Subject: A few KDM questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Posted this in the wrong forum so I'll just copy and paste what I wrote...

I always wanted to play D&D growing up but didn't have the right crowd of friends for it. Now at 34 I somehow found myself buying the Pathfinder card game for solo play and loved it. Then after too many beers last night I saw Kingdom Death Monster and the more I watched of it, the more I loved the idea.

Quick question:
-How long can I expect from a solo playthrough in Kingdom Death Monster once I know what I'm doing? I want a game that's a real time sink and I can keep progressing my character(s) instead of just starting a new game all the time.

As I said, new to the whole board gaming scene so I hope I'm not coming off as annoying. I'm finding it extremely odd that a lifelong video game player is now spending his days obsessing over when my Pathfinder expansions are going to come in the mail, and now fretting about how much money Kingdom Death Monster is going to run me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

I always wanted to play D&D growing up but didn't have the right crowd of friends for it. Now at 34 I somehow found myself buying the Pathfinder card game for solo play and loved it. Then after too many beers last night I saw Kingdom Death Monster and the more I watched of it, the more I loved the idea.

Quick question:
-How long can I expect from a solo playthrough in Kingdom Death Monster once I know what I'm doing? I want a game that's a real time sink and I can keep progressing my character(s) instead of just starting a new game all the time.

As I said, new to the whole board gaming scene so I hope I'm not coming off as annoying. I'm finding it extremely odd that a lifelong video game player is now spending his days obsessing over when my Pathfinder expansions are going to come in the mail, and now fretting about how much money Kingdom Death Monster is going to run me.

I only play KDM solo and it's fantastic. A typical lantern year solo takes me between 2-3 hours and a typical campaign is 25 years. Do the math and the game is well worth the price if you have the time to play it. One thing to keep in mind about KDM though is that your characters will die A LOT. It's more about progressing your settlement than specific characters. That said, if luck is on your side, you can expect to build some wicked strong characters, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play is essentially like playing a single player video game, but on a board with no automation. You have to turn the gears yourself and keep track of all the factors, but you will get hundreds of hours of game play from this game if it appeals to you. Even more with expansions and replays since things go differently every time. One campaign you may find easy, but then the next was hard all because of how early things happened, like losing a survivor early or not pulling a particular innovation so you are forced to adapt and play differently each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
That's quite literally exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the help guys.

Guess I'll be counting down the days until the reprint kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
That's quite literally exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the help guys.

Guess I'll be counting down the days until the reprint kickstarter.

There are hundreds of hours of gameplay in just the core game. If you add all the expansions (of which there are many more planned), you could play KDM for a lifetime. You won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of info for you as a warm welcome to BGG!

The game is played over the course of a campaign. Each campaign is typically around ~25 Lantern Years, or play sessions. Each Lantern Year can take from 1-3 hours to complete. So you're looking at 50+ hours of gameplay just getting through a single campaign from start to finish.

That time however does not include the time you'll sink into assembling the gorgeous miniatures, so you can get even more time out of each session if you're always building new survivors.

Even just the core game campaign can play out very differently over different runs because of all the events and decisions you have to make regarding your settlement's growth. So playing through the campaign multiple times is always fun and guaranteed to be different (I currently have 3 campaigns running, and they're all going different directions).

THEN there are the expansions - there are various additional Monster quarries you can buy that give you new gear and story options. There are also new Nemesis monsters to challenge your Settlement. And two of the expansions, Sunstalker and Dragon King, offer entirely new campaigns to play through, completely changing the pace of the game and how your characters progress. There are also multiple variant campaigns in the core book and a variant campaign in the Flower Knight expansion.

At this time, the core game is entirely sold out, and a few of the expansions (Dragon King, etc) are too. However, on Black Friday this year, a Kickstarter campaign is going live to fund the reprint of the core game, possibly the out of print expansions, and possibly introduce some new content too. Plus the core game is getting some rules changes and what not after player feedback and more playtesting.

For the most part, Kingdom Death does not distribute to normal retailers - you'll want to check in with the official Kingdom Death website to see what's in stock as far as expansions (kingdomdeath.com). And your best bet to get a core game at a fair price is to wait for this year's Kickstarter campaign to go live and back it. I also highly encourage you to sign up for the official newsletter (which you can do through the site), as that's how Adam Poots (lord and master of Kingdom Death) sends out all his store updates and news about the game.

I resonate very strongly with you on the RPG thing - I was never interested in RPGs or having to have a DM to run a campaign, but Kingdom Death really feels like the game is running itself and you get to explore it without having to make someone the gamemaster.

And you're not being annoying at all! Asking questions like this is what BGG and the game forums are all about. It's a great community overall, and we try our best to be welcoming to new people. I remember when I first started posting, I was worried too, haha.

Welcome to BGG, and I hope you get to experience Kingdom Death soon!

P.S. I just gave you 30 GeekGold, which can be used to buy an avatar if you go to your profile page
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If what you like from an RPG is combat, progression, and gear, I can't recommend KD more highly.

If you're looking for character stuff, eh, your characters develop personalities insofar as they get problems and advantages and you have memorable fights with them, but it's pretty light.

I do think it's better as a 2-3 player game, though-- things go faster since you're more able to keep track of stuff, and there's of course the social element. 4+ and things get bogged down a little, still fun, but as with any group thing, the more there are and the more group decisions, down time, etc. you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the info, as well as the gold for an avatar. Seems like a real nice community of posters you guys have here.

A quick question on the expansions. If I play the core game, are there any expansion that I can continue playing my settlement on? Or would I be starting a new game when adding an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
Thanks for all the info, as well as the gold for an avatar. Seems like a real nice community of posters you guys have here.

A quick question on the expansions. If I play the core game, are there any expansion that I can continue playing my settlement on? Or would I be starting a new game when adding an expansion?

There is an expansion coming out next called the Lantern Festival that will extend your campaign to 40 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
If what you like from an RPG is combat, progression, and gear, I can't recommend KD more highly.

If you're looking for character stuff, eh, your characters develop personalities insofar as they get problems and advantages and you have memorable fights with them, but it's pretty light.

I do think it's better as a 2-3 player game, though-- things go faster since you're more able to keep track of stuff, and there's of course the social element. 4+ and things get bogged down a little, still fun, but as with any group thing, the more there are and the more group decisions, down time, etc. you have.

Combat, progression and gear are huge bonuses for me. When I saw that you can craft as well in this game I knew it was a must buy for me.

As far as the additional players, I moved to a village of 800, so to my knowledge there isn't a real big community (if any) for this type of hobby. I'm trying to con my wife into playing, but up to this point she's having none of it.

And to be honest, so far I've found solo play to be quite relaxing. I even find setting up the games to be fairly cathartic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

All the expansions have rules that allow you to either add them to your existing campaign, or where to add them in when starting a new campaign. There's tons of flexibility for when to add things in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Elyklord wrote:
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

All the expansions have rules that allow you to either add them to your existing campaign, or where to add them in when starting a new campaign. There's tons of flexibility for when to add things in.

Perfect. And I'm assuming I'm able to add multiple expansions at once? Or would that not work due to the differing rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
And to be honest, so far I've found solo play to be quite relaxing. I even find setting up the games to be fairly cathartic.

This is solo gaming for me also. A great way to unwind.

Welcome to BGG. And as for KD:M; this game may seem expensive, but by starting here, you will be saving yourself a lot of money in the long run I wager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

This is solo gaming for me also. A great way to unwind.

Welcome to BGG. And as for KD:M; this game may seem expensive, but by starting here, you will be saving yourself a lot of money in the long run I wager.

Same. I solo'd KDM last night after the kids were in bed. I totally last track of time. It's very relaxing for me. I don't want a social aspect to my gaming after working all day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
Perfect. And I'm assuming I'm able to add multiple expansions at once? Or would that not work due to the differing rules?

You can add whatever mix of expansions works for you. Generally people suggest not adding more than 2-3 at a time, simply because with so many monsters to hunt or encounter at that point, you can stretch the settlement a little thin within the confines of the 25 year campaign. But nothing stopping you from adding more!

There are also a couple, like the Gorm, that you can use in place of a core game monster (the White Lion in this case), so the main campaign stays the same but the monsters you're chasing after are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Russell
Canada
Clive
Alberta
flag msg tools
Elyklord wrote:
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

You can add whatever mix of expansions works for you. Generally people suggest not adding more than 2-3 at a time, simply because with so many monsters to hunt or encounter at that point, you can stretch the settlement a little thin within the confines of the 25 year campaign. But nothing stopping you from adding more!

There are also a couple, like the Gorm, that you can use in place of a core game monster (the White Lion in this case), so the main campaign stays the same but the monsters you're chasing after are different.

I'm starting to realize how long of a wait it is going to be until the next kickstarter......

Trust me to get interested in a game I can't even hope to play for at least a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: playing w/ spouse, mine isn't anywhere near the gamer I am, but she's been quite invested in the game, since the co-op aspect means that there's not the aspect of getting crushed by someone more passionate about the game than you.

Re: lantern festival, no one knows what it will be. It was planned to be an expansion to the timeline, but there's a big unknown element there, since it's been delayed by a serious overhaul, and we've already seen a number of expansions that act differently than originally intended (lonely tree was supposed to have phoenix/lion AI interactions; lion god was supposed to have white lion deck interactions; lion knight was supposed to have some sort of ally ability; spidicules was supposed to have some sort of invisibility mechanic; etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Panciera
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:
Elyklord wrote:
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

I'm starting to realize how long of a wait it is going to be until the next kickstarter......

Trust me to get interested in a game I can't even hope to play for at least a few months.

I managed to get a new copy a couple of weeks ago from someone on Bartertown at retai price. I was in the same boat as you; stumbled across the game while looking for new minis to paint and became obsessed with it. Took me about a week and good luck to sink like $600 on the game and some expansions. I haven't played it yet but I've started making a custom board and spent 20 hours painting the White Lion.

It's natural to become obsessed with something like this, I think, especially if you're into tabletop RPGs. It has atmosphere and mystery and is out right fascinating while it's still in the box. The lore is pretty bad ass too. The community here is probably the most friendly and dedicated on BGG which says a lot.

I scored my copy after looking for a few days but I was lucky. You'll likely get gouged on eBay and the geek prices aren't much better. I suggest Bartertown, which is predominantly miniatures for sale and trade, or keeping an eye on the Reddit KDTrade subreddit. Depending on how obsessed you are you will likely end up paying more than you would via the Kickstarter but you'll get it a lot faster. I suggest setting a price you're willing to pay above retail and sticking with that. You'll eventually find your quarry.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

I was pretty much in the same boat growing up. I managed to get a d & d game in here and there but nothing steady. You are going to freaking love this game.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Pousette
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, you will probably love this game if you don't mind putting together miniatures . I managed to get ahold of an unopened kickstarter box for $430 two weeks ago on a fb page (which is a bargain in my book). I am sure it will be cheaper to get it through the kickstarter though, but then I would have to wait for who knows how long before I could play it?!

I, like the OP, bought it mainly for solo gaming since I don't have too many friends who like boardgames unfortunately. But let me tell you...

I am so happy I bought this game now instead of waiting for the kickstarter. It was a joy putting together the 4 starting miniatures and the beginning monster (white lion). I am not a hobby gamer. I put together a couple of WW2 planes when I was a kid and enjoyed it, but I haven't put together anything since then (some 15-20 years ago). Sure it was a bit tricky sometimes but I found it very calming to slowly see the miniature take form.

But, It was even more entertaining playing the first showdown (which I managed to win *yay*) solo. I am not too fond of too much dice chugging but somehow I don't mind it in this game. I think it has something to do with the AI deck and positioning of characters on the board. There is a lot of strategy and tactics to the game that forms the experience and the dice fits into the theme, specifically it fits with the unforgiving world Poots have created: random chance is usually not on your side which makes everything even more sweet when you manage to overcome your obstacle!

I have also done the first settlement phase and it was a joy making important decisions for my people. I am already looking forward to my next gaming time with this masterpiece <3 it's time to hunt down a true lvl 1 lion.. (which probably will kick my butt)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, when it comes to progressing your character(s) - your characters are going to be dying on the regular. The game is mostly about advancing your settlement. Yes, your characters build up skills and experience and wear better gear and vomit out children and whatnot, but then you roll a 1 and suddenly your settlement's hero is missing a head. Typically, a head is fairly necessary in order to continue living, so you press some fresh body into his gore-soaked gear and send him out the following year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll be in for heartbreak if you get too attached to a specific character. If you're super lucky, the character could survive through half of your campaign and retire. if you're unlucky, a lion could rip your leg off and watch you bleed out on the spot.

Good news is that gear progression is tied to your settlement, not your character. When a character dies, you stand to lose experience/stat bonuses/weapon proficiency/fighting arts (but also impairments be they physical or mental) but their gear gets hauled back to the settlement to put on some noob next year.

This is one of those things that some players don't understand when they get into this game and get turned off when they cruise to the butcher and the butcher... well, butchers their 4 all-stars. If your eyes are open going in though, I think you'll enjoy this plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
fastlane wrote:
Just to be clear, when it comes to progressing your character(s) - your characters are going to be dying on the regular. The game is mostly about advancing your settlement. Yes, your characters build up skills and experience and wear better gear and vomit out children and whatnot, but then you roll a 1 and suddenly your settlement's hero is missing a head. Typically, a head is fairly necessary in order to continue living, so you press some fresh body into his gore-soaked gear and send him out the following year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you'll be in for heartbreak if you get too attached to a specific character. If you're super lucky, the character could survive through half of your campaign and retire. if you're unlucky, a lion could rip your leg off and watch you bleed out on the spot.

Good news is that gear progression is tied to your settlement, not your character. When a character dies, you stand to lose experience/stat bonuses/weapon proficiency/fighting arts (but also impairments be they physical or mental) but their gear gets hauled back to the settlement to put on some noob next year.

This is one of those things that some players don't understand when they get into this game and get turned off when they cruise to the butcher and the butcher... well, butchers their 4 all-stars. If your eyes are open going in though, I think you'll enjoy this plenty.

To add to this, aside from being selective as to when to send out your all-star team, you'll definitely not be stuck with a bunch of weak characters since your survivors die off before becoming strong.
Advancing your settlement allows your survivors to sire stronger children. The newborn survivors of a strong settlement could very well be born more powerful then a veteran you've had for many a Lantern year.
It's a page out of Darwins book, so don't worry about not being able to have strong survivors... Especially if you're playing the People of the Stars campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

Quick question:

A complete core game campaign lasts 25 lantern years, each of which will take an average time to complete of 1.5-3.5 hours. I would say that all in all (depending on how fast you like to play) you may spend a good 80+ hours to complete a playtrough.

But please beware of some important things you need to know in advance:

No matter how good you are, people die in KD:M. A lot. So (i) expect to restart the campaign if necessary (I knwo of a group that made it on their second run), and (ii) If you look for a RPGesquew hero-charactercentric game in which you develop powerful characters to run over the KD:M universe, maybe KDM is not for you. This game is meant to be hard and mean to the players. Survival is as hard as it gets, and individuals are not as important as the group as a whole (=if you get too attached to certain characters you will be frustrated many, many times).

Having said that, even though progressing through the campaign is great, the game has a ton of replayability, so every playthrough the elements of the story and gameplay situations may vary a lot (except for some core narrative ones, ofc) = you will have plenty of diferent situations, options and alternative strtategies to explore before feeling that the game becomes a bit repetitive on certain aspects.

Besides, you have a ton of expansion content to combine with the core game, so you can extend the gameplay time to many hundreds of hours easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

Quick question:

One thing more that I haven't seen mentioned: this game isn't entirely just about the game either. It's about the model making too. Because for every ten or so hours of gameplay you will be drawn back to the armor kits, not because you are forced to make these models (except for the monsters and starting survivors) but because you WANT to make these models.

I never built models as a kid, aside from making a USS Yorktown CV model when I was 8. So making the models for this game wasn't a huge priority for me. Now, though? I'm going to Kickstart the game to get secondary copies of all the hard assets that are showing some wear after a solid year of playing, and getting more copies of the armor kits to feed into my growing addiction for designing and building survivor models in unique positions.

Making the armored survivors in this game is quite a hobby in and of itself, one that can be even more cathartic than playing the game itself.

Which might be a way to hook your wife into playing the game, wink-wink. Have her help you build some of the monsters and survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk_Gamer wrote:

The rest of your questions were covered already, so I'll add just one thing: it is very unlikely, that you'll finish your campaign and beat the game on the first run (or even survive half of it) so you will start a new game quite a few times. But it doesn't hurt at all, this game has this learning curve and playing the same first four lantern years (game cycles) is never the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.