$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.13

7,666 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Component question and a dice gripe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I just received a copy of Runebound (3rd Ed) today. As usual, the components (i.e. mapboard, cards) from FFG are great. But ...

1) The cards - in my cards supplied with the game, I notice that several of them are identical (in pairs and threes). (This is particularly the case in the four expansions that I purchased alongside the base game). Is that as it should be?

2) The dice - man is it a bind to have to peel off the stickers and get them into a good position on the blank dice. Not a task for old eyes and fingers. Is it just economics that prompted this approach from FFG?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:


1) The cards - in my cards supplied with the game, I notice that several of them are identical (in pairs and threes). (This is particularly the case in the four expansions that I purchased alongside the base game). Is that as it should be?


Some of the items are duplicated, but that should be all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just received a copy of Runebound (3rd Ed) today. As usual, the components (i.e. mapboard, cards) from FFG are great. But ...

1) The cards - in my cards supplied with the game, I notice that several of them are identical (in pairs and threes). (This is particularly the case in the four expansions that I purchased alongside the base game). Is that as it should be?


Can you say which cards?

Some enemies are repeated, possibly including those on some of the scenario cards (e.g. I think there are multiple Orc Brigands and some of the Dragon enemies from Margath's scenario cards). But all the story cards, skills and assets should be unique.

Quote:
2) The dice - man is it a bind to have to peel off the stickers and get them into a good position on the blank dice. Not a task for old eyes and fingers. Is it just economics that prompted this approach from FFG?


Possibly, though I can't really see etching them like the 2e dice would cost more than a few pence more.

Personally, I think they decided they wanted the terrain to exactly match the terrain on the board, rather than having symbols like the old edition did. Whether this is a good enough reason or not is highly subjective; some people prefer them as they are others do not (especially since they now required stickers).

Given that was what they wanted to do, I imagine stickers were the most cost effective way - possibly the only way at the time. They can now print imagery onto the dice as demonstrated by the SW: Destiny dice. So, I wonder if a new printing might do this?

Anyway, I'm afraid you're stuck with them. It's worth doing carefully and taking your time, and also running something hard and non-scratching along the edges to fix them properly into place. If your sight isn't up to it maybe ask someone else to do it?

Ours show not the slightest chance of coming off and seem absolutely stuck fast, but a small number of players have reported problems with the stickers coming off. Whether that is down to how precisely they were assembled or environmental factors like humidity, we aren't sure. Most likely a mixture of both and different in each case.

Some people have also sprayed a sealant or varnish type stuff on to protect them. I haven't, and I'm not even sure the right stuff to use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eddy
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, some cards (including a couple enemies) are duplicates. This is intentional. My wife and I each have a set of etched dice that we use with our copy of the game. You can purchase them from a BGG user called Orph. I refer you to this post to find links:

POST LINK

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just received a copy of Runebound (3rd Ed) today. As usual, the components (i.e. mapboard, cards) from FFG are great. But ...

1) The cards - in my cards supplied with the game, I notice that several of them are identical (in pairs and threes). (This is particularly the case in the four expansions that I purchased alongside the base game). Is that as it should be?


Can you say which cards?


Identical copies are:

Base Game (3rd Ed)

2 of Fly-By (combat, exploration)
2 of Rivals (social)
2 of Dead Prophet (social)
2 of Fey Sorceress (exploration)
4 of Reanimates (2 x combat, 2 x exploration)
3 of Undead Horde (2 x combat, social)
2 of Deep Elf (combat)
2 of Necromancer (exploration, combat)
2 of Death Knight (combat)
2 of Dragon Hybrid (combat)
2 of Beastman (combat)
2 of Moonbeam Cat (combat)
2 of Razorwing (combat)
2 of Ettin (combat)
2 of Orc Brigand (combat)
2 of Ogre (combat)
2 of Sorceror (combat)
3 of Deadbringer (2 x combat, exploration)
2 of Great Dragon (combat)

Fall of the Dark Star Scenario Pack

5 of Starborn Specter (3 x combat, 1 x exploration, 1 x social)
2 of Dark Priest (combat)
2 of Bandit (combat)

Caught in a Web Scenario Pack

4 of Arachyura (3 x combat, 1 x exploration)
4 of Cave Spider (3 x combat, 1 x exploration)
2 of Bane Spider (combat)
3 of Pestilence Swarm (combat, 2 x social)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.