17 Posts

Martians: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: is one mode clearly superior to the others? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
msg tools
mbmbmb
So the game got solo, coop, semi-comp and competitive modes. I got the game at Essen, playing it this weekend for the first time.

Would you say that one mode is clearly superior to the others? Like that the game was designed for that one mode and the others are just interesting not quite as good variants? Or are all modes equally well developed?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't really comment on all modes as I've only played solo so far, but I can say that solo is very well designed.

Personally I'm looking forward to trying it semi-coop and competitive when I'll play it multiplayer, as I'm not really fond of pure co-op games. The semi-coop (and co-op/solo) has the added bonus of having a scenario which gives nice variability and more stuff to do, but the competitive too sounds interesting with the additional cycle and the commission cards/hidden goals.

Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences with multiplayer modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 2 player competitive game today (first game for both of us). It took us forever to get started as the rules are just awful. Once we played, it felt like a rather generic worker placement without a tension curve. We finished the game underwhelmed and both thought that coop should be more fun with the different scenarios.

So we tried the New Schedule scenario but eventually abandoned it in the middle of cycle 2 as more rules questions regarding the coop aspects arose and we were getting more and more annoyed by the terribly structured rulebook. Also, the scenario could be summarized as "do this special action 3 times over the course of the game" which was disappointing.

I still suppose coop and semi-coop probably work better than competitive, but to be honest, the two of us weren't thrilled either way. I actually wouldn't be surprised if solo were the best way to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning,

I've spent about 8 hours over the past two days reviewing and editing the English version of the rulebook. While it's eminently salvageable, I'm afraid that the designer is unwilling to have it printed.

From my reading of the rules, however, it seems to be an engaging game so I really do hope that's better than you've described in your post.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning, did you read the FAQ? Currently i´m playing the 2-Player Coop-Version alone for learning the game. After reading the FAQ, it seems pretty clear for me now and i haven´t much rules-questions coming up so far. Maybe you would like to post yours here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Professor wrote:
Henning,

I've spent about 8 hours over the past two days reviewing and editing the English version of the rulebook. While it's eminently salvageable, I'm afraid that the designer is unwilling to have it printed.

From my reading of the rules, however, it seems to be an engaging game so I really do hope that's better than you've described in your post.

Cheers,
Joe

Nice! Where can I find your edit of the rule book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis,

I can send you a copy if you provide an e-mail address. Admittedly, due to its large size (25M), only about half of the several dozen folks to whom I've sent it actually receive it. Once I return home, I'll attempt DropBox, as mentioned by one of the Backers. The designer has a copy, and I've asked him if we can simply post it here on BGG, but I haven't received a response. Again, simply GeekMail me your e-mail address.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedImp Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Tyrael_ wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Henning,

Cheers,
Joe

http://martians.redimpgames.com/RULES/Martians%20Rulebook%20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krzysztof,

Thanks. Unfortunately, the copy doesn't permit access to the Sticky Notes.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Krzysztof,

Thanks. Unfortunately, the copy doesn't permit access to the Sticky Notes.

Cheers,
Joe

Works for me. Though it depends on your pdf reader's capabilities. Sumatra pdf didn't let me read them, but when I opened the file in Adobe Reader it seemed just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christoph,

Thank you very much for letting us know!

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indeed, on my Mac I opened the file and via Settings I could see the sticky notes. I'm curious for the end result and I hope RedImp provides a print to all owners of Martians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis,

Duarte is right based on everything we've heard from the designer to this point. He's unwilling to make the changes and reprint the rulebook. We've had a few positive exchanges and he may actually make the changes in the rulebook, but printing them is out of the question...at least, thus far.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavi Bové
Spain
Granollers
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redimp wrote:
Tyrael_ wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Henning,

Cheers,
Joe

http://martians.redimpgames.com/RULES/Martians%20Rulebook%20...

Just to be sure, this link is to get the edited rules, correct?
I'm quite worried about all the noise arround this issue and have been waiting for a final solution before going for a first play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavi,

Well, to be clear, the link takes you to the .pdf I conveyed to Krzysztof, which contains 160 edits. As it's a .pdf, the document remains "unedited."

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.