Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I'm doing a bit of research and wanted to ask what everyone's favourite card art style, and their favourite card art.

From looking around my favourite style is what Mtg uses, but I can't pick a favourite.

So what are yours? Realistic, Anime, cell shaded, etc..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
This may not be the type of answer you are looking for but I love the way Fleet cards are made. The art is fitting for the game and its theme while the card layout is easy to read. On top of that the card can be utilized in three different ways using both the front and the back of the card. Just such a good use of a cards dynamics all around I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
it's always nice to have something pretty to look at when playing. As long as the artwork is good quality and consistent then I am happy. really so long as the art style matches the theme, the style can be anything. Like I love the highly detailed artwork in Star Realms, But I like the cutesy inconographic/cartoony style of Sushi Go. But they wouldn't work if the styles were switched around.

What I will say is my least favourite style. When you get artwork in a game that looks like clip art, I am likely to not buy that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars: Master Set

I find it delightful that the art is impressionist enough to make out every brush stroke of the artist. Feels so much more personal and hand crafted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highest quality: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Most charming: Sushi Go!

I feel like the Magic art style has been on a steady decline over the years. In the early games they had cards with some soul to them, like Goblin Snowman. This year one of my friends gave my girlfriend a set of duel decks from the latest set (the generic branch Cthulhu one). The art was all muddy and the creatures looked like tattered dish towels with random pointy bits sticking out of the holes.

Now get off my lawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any styles that would put you off purchasing a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Are there any styles that would put you off purchasing a game?

The early Ascension sets, and for some inexplicable reason, the style in Nightfall. Both examples where the art style was the main reason I didn't purchase them.

More frequently than that though is when all of the cards are dominated by a particular color (whether that's determined by the card layout, or just the art itself). If I don't like the color, I'll pass on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.