Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old is starting to talk a lot about Pokémon and I know there are some card games out there. When should he start playing a game like this? Where does someone begin? I imagine reading is involved and he's not able to read cards. But we play games like Epic Duels, new Risk Star Wars, and Formula D. Is there anything light and Pokémon related?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
around 7-8 for pokemon tcg, 6 if they are very advanced.

You can buy a few packs of cards or a bunch of crappy commons on auction sites though and give him to them now to start getting him interested. Play without energy and use the numbers on the attacks and some gem style counters (or pennies, cubes, etc.) to show the basic battle mechanic. it will help him/her with math skills. Plus you can make funny sounds and just pretend your PokieManz are battling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started my daughter on a simplified version of Magic when she was 8 (somehow, incredibly, I missed knowing about Pokemon which we didn't discover until later). I imagine an enterprising 5-year-old could definitely 'play' pokemon with simplified rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokemon master trainer is very simple if you can get your hands on a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Pokemon master trainer is very simple if you can get your hands on a copy

Yup roll and move. He can learn the basics of a game but don't play to win because most kids dunno how to plan or fight. I say just catch some Pokemon then end the game in an hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokemon was available using the Yahtzee Jr. system. It is a fun game and can lead on to games like King of Tokyo.
If you do not mind the work you could use a generic bingo maker and use Pokemon 'like' images .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Pokemon Go app? Good for getting you and the kid outdoors. Set up some boundaries on how he can play the game (eg. must go out with an adult or sibling).

http://parentzone.org.uk/article/pokemon-go-parents-guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done the Pokémon Go and was just looking for something that's a change of pace. I'll be on the look out for an affordable Master Trainer set and may pick up some TCG cards cheaply too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Its not a board game but, my 5 year old likes playing the Pokemon Shuffle app. Its sort of a Bejeweled/ Candy Crush clone, but you can capture and use different Pokemon on the various levels.

You might also want to look into the Pokemon Trading figure game. Its long out of print, but I think you might still be able to get some of the starters cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mdeck86 wrote:
around 7-8 for pokemon tcg, 6 if they are very advanced.

You can buy a few packs of cards or a bunch of crappy commons on auction sites though and give him to them now to start getting him interested. Play without energy and use the numbers on the attacks and some gem style counters (or pennies, cubes, etc.) to show the basic battle mechanic. it will help him/her with math skills. Plus you can make funny sounds and just pretend your PokieManz are battling.
|

This is about how my son plays. We don't even have full decks -- he has about 40 cards. And the grownups he plays with just gamely go along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.