Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble getting behind Redarg's effectiveness in combat...he just feels inferior to the other combatants.

I think the major reason why is his damage table when applied to his Kill Zone (KZ). All the fighters* seem to be balanced with respect to their damage table by having the same number of average wounds per die - 2 for their sweet spot and 1 for the rest of the KZ.

E.g. Heldrax in his dark blue hexes of his KZ has a hit on 3+ and deals 3 wounds per hit = 67% for ea die to hit = 3 wounds * 67% = 2 wounds per die avg (WPD).

This works out to 2 WPD for every fighter's sweet spot actually including Skarr, except Vexnar and Valkia. The core set fighters' light blue KZ hexes come out to 1 WPD. Vexnar has only dark blue and is at 1.7 WPD, so it seems to me that the fighters were balanced as far as this.

The issue I'm having is that Redarg's chance for each die to hit in his 1-hex sweet spot is the lowest at 50%, with nothing to offset it. In other words, he has to work harder to get to the same statistics of other fighters. I've whiffed so many times with him, which I am glad it increases Wrath, and when I do hit, it rarely feels like a good solid blow compared to the other damage that is being dealt.

Now, I know you should take into consideration his unique and combat abilities. I suppose he is intended to push someone around, gaining card advantage, which also helps him to get into position and unleash the biggest attack he can against someone you've theoretically stolen defense cards from...it's just really hard to pull this off consistently!

I'd like to know what i'm doing wrong! Well, WE are...5/5 people I've played with agree with the sentiment.

It may be easier to just increase his four Wound values by 1 each (to hit: 4+ / wounds: 5 for dark blue healthy, to hit: 5+ / wounds: 4 for healthy light blue, etc). And/or house rule anyone may discard a card to re-roll an attack die result (and same for defense dice rolled) - allowing dice to be re-rolled only once. This would help his card advantage aspect. But i'd like to hear other opinions to avoid this.

any thoughts?

(self reflection: after seeing the post with my Tannhauser Oni guy avatar next to it, I may be partial to muscular figures with horns! And since Redarg's model seems petite compared to the others, but has a huge axe, his underperformance is psychological haha)

*of the 4 in the core set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never bothered to crunch any numbers for this game, but I am getting close to losing count of the number of times I have one-shotted an enemy into a pit with Redarg (including opponents with full health bars), or sapped all their cards in a single attack so they just had to stand there while I punched them around a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen him as weak by any means. Base 4 dmg in his KZ, just need to connect with two dice -> Critical Injury on a fully healthy opponent. Using a four dice Attack, math says that's what you should get. Wild Swing ain't too bad either, allowing him to reroll failed rolls since he really should be attacking with people in his dark blue KZ.

Generally, not sure I've been using his Bull Charge all that much either. IMO, you should be using it only via Unique Action portion of an Action card (so ending back with the number of cards you started with), but even then, I'm much more partial to just plain old going for the kill in the "proper" way, hacking and slashing. If they end up next to a pit, sure, Bull Charge, but opponents seem to be smart enough to avoid it. Doing something like double Bull Charge in a turn, unless you get them into the pit, you're probably eating a buttload of damage in return.

Not cruching numbers too much, his numbers seem to be on par with the system, 2+ for 2 wounds, 3+ for 3 wounds, 4+ for 4 wounds (dark blue KZ). 4+ for 2 wounds, 5+ for 3 wounds (light blue KZ). Redarg seems to come off better looking at his Wounded to hits, Kore for example goes to fricking 6+ for 2 wounds in his light blue, Redarg gets 5+ for 2 wounds. Skullgouger should be chipping in damage here and there.

Personally, having just gotten my hands on Tark and Fexgor (got Hagreth yesterday, waiting on Atork), I'm much more curious about Fexgor's feasibility in combat, given his really odd KZs, light blue covering his front arc, then triple dark blue arc three spaces away, nothing hitting two spaces away (plus his special ability Prayers of Wrath seems by far the weakest out of all eight). Fexgor against Kore or another fighter that can hit two away could be tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.