of "attempted murders", but I don't remember.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh.. link please?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[Something, something, without a monetary system there would be no murders, something]

...just to nip that one in the bud before it could derail. Otherwise, interesting topic, please proceed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
ImaSokpupet wrote:
Maybe we should pay people not to murder, kind of like how they pay kids to go to school to lower the dropout rate.

Or, Maybe we should pay kids to go to school to lower the dropout rate and increase the amount they learn, like we pay adults to go to work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the sharing economy!

3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno . . . I'm kind of in favor of anti-murder laws.

But in case they're overturned, tell me . . . would "right to murder" be extended to everyone, or just Democrats?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
I dunno . . . I'm kind of in favor of anti-murder laws.

But in case they're overturned, tell me . . . would "right to murder" be extended to everyone, or just Democrats?

you are mentally insane
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
[Something, something, without a monetary system there would be no murders, something]

...just to nip that one in the bud before it could derail. Otherwise, interesting topic, please proceed.


That was an uncanny impersonation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
XanderF wrote:
[Something, something, without a monetary system there would be no murders, something]

...just to nip that one in the bud before it could derail. Otherwise, interesting topic, please proceed.


That was an uncanny impersonation.


I disagree. There was no plea to investigate anything. Good, to be sure, but not uncanny.

Frankie Bitcoin impression meter: 7/10
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The premise is invalid. How do you account for the murders which do not take place exactly because of the enforcement apparatus in place? A proper study wluld be multi faceted seeking to compare rates in countries of similar standing over multiple years then referencing thst data against comparative costs in those same countries during the same period.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I dunno . . . I'm kind of in favor of anti-murder laws.

But in case they're overturned, tell me . . . would "right to murder" be extended to everyone, or just Democrats?



It isn't going to be that the right to murder is extended to Democrats. It's just that Republicans and Libertarians are gonna be reclassified as non-human, single-celled organisms and thus not offered protections under the law.

Sheesh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
I assume that they divided by the number of murders and not the number of convictions or prisoners.


How do they calculate projected earning and projected losses to the system ?

So Elon Musk dies, his life is probably a loss as he take a lot of tax money, but he generates a lot of revenue.

But your average Democrat voting life loser who spends his entire life hustling disability checks is probably going to go in black column on the balance sheet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
I assume that they divided by the number of murders and not the number of convictions or prisoners.


How do they calculate projected earning and projected losses to the system ?

So Elon Musk dies, his life is probably a loss as he take a lot of tax money, but he generates a lot of revenue.

But your average Democrat voting life loser who spends his entire life hustling disability checks is probably going to go in black column on the balance sheet.

Come to think of it, you're right. They did include as costs the lost 'wages' of the victims. Somehow.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if it is a career criminal, wouldn't their be savings on future trials, future incarceration, future victims not injured or murdered, future robberies not investigated.. etc.

Also, for most people murdered, there will be a roughly $500,000 savings on government expenses for social security, medicare, and medicaid.

And capital which they saved in their bank or home will be released into the economy decades earlier creating a burst of economic activity.

As Zorg said,
Quote:

"Life, which you so nobly serve, comes from destruction, disorder, and chaos. Now take this empty glass. Here it is: peaceful, serene, boring. But if it is destroyed -

[Pushes the glass off the table. It shatters on the floor, and several small machines come out to clean it up]

Zorg: Look at all these little things! So busy now! Notice how each one is useful. Why a lovely ballet ensues, so full of form and color. Now, think about all those people that created them. Technicians, engineers, hundreds of people, who will be able to feed their children tonight, so those children can grow up big and strong and have little teeny weeny children of their own, and so on and so forth. Thus, adding to the great chain of life. You see, father, by causing a little destruction, I am in fact encouraging life. In reality, you and I are in the same business."

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think of the money we could save if we hustled these guys off to Carousel!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Just think of the money we could save if we hustled these guys off to Carousel!


Renew! Renew!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Just think of the money we could save if we hustled these guys off to Carousel!


Renew! Renew!

Mad props for the "Logan's Run" references. Disappointed no photo of Jenny Agutter was included.

Btw, this is the weirdest attempt at a serious topic I've ever run into. The only way to make murder prosecution cheap is to shoot the first suspect(s) as soon as they are located, picked off the street, whatever, and then call it good. You're getting that price down to $600-800 for the cop(s) salary and benefits, and maybe half a buck for the bullet. Call it good and you've got time to catch a game on TV and knock back a couple of cold ones.

My work here is done...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Disappointed no photo of Jenny Agutter was included.


Here you go!

1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.