49.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for feedback/opinions on the art and graphic design of the card game I'm making. It's sort of a tableau building game with around 50 different cards. Right now I'm mostly looking for general feedback. More on specific rules and functions will come later.

Does this style appeal to you?

EDIT: added 2 more pictures of more cards.

EDIT: I'm considering adding a slight darkening of the background, you can see a test with it on the card to the right.
Not sure what I like best yet.

EDIT: Quoting my post about my first test print here:
Haakon Gaarder wrote:
I just recieved a test print of the game from ivory game maker. Very pleased with the results! I wrote a bit about the experience here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677607/my-experience-ivory...

The cards are tarot sized, so that's quite a bit larger than regular poker size.

Here you can see the size compared to a regular poker sized card from Paperback and a bridge sized card from Blue Moon Legends.

I've gone for this size because it makes the text easier to read and makes the art look better. From my solo testing I find it very comfortable not having to lean forward to read stuff or see what my "opponents" are doing on the other side of the table.

Here is what the game looks like at the beginning of round 1. As you can see many of the cards don't have any artwork yet.

The downside of the larger card is that you have to learn to shuffle bigger cards(just getting the hang of it), though you only have to shuffle at the very beginning of the game. Also it takes up more table space. I might end up with smaller cards in the end, but right now I'm leaning towards the big cards.

The testprinting has revealed that I should probably go for a regular instead of bold font for the smaller text. In real life the bold text is too thick.

I did a test packing the game into the box for the Horned Rat expansion for CITOW, fits perfectly. Will need to get a box that size.

Here is what the game looked like at the end of the four player solo playtest:

Time for more playtesting(Wish I ordered some blank cards as well)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Weber
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its clean, bright and colorful, I like it. the information is easy to read and well done.

the only thing that's odd is the "googly" (big) styled eyes on a few of the subjects.

Other than that, it looks GREAT.

Well Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This totally appeals to me -- I love it. Reminds me a bit of the legendary Glory to Rome black box edition by Heiko Gunther, in a totally good way. I agree the googly eyes are a bit odd though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The design is very good (clear, well-arranged). The images look as if they'd be fine for a light-medium euro. The only thing that's bothering me is that the shadows are inconsistent: Body shades and drop shades fall according to different light sources; also, the brewer lacks a drop shade altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kinglothar32 wrote:
its clean, bright and colorful, I like it. the information is easy to read and well done.

the only thing that's odd is the "googly" (big) styled eyes on a few of the subjects.

Other than that, it looks GREAT.

Well Done.

Thank you! I'm definitely going for readability here. I want everyone to easily read the cards on the other side of the table upside down. The cards will be tarot sized, for extra clarity

Regarding the googly eyes, I see your point. I will rework the eyes on the hunter. I suppose you also think the shipwright is too googly? A little more reluctant to change him, I like his face a lot the way it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
This totally appeals to me -- I love it. Reminds me a bit of the legendary Glory to Rome black box edition by Heiko Gunther, in a totally good way. I agree the googly eyes are a bit odd though.

Thanks! Heiko Gunther is a major inspiration for me when it comes to graphic design, he's one of the best One more reaction to googly eyes noted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
The design is very good (clear, well-arranged). The images look as if they'd be fine for a light-medium euro. The only thing that's bothering me is that the shadows are inconsistent: Body shades and drop shades fall according to different light sources; also, the brewer lacks a drop shade altogether.

LOL I thought no one would notice how I change the lighting from card to card for nicer shadows Also impressed with you seeing the lack of shadows on some of them. That is a mistake I intend to fix. Note to self: never underestimate peoples attention to details
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OK Ediciones: Juegos de autor en Argentina - facebook.com/okediciones
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks really awesome, i would totally buy it!
And i'm a graphic designer so i'm a picky judge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second this, I would definitely purchase this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SebasKO wrote:
It looks really awesome, i would totally buy it!
And i'm a graphic designer so i'm a picky judge

Thank you! Good to hear a pro approve it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All these positive comments are very motivating for me, makes me want to work harder on finishing the game. If you're interested in the game, I've created a thread where I will post updates on the progress of the game:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658031/wip-villagers-produ...
Not much there yet, but there will be more soon.
Subscribe to it to follow the development of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposting my comment from the actual image:

I, for one, really like it!

The only comment that I would add is that I'm not sure about the stark white background. It definitely makes the cards clean and crisp, but at least on my screen, it also washes out any of the whites on your images, such as the shirt on the cobbler and the shipwright's beard. I wonder if you could achieve the same effect by using a light shade of grey, or a white that isn't quite so bright.

I'll have to watch out for this game, based on the one picture alone it seems really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:

Exactly my first thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The artwork looks great, nice colour palette.

The graphic design, in my opinion could use some work:

1. There are a lot of horizontal elements a the top of the cards. While they look clean when looking at the cards individually, they become messy and jumbled when the cards are stacked. At first glance it takes a few seconds for the eyes to focus and find information in a stack.

Something like the cards in Unfair allows the player to quickly spot the information they're looking for in a stack of cards.

2. I'm no expert in card sizes, but at first glance it appears they are longer than most cards, and so when your players are looking to sleeve them it will be challenging to find sleeves that fit.

3. With the card background being all white, it's difficult to tell where one card ends and one begins in a stack. A suggestion would be to colour block the entire top so that each card stands out in a stack. An example would be in Machi Koro.

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sleeves, they look like a standard domino size. Not sure if that's the case though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game depends on identifying the card types by the colors, check to make sure the cards are still distinguishable for people with varying different types of colorblindness. Using unique icons associated with the card type/color is one good way but be sure they are clear; such as the black icon on the red background is hard to see.

There are online colorblindness simulator to see that you can put images of your cards through to simulate what they look like for the different types of colorblindness. Another way is to try printing out your cards in b+w/greyscale and see how easily you'll still be able to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedshooter8 wrote:
The artwork looks great, nice colour palette.

The graphic design, in my opinion could use some work:

1. There are a lot of horizontal elements a the top of the cards. While they look clean when looking at the cards individually, they become messy and jumbled when the cards are stacked. At first glance it takes a few seconds for the eyes to focus and find information in a stack.

Something like the cards in Unfair allows the player to quickly spot the information they're looking for in a stack of cards.

2. I'm no expert in card sizes, but at first glance it appears they are longer than most cards, and so when your players are looking to sleeve them it will be challenging to find sleeves that fit.

3. With the card background being all white, it's difficult to tell where one card ends and one begins in a stack. A suggestion would be to colour block the entire top so that each card stands out in a stack. An example would be in Machi Koro.

Keep up the good work!

Hi, thanks for the detailed feedback and examples

1. I don't this will be a problem here, the players will not have to visually search through stacks like in the games you show, the stacked cards are sort of "out of the picture", but remain visible to show that the player has fulfilled his prerequesites and not cheated. Also the cards are quite large and the text much bigger than in most games. But I'll keep this issue in mind and ask people about it

2. The cards are created from the templates for tarot sized cards on thegamecrafter.com I believe these fit the tarot sized sleeves from Fantasy Flight.

3. That is a neat thing they did there with Machi Koro, great tip! Will think about it. Could be a solution if playtesters complain about difficulty separating cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
If the game depends on identifying the card types by the colors, check to make sure the cards are still distinguishable for people with varying different types of colorblindness. Using unique icons associated with the card type/color is one good way but be sure they are clear; such as the black icon on the red background is hard to see.

There are online colorblindness simulator to see that you can put images of your cards through to simulate what they look like for the different types of colorblindness. Another way is to try printing out your cards in b+w/greyscale and see how easily you'll still be able to play the game.

Color recognition is important in this game, as it helps players find the cards they need without reading all their names. The inclusion of resource symbols is mostly to help the color blind. Good tip about the color blindness simulators, will try them! Hmmm. Maybe the grapes on the grape symbol should be bright green instead, for a nice light/dark contrast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me like.

thumbsup for a clean, simple card design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the clean and crisp design!
And the 'googly eyes' are fine! Keep them!

As you state, rules are to come later, so i don't know if cards are to be held in hand at all, but if so, the usual idea of having some info in the corners might be an idea. Fanning cards in hand as these currently are will make it difficult to see quickly what cards you have.

Overall feel is great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear some support for the eyes It's part of the whole style Some are bigger and rounder than others though. I've thought about the fanning of the cards, seems fine when I play by myself. I think super good fanning is not as important here as it is in more classic style card games like Abluxxen(what's the english name of that again?). You're no plonking down lots of cards at the same time here. I'll post some examples of the mechanics soon, so that you people can make more informed comments on the graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just added two more pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it! Does every card show both its prerequisite (in the large colored bar) and the cards that come after it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Love it! Does every card show both its prerequisite (in the large colored bar) and the cards that come after it?

Thanks! I like to call the cards that go under for inputs, and those that go over for outputs. All cards show a preview of their inputs and outputs, except the bottom level cards, those have many different outputs, so it would take too much space on the cards. In addition to the inputs required there are also padlocks showing extra prerequisites, like the Spinner needs the Wheeler for example. The neat thing about the padlocks is that you can unlock them without owning them, by paying 1 gold to a player who has themThe longest production chains have 4 cards, and there will probably be 2 copies of all the cards in the game, except the base level cards, there will be even more of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
The traditional craftsman that built wooden wheels were called WHEELWRIGHTS not wheelers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.