Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Vermeersch
Belgium
ghent
Select..
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all

I am planning to play this game the coming weekend, but as a tutorial I would be playing this game with a friend, to cover the basic rules (to hell with it, to enjoy the game sooner ).

It is my understanding that, for a campaign, we should follow 1a - 2 a - 3a for the standard difficulty, or 1b - 2b - 3b - ... for a harder experience.

Now, would it be possible to start off with one of the expansions, like Witch's Grotto or The Hideout?

I would be using The Hideout then or something for our introductory game, as we have already received quite an extensive demo with most of the rules covered at Essen Spiel .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
Timo mentioned possible campaign orders
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21395464#21395464
Eridis wrote:

No, it means that as the amount of campaigns is likely to increase, you can use Hideout between any campaigns. We have now three campaigns, you could play those in any order, such as:

Abyssal Rift -> Witch's Grotto -> Hideout
Hideout -> Abyssal Rift -> Witch's Grotto
Witch's Grotto -> Abyssal Rift -> Hideout
Witch's Grotto -> Hideout -> Abyssal Rift

And once you'll get more campaigns you can return to Hideout (for trading/healing)

My suggestion is that you still play 1a as a one shot scenario and start the campaign afterwards.
I've read the rules 3 times, watched the video but still made some errors because you need to get used to the rules and the rondal.
These were my major errors in the game 1a scenario I played yesterday.
1. You can't move through heros
A hero which is next to or door completly blocks the way for the other heros. A passage which is only one square wide forces your heros to move in line no one can overtake without special cards. To bad if the first hero can not move forward during one round.
2. Line of sight
If you walk in a line only the first and last hero can attack or be the targets of attacks. If there is another hero on the square next to a door. You can not attack the other side of the door neither straight nor diagonal. The other hero blocks the square on which he stands and the walls next to the door block the squares diagonal to him. Therefot the los for other heros is blocked.

Of course I made some others like aiding while resting but I realized them soon enough to revert my actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I think those were a good summary of why I'd also suggest always trying the 1A. It teaches you most of the rules and tactics basics.

The concepts such as Heros blocking movement, LoS and range are important and 1A should teach those in a "safe" environment.

Each suggested campaign path order does have it's own merits. I can speculate more on those, should that be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Looking at the picture showing the dungeon, Witches' Grotto should be played before the Rift because it is placed directly before the entrance to the main dungeon.

I think playing the Hideout beforehand so you have the hideout when you need it would also make sense.

At that point it'd be interesting to know if the designers think that it's possible to leave the Rift during the campaign to return to the hideout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
Looking at the picture showing the dungeon, Witches' Grotto should be played before the Rift because it is placed directly before the entrance to the main dungeon.

I think playing the Hideout beforehand so you have the hideout when you need it would also make sense.

At that point it'd be interesting to know if the designers think that it's possible to leave the Rift during the campaign to return to the hideout.

If you leave any campaign at middle, you should play it again when you return.

And on AR, thematically that would mean ultimate failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also other tutorial scenarios you can use, but ideally after 1a. Maybe it makes the most sense to play 1a, than some standalone scenario and then start the mega-campaign with Hideout to enable its features "between scenarios".

You can play the current three campaigns together in any order, but Hideout has impact on all campaigns and WG unlocks another hero for you plus it can have impact on the core campaign (alternative level one scenario), so IMO there is only one logical order play:

Hideout - WG - Abyssal Rift
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Vermeersch
Belgium
ghent
Select..
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

Thanks for the detailed responses!

We have played scenario 1a twice and made some errors in both runthroughs, mainly about the circled actions on the rondel (the 2:1 ratio) and line of sight.

Overall, so far best 'discovery' at Essen 2016 (backed it, but cancelled pledge when I realized it was a campaign game, and me and my friends never have managed to finish one, but we'll be sticking with this one )

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
There are also other tutorial scenarios you can use, but ideally after 1a. Maybe it makes the most sense to play 1a, than some standalone scenario and then start the mega-campaign with Hideout to enable its features "between scenarios".

You can play the current three campaigns together in any order, but Hideout has impact on all campaigns and WG unlocks another hero for you plus it can have impact on the core campaign (alternative level one scenario), so IMO there is only one logical order play:

Even if I think that David's logic IS impeccable, it doesn't take in to account the very real possibility that you kill one or more heroes during HO or WG, which then severely limits your possibilities with AR.

Or even if you don't actually KILL your heroes, it's an interesting question whether Treasures gained from WG and/or HO do outweight the wounds you gain from the very same locations. That depends on how well you play.

In an ideal situation, you stroll through both WG and HO and ONLY gain benefits. But I was not as good a player - maybe you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mrakomor wrote:

That's how I'm planning to do the stuff for now.

Eridis wrote:

In an ideal situation, you stroll through both WG and HO and ONLY gain benefits. But I was not as good a player - maybe you are.

Timo, could you give an estimate relative difficulty level for the three campaigns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
mrakomor wrote:

That's how I'm planning to do the stuff for now.

Eridis wrote:

Timo, could you give an estimate relative difficulty level for the three campaigns?

WG is likely the easiest. Sure, it has also tougher scenarios, but overall, that is likely the easiest.

HO is very different than others. The style of scenarios requires different kind of thinking.

AR is demanding, no matter how you play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.