Subject: A few (probably dumb) questions from a new board gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
I always wanted to play D&D growing up but didn't have the right crowd of friends for it. Now at 34 I somehow found myself buying the Pathfinder card game for solo play and loved it. Then after too many beers last night I saw Kingdom Death Monster and the more I watched of it, the more I loved the idea.

Quick questions:
-How long can I expect from a playthrough in Kingdom Death Monster once I know what I'm doing? I want a game that's a real time sink and I can keep progressing my character(s) instead of just starting a new game all the time.

-What other games can I get into that offer long, expansive playthroughs like I mentioned? I saw Mage Knight and I think I'll get into that, anything else you guys recommend?

As I said, new to the whole board gaming scene so I hope I'm not coming off as annoying. I'm finding it extremely odd that a lifelong video game player is now spending his days obsessing over when my Pathfinder expansions are going to come in the mail, and now fretting about how much money Kingdom Death Monster is going to run me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Welcome to BGG meeple
For your first question, you'd probably get the best answers in the Kingdom Death forums: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55690/kingdom-death-mons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Figured I was probably posting this in the wrong place. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
I always wanted to play D&D growing up but didn't have the right crowd of friends for it. Now at 34 I somehow found myself buying the Pathfinder card game for solo play and loved it. Then after too many beers last night I saw Kingdom Death Monster and the more I watched of it, the more I loved the idea.

Welcome! Add a decade to he age, and change the game to Arkham Horror & you're describing me

Drunk_Gamer wrote:

-How long can I expect from a playthrough in Kingdom Death Monster once I know what I'm doing? I want a game that's a real time sink and I can keep progressing my character(s) instead of just starting a new game all the time.

Obviously that's going to depend on the game, but KDM specifically is a loooong game. We're talking months. And you'll die a lot. Its going to be difficult and expensive to get, but rumor is there's a reprint kickstarter maybe coming soon. You should check out the specific game forum here.

Drunk_Gamer wrote:

-What other games can I get into that offer long, expansive playthroughs like I mentioned? I saw Mage Knight and I think I'll get into that, anything else you guys recommend?

Long as in a single game that could last weeks? There's not that many although the new trend in Legacy games is producing a few. (Pandemic Legacy, Seafall, Gloomhaven) and other games with a Campaign system (Arkham Horror LCG, Shadows of Brimstone). But if you mean long (4+ hours) and also very repayable, you have quite a few more choices (of which Mage Knight is a good one.)

Since you're not averse to solo gaming, come say hi in the 1 player guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks for the warm welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just wanted to mention, in case you didn't know, that there is a Kingdom Death Monster kickstarter coming this november. In regards to Mage Knight, there is a recent star trek reskin of the game with streamlined rules called Star Trek Frontiers.
The newly released Mansion of Madness 2'end edition is pretty fun solo and has an app that take care of most the book-keeping. Its not campaign based, but the scenarios are pretty long and contains both combat and puzzle-solving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
I saw about the November reprint when searching around last night. What can I expect to pay based off the first game? $400 American?

Also, switching my usual fantasy RPG/board game up with some Star Trek sounds like it would be a nice change of pace. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'm quite nervous about the cost myself

I discovered mordern boardgaming about 2 years ago and never looked back, it quickly surpassed video gaming for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

Quick questions:
SNIP

Mage Knight is a solid, puzzle type game. It has a HUGE learning curve, but seems pretty simple once you start to get it, but "getting it" can be a challenge. For me, the biggest drawback is the length of time the game takes. It's a long setup time and a long tear down time, and then playing the game between. I'm not sure about character progression w/ it though. My understanding is that it's more of a one-off game that you play and then finish the story, but it's newer to me. I haven't been able to play it since the game convention because I don't have the table space in my homecry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hmmmm... I may save it for later. Right now I really like the idea of more of a persistent playthrough. With work and two kids some days I have hours to put in, and others I'll be lucky to have half an hour. Something I can set up and pick away at over days/weeks/months is perfect for what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby and BGG !

To sum your criteria up: you are looking for a game that is enjoyable solo and offers the feeling of progression, preferably over various games ?

You already mentioned Mage Knight Board Game, which can be a great solo game and the feeling of progression and getting more powerful is really enjoyable here. Be warned though that this is a heavy game, so if you are new to the hobby, maybe watch some videos before and download the rulebooks (yes, plural) before buying. Also note that the different scenarios are not connected with each other, so you will have a fresh reset every time you bring the game to the table.

Another option can be Arkham Horror: The Card Game, which will be released soon. Based on your decisions in the game, the story will take different paths and your characters (= your card decks) will change over the course of the campaign, meaning that you will add/exchange cards by spending experience points and sometimes also gain new cards based on your decisions in the story and the scenarios' outcomes.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) can now be played as a cooperative game with the companion app, which takes care of the monsters. Your characters level up, gain equipment and new skills during the campaign.

If you like dice-heavy Ameritrash, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients could also be interesting to you. After each mission, you take your character(s) to town to spend their money, they level up and see your characters grow (and die) over time and various missions. The game is quite messy in terms of game design in my opinion, but many players like it. Warning: miniatures need to be assembled.

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
Welcome to the hobby and BGG !

To sum your criteria up: you are looking for a game that is enjoyable solo and offers the feeling of progression, preferably over various games ?

You already mentioned Mage Knight Board Game, which can be a great solo game and the feeling of progression and getting more powerful is really enjoyable here. Be warned though that this is a heavy game, so if you are new to the hobby, maybe watch some videos before and download the rulebooks (yes, plural) before buying. Also note that the different scenarios are not connected with each other, so you will have a fresh reset every time you bring the game to the table.

Another option can be Arkham Horror: The Card Game, which will be released soon. Based on your decisions in the game, the story will take different paths and your characters (= your card decks) will change over the course of the campaign, meaning that you will add/exchange cards by spending experience points and sometimes also gain new cards based on your decisions in the story and the scenarios' outcomes.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) can now be played as a cooperative game with the companion app, which takes care of the monsters. Your characters level up, gain equipment and new skills during the campaign.

If you like dice-heavy Ameritrash, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients could also be interesting to you. After each mission, you take your character(s) to town to spend their money, they level up and see your characters grow (and die) over time and various missions. The game is quite messy in terms of game design in my opinion, but many players like it.

Good luck and have fun !

Yep, that's my criteria. At the moment anyways. I've got two weeks and only 1 game played so far under my belt.

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw Arkham Horror on a lot of top solo game lists on youtube so it sounds like it's right up my alley. I have watched a bit of lets play for Mage Knight, so I think I could get into it after stumbling through a few playthroughs and learning the ropes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Arkham Horror is from 2005, Arkham Horror: The Card Game will be released soon.

Arkham Horror can work as a solo game, since it's a cooperative game, but it has no progression over various games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
Note that Arkham Horror is from 2005, Arkham Horror: The Card Game will be released soon.

Arkham Horror can work as a solo game, since it's a cooperative game, but it has no progression over various games.

I assumed so but that's good to hear. The card game aspect is a big plus for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Welcome to BGG :meeple:
For your first question, you'd probably get the best answers in the Kingdom Death forums: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55690/kingdom-death-mons...

Know also that a polite click on the Red X at the top of the thread can be used to alert a BGG Admin to move the thread. Select "Wrong Forum". I have just done this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Welcome to BGG meeple

Know also that a polite click on the Red X at the top of the thread can be used to alert a BGG Admin to move the thread. Select "Wrong Forum". I have just done this.

Thanks for the info. Been a few years since I frequented any forums so I'm a little rusty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
TVis wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Welcome to BGG meeple

Thanks for the info. Been a few years since I frequented any forums so I'm a little rusty.

Riley "Rusty" Russell it is then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

Oh ... and clicking the Green Thumb below an invdvidual message ia a way to show appreciation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

Quick questions:

As I said, new to the whole board gaming scene so I hope I'm not coming off as annoying. I'm finding it extremely odd that a lifelong video game player is now spending his days obsessing over when my Pathfinder expansions are going to come in the mail, and now fretting about how much money Kingdom Death Monster is going to run me.

A "play through" of KDM will take approximately 40 hours of gameplay. Maybe more, maybe less. I've had it for a year and am yet to beat it. I have all 13 expansions as well. It is a literal super time sink, and you'll spend more than 40 hours assembling all the minis if you get the expansions (I can do commission to assemble/paint if you're interested!). The KS comes out in November on Black Friday. I'm $1300 in with the expansions, probably $1600 in with all the customization stuff I've done/painting/etc. You will have to assemble minis. As far as the price the game is absolutely worth $400 -IF- you are willing to put the time in with the minis. They are world-class hands down the best minis you'll ever see. Without the minis it's probably a solid "$200" game, but the minis are not cheap and are a significant part of the $400 price tag.

Mage Knight is (IMO) the best board game ever made. Get it. There is no campaign, but the game is epic, and if you can leave it "set-up" you can easily spread it into 3 sessions. I do all the time.

Check out Gloomhaven, which is coming out soon (November hopefully). I think that is exactly what you're looking for.

There's very few games that are as epic as MK and KDM. Some might recommend War of the Ring, but it's not solo. Some might recommend Robinson Crusoe, which I think is bad. Arkham Horror LCG might be a good fit, but those games are super fiddly IMO. Shadows of Brimstone I have set-up on the table and will play today for the first time.

Also I want to point out that KDM is just as heavy, if not heavier, than Mage Knight, gameplay wise. There's a literal shit-ton to keep track of.

I'm nearly strictly a solo gamer. If you have any questions about KDM/MK please ask. Also check out https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Houle
Canada
flag msg tools
You might want to consider the upcoming Gloomhaven, depends on what part of DnD you want to focus on...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven

and John beats me to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
You guys are right, Gloomhaven looks like something I'd be interested in. Pretty sure I'll look it up.

My plan right now is to finish off the two Pathfinder base units I have and then move on to something else while I wait for KDM. I'd move on from Pathfinder now, but with what I'm seeing I'd probably never go back to it as there are better games out there, so I may as well power through it now before moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
You guys are right, Gloomhaven looks like something I'd be interested in. Pretty sure I'll look it up.

My plan right now is to finish off the two Pathfinder base units I have and then move on to something else while I wait for KDM. I'd move on from Pathfinder now, but with what I'm seeing I'd probably never go back to it as there are better games out there, so I may as well power through it now before moving on.

Don't skip past the KDM kickstarter on Black Friday. You'll kick yourself hard when it goes OOP again and you can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Not sure if it's sad or not, but I've already set about 3 different timers to pop up a few days before to make sure I don't miss out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
Not sure if it's sad or not, but I've already set about 3 different timers to pop up a few days before to make sure I don't miss out.

Haha. Not sad at all. I still kick myself because KDM was $275 last Black Friday and I passed and ended up paying $375 for a used copy a month later. Then it went OOP so I got sorta lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.