Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased a few of the DVG counter trays from a retailer, and I'm not particularly impressed by them. I was wondering if maybe they sent me the correct parts.

As you can see from the photo, the lid does not cover the entire tray. It fits, but it does not "seal" so there would be nothing to stop counters from falling out. You can see on the side of the tray an indentation which looks like where a lid would "snap" into place thereby holding it on. However, the lid has no such "nubs" so it won't "lock" in. I'm wondering if perhaps they sent me the wrong tops of the trays.

Does anybody have these and can confirm this looks correct or perhaps show me a photo of what it's supposed to look like? I've tried to check photos online but have not found a photo anywhere that shows me a good view of the lid to confirm I have the correct thing.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

It's hard to tell from your image if you have the DVG lid or not. The DVG lid does have a very slight "ridge" that does match up with that notch you mentioned on the ends of the tray. It isn't much, but you can run you finger from the corner and feel it. While it doesn't snap into place, it does help secure the lid to the tray. I can hold the empty tray upside down and the lid won't fall off even with shaking. I'm not sure it's enough of a seal to prevent the tray with counters from opening if the game was stored standing up, but I typically store mine flat - at least the ones with counter trays. I tried to take a picture of the lid to show you that slight ridge, but as I mentioned it is only very slight so hard to see in the photo. Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

If the lid fits too tightly it keeps the pieces in the right place until the moment you try to open it. Then they're on the floor.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:

If the lid fits too tightly it keeps the pieces in the right place until the moment you try to open it. Then they're on the floor.

S.

Heh. I've got a couple hinged trays (Chessex maybe?) that are like that. Pretty much useless because no matter what's in there, everything falls out from the POP that happens when you finally manage to pry the top off.

Too loose, OTOH, is its own problem. Maybe "shim" the sides with a little bit of scotch tape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

I cut the lids off of Chessex trays. Otherwise they aren't trays, they're launch facilities.

I wouldn't rule out that tray and lid being the matched set. Do they fit in a standard DVG box, say Field Commander Alexander or the like? That big separation in size makes the easier to open, which is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I cut the lids off of Chessex trays. Otherwise they aren't trays, they're launch facilities.

That was the older tray design with the flip back lids, the updated design does no do that. I have them in stock and so far no complaints.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I definitely didn't notice a ridge on the tops of my trays, but I will check closer first chance I get. It definitely would not hold if I turned it upside down let alone shook it.

I appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I definitely didn't notice a ridge on the tops of my trays, but I will check closer first chance I get. It definitely would not hold if I turned it upside down let alone shook it.

I appreciate the help.

Yes, there should be a slight grove around the edges so the lid snaps down a bit.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT counter trays FTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.