Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Lam
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a two player game with my girlfriend yesterday and misinterpreted a rule for how to perform the two observations per third. After watching some video reviews on how it is actually supposed to work, I think the way we played was a little more interesting and removed the need for a 'dummy player' (which we didn't use anyways).

Instead of the other person only being able to use the six dice presented when the other person finished rolling, we played where the person who is not rolling could choose to use their observation after each roll but ONLY from the most recently rolled set. So basically the other person could not use set aside dice. We followed the rule where you can only do one observation per turn.

This added a fun twist in that you would hope they roll what you need with all six dice and if they didn't you are faced with "do I take something less optimal now or wait and hope they roll what I need next?" With only rolling four dice you have less chance of that happening and then a similar situation arises when they are down to their last two dice roll. Maybe you're hoping for one more octopod or maybe you need a critical research action. Each roll of their turn gives you another chance so I always felt engaged when not my turn.

I not sure how this would work with more than two players but I feel like with more rolling this variant might make the game too easy at higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds interesting. I will certainly give it a shot the net time I play two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.