Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really thinking about grabbing this game. But, my understanding is that each game can take anywhere from 90-120 mins if not longer.

My questions are as follows.

Is it possible to play this game with 2 ?

Does the amount of players affect game time drastically?

Can players jump in and out between sessions?
(I'd like to think that I would have the same group for each game much like Pandemic Legacy. But, with this game I have a feeling it'll be play when we can, so I might lose someone from time to time.)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game was playtested and is intended for 3-5. That said, the designer commented that there is no reason you couldnt play it with two but because resources will be abundant, there will be little need for interaction/conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wolf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been playing with 4, but it sounds like stepping up to 5 has been increasing play time a lot.

They have rules in place for if players miss a game. Personally I'd try to limit that if possible, but sometimes it can't be helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
The game was playtested and is intended for 3-5. That said, the designer commented that there is no reason you couldnt play it with two but because resources will be abundant, there will be little need for interaction/conflict.

People always say this and I always think they are wrong. There would be much more room for conflict in a 2 player game than a 3 player game as every attack will affect all opponents negatively instead of only half of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely avoid at 2. I haven't heard of anyone saying that 2p works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Webbe wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

People always say this and I always think they are wrong. There would be much more room for conflict in a 2 player game than a 3 player game as every attack will affect all opponents negatively instead of only half of them.

And give everone a bonus to retaliate. But if you need iron and there are 7 on the islands, some of which have been there since before winter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Webbe wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

That's absolutely true, but a lot of conflict in games is semi-forced by virtue of scarcity.

When there's less scarcity, the conflict is only going to arise if players opt for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The enmity rules make it hard to rely on heavy raiding in a multiplayer game, and could make it even worse in a two player game. Keep in mind that in a two player game, there is no other player to cover up your enmity stickers. So once you get to six enmity stickers, that's -6 raid dice for the rest of the campaign, and -1 glory for each additional sticker you can't place. Is stealing your opponent's treasure worth -5 glory to you? (If it's a 2-glory treasure, that's -2 for them, +2 for you, +1 for you for the endeavor, and -5 for you for the 5 enmity that can't become stickers, for a net change of 0 glory.)

That having been said, if you keep yourself to more occasional tactically important raids, you should be able to raid at just the right time and still "soak" most of your enmity during the end-game procedure. And that's true regardless of player count.

My advice: try very hard to get at least 3 "reliable" players (ie, players who can be counted on to make it to MOST of the games). If you have other players that want to rotate in and out with the remaining factions, that's doable (though they will miss out on a lot of the experience). There are rules at the end of the rulebook for accommodating new or leaving players -- but I'd say it's best to avoid relying on them too heavily, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

This sounds like just about what I expected. I think I'll be waiting until I can secure a steady group of 3-4 to play this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I would definitely avoid at 2. I haven't heard of anyone saying that 2p works.

2 player works (at least through 6 games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.