49% of Goal | left

Support:

Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a card game I've been working on in my free time over the last two years. It's basically a resource production/engine building game with people instead of buildings and no actual resources except gold. I'll soon start the internal playtesting phase. I'll update this regularly with more pictures, and tell you more about the rules. Right now I just want to show everyone what the cards look like. Do you like what you see? Do you get an idea of how the game might work by looking at these?

Subscribe to this thread to follow the development of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothe Lapetite
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
Sub'd !

Art is really nice. It woudld taste sweet if it was edible ^^

Regarding Colin comment, I just want to add that you shouldn't rely too much on how it looks on a screen since the printing process tend to darken everything a bit (but lower contrasts too), except pure white, so you should getting better contrasts in the end.

As for what I understand from looking at the cards :
- you have 'building slots', which you can upgrade by putting better cards on top of the previous one (vintner < wine trader)
- you need a specific build order in order to build specifc cards (wine trader require vintner)
- some character are concurrent to others, and as such prevent each other from being built (wine trader locks you out from buidling the glasser ?)
- some perks carry on from an upgrade to another (cooper allowed, green lock ?)
- cooper is some sort of joker that can be built anywhere

Now what is totally confusing to me :
- the keys and their color scheme. Grey, red, blue, nothing seems to match these colors in the cards (also : think color blind people, maybe adopt unique lock/key pairs/designs, keyring for multi-purposes key as I feel there's some sort of all-in-one mechanic )
- the 'you can play this card next' preview, visible on the Vintner card (wine trader (9)), looks like the 7 wonders's free building mechanic, but since it's the only card on your picture which has it, I'm puzzled ^^
- lock system seems obscure, again, only color is very dangerous from an accessibility standpoint. If green 'unlocks' (does it ?), then go for an open lock in addition to the color.

Unless I'm totally wrong, it seems that the design only tells a lot with very few elements, which is a sign of a bunch of simple mechanics working wonders when put together.

Can't wait to see more !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the subscription, and great tip about the printing! I'll be ordering a test print for internal playtesting soon, I'll keep the colors the way they are in that print to check how much they contrast with the pure white background.

You're mostly right about the rules, except the locks and keys A lock signifies a prerequisite card, the brewer needs you or another player to have a cooper, no beer without barrels! The vintner also needs barrels, so a cooper is a prerequisite there as well. If another player builds the cooper, you'll have to pay him 1 gold for each card you want to unlock. If you have a cooper yourself, you earn 1 gold from the bank instead. The coloring of the keys is to give a hint towards what cards are unlocked by that card. The shipwright unlocks a fisher(grey key) and a smuggler(red key). First time players won't be able to know exactly what cards to look for with their unlocks, but they'll know what colors to keep an eye on.

I can see how this can be hard to guess from that one picture
More pictures can be found in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658145/what-do-you-think-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my testprint for the game! This is the version I'll be using for my first playtests with friends. Quoting my post about it here:
Haakon Gaarder wrote:
I just recieved a test print of the game from ivory game maker. Very pleased with the results! I wrote a bit about the experience here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677607/my-experience-ivory...

The cards are tarot sized, so that's quite a bit larger than regular poker size.

Here you can see the size compared to a regular poker sized card from Paperback and a bridge sized card from Blue Moon Legends.

I've gone for this size because it makes the text easier to read and makes the art look better. From my solo testing I find it very comfortable not having to lean forward to read stuff or see what my "opponents" are doing on the other side of the table.

Here is what the game looks like at the beginning of round 1. As you can see many of the cards don't have any artwork yet.

The downside of the larger card is that you have to learn to shuffle bigger cards(just getting the hang of it), though you only have to shuffle at the very beginning of the game. Also it takes up more table space. I might end up with smaller cards in the end, but right now I'm leaning towards the big cards.

The testprinting has revealed that I should probably go for a regular instead of bold font for the smaller text. In real life the bold text is too thick.

I did a test packing the game into the box for the Horned Rat expansion for CITOW, fits perfectly. Will need to get a box that size.

Here is what the game looked like at the end of the four player solo playtest:

Time for more playtesting(Wish I ordered some blank cards as well)!

I'll write about the rules and story here soon, just need to playtest a little more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.