8 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Objective cards...to play or not to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Murphy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have played, what was your strategy for objective cards you gained? My gut reaction was that I'll never play one and will score what I can at the end of the game, but this is countered by the reasons not to do this:

1. You get a bonus for playing the card.
2. You can see in front of you what you are shooting for rather than trying to remember/messing around noting it down.
3. It gets the card out of your herd deck.
4. Reason(s) I have missed/not thought about.

Just wondered how it plays out? Seems an interesting choice on paper, but do you find it plays out one way or the other in practice?

Looking forward to playing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
Bornheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's worse: they clog up your hand. You have to use a special action to get rid of them (or go to Kansas City). So I play them as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
max bredow wrote:
What's worse: they clog up your hand.

Are objective cards part of the cattle (hand) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max bredow wrote:
This is the main point in my mind. They're like a 0-value cow card that's hard to get rid of. There are circumstances where a grey 1-value cow might be handy, but a goal (in hand) is even less useful.

The option to remove them from your deck seems most useful for goals you pick up near the end of the game. Since the end is caused by a player action, it can be difficult to know whether you'll have time to complete a goal. Considering the penalty for failing to meet a goal, you might avoid them. However, the "may remove at end" rule reduces the ris; there's still some since it might clog up your hand while you're still unsure about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eniac_g wrote:
max bredow wrote:
Are objective cards part of the cattle (hand) ?
They are placed in your discard pile, eventually drawn, and can then be played. Playing them gives an immediate benefit, but you risk a penalty if you don't compete it. If you leave them in your deck, you can remove or play them (without the immediate benefit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
Bornheim
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max bredow wrote:
What's worse: they clog up your hand. You have to use a special action to get rid of them (or go to Kansas City). So I play them as soon as I can.

To be clear: By "get rid of them" I meant to use the "take 1(2), discard 1(2)" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Murphy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the fact that if they show they stick around in your hand till you get to KC hadn't quite sunk into my brain!

I'm looking forward to making a complete mess of it in my first game soon :-)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, they are worse than the grey 1 cow in your hand. Also having them in plain view is much better to see how many of your hazards/tipis/... are already used, and how many you still need.

In early/mid game I always play them as soon as they come up in my hand. Of course this has to do with my strategy when, whether and which to take:
- early game: take one or two which are easy anyway (require 1 or 2 buildings, 1 or 2 disks moved to the cities/stations, a tipi you have anyway)
- mid game: take only ones which you've (almost) completed

In late game/on my last trip I take whatever may still fit since it's unlikely that the game goes on long enough for them ot wind up in my hand - they'll probably still be in my discard pile when the game ends (and if I draw them, then I only play them if it's safe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.