Subject: Band of Brothers System Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle Mann was kind enough to give me permission to post this review. It is presented here text only (without pictures). The full review in all its glory can be found here:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/band-of-brothers...

Band of Brothers System Review

It’s very difficult to get a squad-level wargame off the ground. If you’re trying to appeal to those already engrossed with the niche-within-a-niche genre, you’re going to be competing with systems that have hundreds or even thousands of scenarios covering every battle in the footnotes of whatever war the system is attempting to simulate. On the other hand, if you’re trying to wrangle in non-wargamers, you’ll need to design a system that’s at once accessible and plausibly accurate to the conflict.

Band of Brothers as a system has always been easy for non-wargamers to pick up, but its major shortfall was that it “only” offered a few dozen scenarios—not enough to pry committed grognards away from the likes of Advanced Squad Leader or Combat Commander.

Now, with the release of the deluxe editions of Screaming Eagles and Ghost Panzer, coupled with the introduction of the non-standalone Texas Arrows expansion, we’ve got ourselves an honest-to-goodness system. There are enough units and newly mounted hard game boards here to keep any wargamer busy indefinitely, and do-it-yourself squad and scenario building is a real possibility now. While previous editions of Band of Brothers games felt like a five-star game in a three-star package, the production value of the newly remastered sets now makes this stand head and shoulders next to the best systems out there.

If I do have any complaint here, it’s that setup and organization is going to take some know-how if you dive into the series with all three sets, and I’d almost recommend that potential converts dip their toes in the water with the revised edition of Screaming Eagles before jumping right into the deep end for this very reason.

The mechanisms are still top-notch, emphasizing realistic period tactics with the game’s innovative suppression system. If you attempt to take a position by either hiding in your foxholes and firing thousands of rounds of ammo or just brazenly rushing across an empty street or open field, you’re going to lose, and your men are probably going to die. But if you manage to identify your foe underneath their concealment, get their heads down with some covering fire, and carefully move into take their position, you’ll do much, much better.

The unifying theme of Band of Brothers is the uncertainty of its command and control systems. You may not know where exactly where your opponent is thanks to conceal and decoy counters. You won’t know whether or not your units will activate when called upon thanks to the unique suppression and morale activation mechanism. You won’t even know if your opponent can fire back as you rush his position. It feels right for stepping into the boots of a squad leader: radio out to the squads and pray that everything works out okay, but never count on anything being certain as soon as bullets start flying.

The scenarios are intense, with most of them going down to the last, tense few moves as you attempt to claim a hill or defend a town to the very last man. I can’t count the number of times I’ve played a Band of Brothers game and literally lost the scenario by just one or two hexes, falling just shy of my objective. Battles across claustrophobic town streets are gritty and blood-soaked, and massive waves of armor rumbling across forests are equally deadly and epic.

It’s all very natural, with the very best rules-to-realism ratio in all of wargaming, no exaggeration. We’re talking just six or seven pages of rules in order to get you going on the first few scenarios, and several more to take the training wheels off with further details like tanks and the big guns. But make no mistake: it’s still a very detailed system compared with introductory wargames like Memoir 44 or the rest of the Commands & Colors series, and with some of the rules introduced in Ghost Panzer and Texas Arrows, now has enough granularity and detail to please hardcore grognards and ASL buffs.

The new scenarios on offer in Texas Arrows are some of the best to grace the game system. The American unit’s “reluctance” stat may seem like a small thing, but it makes a huge difference in how much ground the Americans can cover while attempting to retake Italy. Since these units stop at the first sign of resistance and can’t move until the next turn, the US player has to be very careful to advance quickly enough to win a given scenario.

If nothing else, the remastered editions of the first two entries in the Band of Brothers system along with the new material in Texas Arrows have once and for all proven the system’s viability and adaptability. I’m convinced this system is one of the only squad systems to effectively communicate genuine World War II period tactics, without silly gamey tactics or hundreds of pages of rules. It’s a ballet of bullets, armor, blood, and sweat, whirling around until one side is left standing. It’s one of the best wargames available on the market today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Jim Krohn wrote:
It’s all very natural, with the very best rules-to-realism ratio in all of wargaming, no exaggeration.
"All of wargaming" is a stretch (and hyberbole to boot.)
But even if we confine ourselves to WW2 squad-level hex-and-counter wargaming there are certainly other contenders for this particular crown:

Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of Normandy
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1
Combat Commander: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review by Kyle.

I recieved my Kickstarter bundle earlier this week and have played a scenario from Screaming Eagles every night for the last 3 nights.
Really enjoying the game alot.

Jim Krohn wrote:

If you attempt to take a position by either hiding in your foxholes and firing thousands of rounds of ammo or just brazenly rushing across an empty street or open field, you’re going to lose, and your men are probably going to die.

Found this out with Scenario 16(To die on christmas) tonight, where some of my American troops tried potshots at Germans in stone buildings(not very effective ) and some tried rushing the same unit and suffered Suppresion and Reductions. Luckily one unit managed to continue on and Suppress the German unit in Assault fire. The following Rout phase was bloody but the Americans prevailed.

Great game, Jim, and still 50-ish scenarios to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Jim Krohn wrote:
It’s all very natural, with the very best rules-to-realism ratio in all of wargaming, no exaggeration.
But even if we confine ourselves to WW2 squad-level hex-and-counter wargaming there are certainly other contenders for this particular crown:

Having played all of those at one time or another, I think the statement absolutely stands. None of them match BoB's rules-to-realism achievement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Jim Krohn wrote:

Having played all of those at one time or another, I think the statement absolutely stands. None of them match BoB's rules-to-realism achievement.

Having played EVERY tactical system produced after 1972, I also think the statement stands. Rules to realism ratio is second-to-none in this system, and there isn't a gamey loophole to be found anywhere. Every other system has its positive points and models a few to several things well, absolutely, but for WW2 battlefield realities, this one makes you most properly use real-world tactics and thinking to succeed.

I agree "all of wargaming" is a stretch, though, considering Up Front is the best wargame ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Marco reviewing the latest CoH title talked about it being 'one of the most beloved wargame systems' which I thought was really overstating it. I don't see the level of fanaticism attached to that series that applies to ASL and now - it seems - to BoB.

If only someone would re-work those fuggin' graphics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
If only someone would re-work those fuggin' graphics...

You mean the BoB ones? I assume you're talking about the counters, where I've heard people complain about them for some reason. Personally, I like them.

The maps were re-done for the new editions that came out alongside Texas Arrows (and look awesome now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

The maps are definitely an improvement. Not keen on the counters and text, particularly the text. Not sure what it is about it but it sends me into a comic sans like rage. It's very visible on the maps too.

I did play around with 'Screaming Eagles' but the scenarios were a bit ho hum, so that combined with the graphics meant I ditched the game.

I keep seeing the positive posts about this system and think I should give it another try but it doesn't seem to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB's art seems fine to me, but man, that goofy typeface is such a turnoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I don't see the level of fanaticism attached to that series that applies to ASL and now - it seems - to BoB.

I'm not a fanatic of the BoB system (8 rating) when compared to my freak-out love for everything Combat Commander (10) and Up Front (11 rating ... I mean, what wargame has ever been better than Up Front?). I do enjoy playing though, to see the specific strengths of BoB in action.

I just point out the specific one or two things that each specific system (ASL on down) models that makes that system great to play. In BoB's case, it's low rules overhead vs. realism achieved, and a great morale/supression mechanic that makes you use proper WW2 tactics, that have been done better than other systems. That'd said, those other systems each have their own specific things they model that make them better than BoB, though I think we all agree that no tactical game is anywhere near realistic in any sense of the word.

BTW, when are you coming over to play CC, Jim? You have an open invitation to my house anytime!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

I don't see the level of fanaticism attached to that series that applies to ASL and now - it seems - to BoB.

I'm not a fanatic of the BoB system (8 rating) when compared to my freak-out love for everything Combat Commander (10) and Up Front (11 rating ... I mean, what wargame has ever been better than Up Front?). I do enjoy playing though, to see the specific strengths of BoB in action.

I just point out the specific one or two things that each specific system (ASL on down) models that makes that system great to play. In BoB's case, it's low rules overhead vs. realism achieved, and a great morale/supression mechanic that makes you use proper WW2 tactics, that have been done better than other systems. That'd said, those other systems each have their own specific things they model that make them better than BoB, though I think we all agree that no tactical game is anywhere near realistic in any sense of the word.

BTW, when are you coming over to play CC, Jim? You have an open invitation to my house anytime!

The invite is reciprocated if you come to the UK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not sure what it is about it but it sends me into a comic sans like rage.

You are not the first person to say that, but I honestly don't get it. The font is Komika Axis and I don't think they look anything alike. (IMHO)

The font was chosen because the look of the game was meant to have a period feel. If this game was designed during WW2, what font would they use? This one was chosen because it seemed like it would fit on a WW2 recruitment poster.

The box covers were chosen for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I did play around with 'Screaming Eagles' but the scenarios were a bit ho hum, so that combined with the graphics meant I ditched the game.

This is where I confess my faults. I feel like when designing the SE scenarios, I was a little too focused on telling the story of the 101st. I think there are some fantastic scenarios in the game, but there are others that I would agree are ho-hum. A game designer probably shouldn't admit that, but as you play the scenarios you will probably run across half of the 18 scenarios that you will only play once. The other half will be ones that you want to play again. Tastes vary, so I won't supply a list.

For Ghost Panzer, I feel like I learned my lesson and did a much better job. I think this opinion has been echoed by fans of the system.

As for Texas Arrows and all the bonus scenarios, I feel like they are just a cut above. Many were designed by Beresford and they are just full of interesting tactical situation. You'll love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:
Not sure what it is about it but it sends me into a comic sans like rage.

You are not the first person to say that, but I honestly don't get it. The font is Komika Axis and I don't think they look anything alike. (IMHO)

The font was chosen because the look of the game was meant to have a period feel. If this game was designed during WW2, what font would they use? This one was chosen because it seemed like it would fit on a WW2 recruitment poster.

I agree it does not really look technically similar to Comic Sans, but it evidently has a similar "feel" for some people.

It doesn't really look like most of the typefaces I associate with WW2 recruiting posters. E.g.:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=world+war+2+recruiting+posters&iax...

https://www.zazzle.co.uk/world+war+ii+recruiting+posters

http://www.rare-posters.com/ww2recruiting.html

They tend look "older" or more "vintage", while this Komika Axis is apparently from 2001 and indeed looks clearly more modern (to me). (While perhaps trying to look retro in some kind of superficially ironic/hip way...? At least that's the vibe I get from that typeface.)

In any case, it's a purely cosmetic issue that has nothing to do with the gameplay, and I know this horse has long since left the barn.

---

PS: The cover art (as opposed to typeface) looks more pleasingly authentically vintage to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know that I am not making this up....

Disclaimer - I have not studied every poster ever made for WW2, but I noticed two types of fonts used most often. One is very blocky, the other (in my mind) reminds me of Komika Axis (no, it is not exact, but has a similar feel). I didn't like the blocky. When the counter artist suggested using the font, I had looked at a bunch of posters and it popped. I was so excited at the time. I thought it was perfect.

Both font types can be seen together on these posters:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Jim Krohn wrote:

I've played all of those, and it's not even close.

Sorry if it was a bit of hyperbole. Hyperbole is literally the best thing ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Hi Jim. I always feel guilty criticising your products. I definitely have you pegged out as one of the good guys of the hobby. The courtesy you extend to those who criticise your products is, for me, a sign of a genuinely classy individual. Your comments here about some of the scenarios in SE is typical of what I am talking about.

I also know you are a clever, innovative designer and I respect the work you do. I fully acknowledge you have brought something new to the party with your BoB series.

The comment about "comic sans rage" is because I have spent a number of years working in education where this particular font is used by some professionals who think it is a more "friendly font" (whatever the heck that is) and therefore makes it more accessible to students.

Personally, I can't stand the look of it and it gives me a headache every time I try to read it.

The font used in BoB is not comic sans, but I feel the same way about it. Reading anything on a counter is a stretch for me as my eyesight deteriorates and I like information on them to be clear and straightforward.

I get what you are saying about the font on the contemporary posters and if it was restricted to the box art, I would be saying nice job and go for it. On the counters and maps it just irritates me. It also doubly bugs me because, much as I try not to let it, it puts me off trying what is clearly a good product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW: Analyzing what is annoying about Komika Axis, I note that the vertical "midline" of the letters is very low, so that the top "half" of the letters is much larger than the bottom half (e.g. look at the letter "S" in particular), making them look "top-heavy", or somehow unstable like they'll wobble and fall over. It seems too whimsical & goofy, not in the same spirit as those non-blocky typefaces on the old posters to me.

Also, just as a technical ergonomic point about graphic design in games, I am a big believer in the graphic design and typefaces being clear and clean and readable and not drawing attention to themselves; preferably they should silently unobtrusively do their job (letting players read the counter text easily and clearly) without players consciously even noticing, or paying attention to, or getting distracted by the typeface. (I.e. the SPI / Redmond Simonsen style of simple clear clean graphic design.) Strange typefaces on counters are a small but unnecessary ergonomic hurdle, to me.

(See also the goofy strange and also unusually small typefaces on cards in multiple games by Portal Games (e.g. Tides of Time, Imperial Settlers, Theseus), about which various people have complained over the years...)

---

BTW that Komika Axis seems to be on the SE cover, but not GP or TA, which both have somewhat more traditional looking (and to my eye more pleasing) typefaces in that "non-blocky" vein, especially the "TEXAS ARROWS" text:

E.g. compare those various typefaces' letter "S".

---

But to be clear, I agree with Ashiefan about your game designs themselves being good (I own BoB and Space Empires), and I certainly appreciate your continual helpful participation in the forums, and I really enjoy reading about your WW2 research and how it influenced the BoB design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BTW that Komika Axis seems to be on the SE cover, but not GP or TA, which both have somewhat more traditional looking (and to my eye more pleasing) typefaces in that "non-blocky" vein, especially the "TEXAS ARROWS" text:

Yes, for Ghost Panzer, WGs wanted to go with a more Germanic looking font.

The TA cover that you show is actually not the final cover. I asked them to change the Band of Brothers on the bottom to match the font of the Texas Arrows. That is how it was printed. You are right that it is a similar, but not exactly the same font as SE. That is because they are both American divisions. If we ever did another German division, it would be more like the GP font.

At least, that is the plan.

I know what you mean about the numbers on the counters and we did consider the readability of the numbers on the font. I thought they passed the readability test.

The top is Comic Sans, the bottom Komika Axis.

Ironically, I think the Comic Sans numbers are even more readable.

What it all comes down to is taste. As much as I do like Komika Axis, there is a part of me that wishes I had avoided it for the problems it causes with some people. Hopefully, the knowledge of what I was trying to accomplish will help you over look it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi Jim. I always feel guilty criticising your products. I definitely have you pegged out as one of the good guys of the hobby. The courtesy you extend to those who criticise your products is, for me, a sign of a genuinely classy individual. Your comments here about some of the scenarios in SE is typical of what I am talking about.

That is very kind of you to say.

FWIW, I felt I have learned a ton about being a game designer - BoB:SE and Space Empires were both my first designs and were released almost concurrently. While both have been considered innovative designs, there were things that could be improved. Being on the boards after the release, REALLY helped me. I learned a lot about writing rules for clarity, and we revised the Space Empires rules to no end based on all the posts online. Something simple like putting up a poll to help get feedback on the new hill graphics that came with the BoB updated maps, that came about because of my time here. I could go on.

I felt like SE:CE and BoB:GP were step ups and I fell that BoB:TA and Talon are even better.

Anyway, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

ROFLMFAO!!!! The font! I cant believe I just read a criticism about the font!!!

Gimme a crappy game with a nice font, and I'm happy!!! LMAO...

Wow...the font...how funny...the font is just fine. The game is superb.

The font...still laughing at that one...next it'll be the shape of the box! How funny...

Im so sorry to be so course...it's just so funny to even hear the font being brought up! Of all the things I've heard discussed regarding tactical level WWII war games...unless the font is illegible, I'm not sure why anyone would even bother to mention it unless they are fresh water fishing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you were doing so well...

Then you messed up and said the 't' word.

Now the local hall monitor will have to have your ass (you know: after all the children get through tattling...). whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Having played EVERY tactical system produced after 1972, I also think the statement stands. Rules to realism ratio is second-to-none in this system, and there isn't a gamey loophole to be found anywhere. Every other system has its positive points and models a few to several things well, absolutely, but for WW2 battlefield realities, this one makes you most properly use real-world tactics and thinking to succeed.

Where does Fighting Formations fall among the others do you think? I haven't played it yet, but just based on reading it over, the rules to realism ratio seems a bit too high compared to its peers. What do other people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I haven't played it yet, but just based on reading it over, the rules to realism ratio seems a bit too high compared to its peers. What do other people think?"

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Curmudgeon wrote:
russ wrote:

ROFLMFAO!!!! The font! I cant believe I just read a criticism about the font!!!

Gimme a crappy game with a nice font, and I'm happy!!! LMAO...

Yes, it might have been funny, if I had actually said that I'm happy with a crappy game with a nice font.

Quote:
Im so sorry to be so course... it's just so funny to even hear the font being brought up! Of all the things I've heard discussed regarding tactical level WWII war games...unless the font is illegible, I'm not sure why anyone would even bother to mention it unless they are trolling...

You were evidently too busy laughing to notice that I did not bring it up, but that I was responding in agreement to someone else who brought it up... (Nor did you notice that I mentioned it being harder to read than a more conventional typeface.)

I'm not sure why you think it's "trolling" for people to talk about things they dislike about a game as well as things they like about a game, but whatever.

Some publishers and designers are interested in knowing what people dislike as well as what they like, even if you are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.