3 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report: Mission 2: Attempt:1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is a second session report featuring mission 2 of MvM. Tutorial and mission 1 are available in a different thread.

As prev. reported; SPOILER ALERT: The following contains info about the story around mission 2 of the campaign and strategies that we used! However as the name of the thread implies: we didn’t win this one: So perhaps the only strategy you can discover from this is what not to do!!!

Date: 19/10/16
Venue: kitchen table, my house, Devon, England, UK
Players: Me: Heimerdinger, Wife: Tristana

Mission 2: Atemp: 1

Cocky is how I would describe ourselves as we set out on mission 2. Having breezed the tutorial in about 3 rounds and walked (literally) the first mission our confidence was high.

It turns out that the explosion in the lab which started this whole minion mess has started a fire in the school. On top of that it has blown the bits of the crystal - required to keep the shields up around the school - all over the place. As the shields are down, minions are spawning left right and centre. Our task is to stop these spawning minions from entering the school and pick up the 3 shards of crystal, returning them to the school so rumble can put the shields back up… easy!

Unfortunately for us the ease with which we completed the first mission actually counted against us: we still did not have a complete grasp of what all the command cards did or how they interacted. As a result I veered off to the right of the school taking out a couple of minions while my wife went to the left. However we had both not quite thought enough about how we were going to get back. As a result My wife, in an effort to stop her mech running miles away from the school, was using the bottom edge of the map to limit her movement… however this just resulted in about 3 rounds of her spinning around on the spot firing ripsaws into the bottom of the board… killing none while the minions calmly walked past her towards the school. This whole event was very comical and had us laughing quite a lot.

I on the other hand had decided to head for the nearest crystal, and while I had managed to get it… had proceeded to cont. in the wrong direction getting further away from the school. All the while we didn’t roll a single red and instead rolled a lot of (I think yellow?) which had a heavy column of unopposed minions marching down from the top of the board. I finally managed to turn around and attempted to speed back to save the school. I arrived in the nick of time and ploughed through the first wave of minions in a blaze of fire and lightening smashing the front of the column, before realising I’d been a bit overzealous on the speed and continued past the school away from the danger zone leaving the school once again undefended, (however I did manage to drop of the crystal on the way past.) At this point my wife had regained some semblance of control over her mech and managed to pick up where I left off… the minions were held for another couple of turns, however the fact that we never rolled a single red, combined with the early escalation from the premature crystal collection eventually led to our demise, as a cheeky minion snuck in the right side, back door with an unpredicted double movement (we were ignoring him thinking we had another turn to deal with him… forgetting the possibility he could move twice!!)
Inexperience, a poor early decision and some bad rolling cost us our first game! But we had had such a great time playing we didn’t mind! And immediately set-up for round 2!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! That sounds like a pretty familiar story for the first try at that mission. I love the way you describe the chaos of trying to wrestle the mechs to do what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished this one last night, but on EZ-mode after realizing we'd been making our lives harder by spawning minions on every flank each round instead of just the one that had the rune die rolled. Brilliantly tense all around. We used Corki and Ziggs. Corki drafted as many movement cards as possible to blaze south to the first crystal without a thought of how to get back. Turned out his Do A Barrel Roll schematic worked perfectly for arranging that. Ziggs was able to make use of a few strategically placed damage cards to maneuver to the final crystal and Omnistomp back after Corki simultaneously recovered the second. One pesky minion did make it through, but we decided to adjust it to EZ-mode after we realized we were spawning way too many minions anyway. A victory, but not without an *.

We will probably replay it on 'normal' and look forward to it. The tension buildup is great. Glad you had fun with it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.