Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Fluck
United Kingdom
Milton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having fun with the game. Only playing two player so far and the prisoners are 4:0 down - it is tough I think in 2 player mode. I would be interested in others views. Any two player variants?

I was lucky enough to make it to the staff car. I assume you have to drive it to the exit point from the main entrance - about 46 spaces - which is a tough ask even with 6 throws. My question is whether doubles allow additional rolls as per normal turns.

Second question - are guards allowed outside Colditz at any time or only when chasing and escapee? How do guards return to play if they close a route behind them and then are leftstranded which can happen beyond the wire.

Many thanks

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're playing the new 2016 Osprey Edition...?

For the Staff Car...
Rules, pg 7 wrote:
Movement
If you roll doubles on any dice roll, be it for movement or due to a card, you may roll again adding the extra dice to your total. You may never roll more than two extra times due to rolling doubles.

Rules, pg 11 wrote:
Quick Reference
Rolling doubles on any dice roll allows a re-roll, which is added to the total. You can never re-roll more than twice on a given dice roll.

It's certainly clear that doubles lead to extra rolls, even when rolling for cards (not just movement). But I guess these quotes could be interpreted as either...
- "no more than 2 extra rolls TOTAL", or
- "no more than 2 extra rolls for EACH of the original 6 rolls".
I'd probably lean toward 2 extra rolls total for simplicity, but I'm not entirely sure because of the way it says "on a given dice roll".
Is it one roll of 12 dice giving a single total (purely limited to throwing them 2 at a time by the components), or 6 rolls or 2 dice each?
EDIT: no, that's silly, as "doubles" on 12 dice is meaningless. I'm still no clearer though!

For guards stranded outside the castle...
They return directly to the Commander's Office...
Rules, pg 10 wrote:
Successful Escapes
Once a POW escapes, any or all Escape Attempt markers of that POW’s colour may be removed from the board at the Security Officer’s discretion. If any Guards were pursuing that POW outside the castle, and there are no other POWs in that area, those Guards are sent immediately to the Commander’s office.

For 2 Players...
I've picked up a few ideas for 2P variants from around the forums + my own tweaks, but I'm yet to try them...
2P Variant Ideas wrote:
A) Take turns controlling Germans so they move twice per round, in between POW turns. Use pawn counts for 3 player game.
B) As per A, but split Germans & use spare pawn colour to distinguish. Possibly increase German pawn count from 6 to 8 each, and possibly allow moving other player's Germans at double pip cost (to encourage against repeatedly moving a pursuing guard back & forth!)
C) 1 player controls multiple nationalities but sticks to trading rules, other player controls Germans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjfluck wrote:
My question is whether doubles allow additional rolls as per normal turns.

What does it say on the Staff Car card? In the older version, doubles
didn't contribute to the six allowed rolls to escape, so you could have
as many doubles as you wanted ... essential to make that escape!

rjfluck wrote:
Are guards allowed outside Colditz at any time or only when chasing and escapee? How
do guards return to play if they close a route behind them and then are left stranded
which can happen beyond the wire.

Under the Guards section of the rulebook ...

"When giving chase over walls or through wire
a guard must use the same route as the escaping
POW. He must return directly to barracks either
when the POW reaches his target or when he makes
an arrest or shoots to kill
"

... No mention of Guards outside the walls for no reason. Not allowed
to block pathways inside and never seen a Guard outside until someone
tries to escape ... I personally wouldn't let a Guard outside until
he has to chase someone ... Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Staff Car (2016 Osprey Edition)
Quote:
Use your movement to get a POW to the staff car marked on the board. Roll the dice 6 times and use the total score to 'drive' out through the main gate (you may ignore the inspection point and any Guards blocking the route). If your POW reaches the target he has escaped successfully; if not he is sent to solitary.

(emphasis as per the card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Fluck
United Kingdom
Milton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Yes, playing the new Osprey edition.

Missed the guards outside the wire bit so thank you for pointing it out.

I will go with doubles allow rerolls up to two times for each 6 'rolls' - it is a long way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Fluck
United Kingdom
Milton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt that guards should stay within the confines of the castle until giving chase - for example blocking the main entrance route seems unreasonable.

Within the castle certain routes can be blocked but then a prisoner can run into them to clear the way so that seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, makes sense if the guards only leave the castle after an escape. And that fits with the rule which forces them back inside if they're stranded with no remaining POWs outside.

After all, it's supposed to be inescapable, so why would they bother patrolling outside the grounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Antonio Ruiz Carmena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, pg 7 wrote:
Movement
If you roll doubles on any dice roll, be it for movement or due to a card, you may roll again adding the extra dice to your total. You may never roll more than two extra times due to rolling doubles.

Rules, pg 11 wrote:
Quick Reference
Rolling doubles on any dice roll allows a re-roll, which is added to the total. You can never re-roll more than twice on a given dice roll.

In a video of Osprey Games, in the minute 3:24 he said:
"That turn we can never have more than three rolls together"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8Q6hFSlyI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
This is Filip from Osprey

Staff Car
Each of the six rolls are considered independent rolls - each may result in up to two extra rolls

Guards outside castle
Guards are not allowed outside the castle when not giving chase. In truth, the only way they could achieve that would be to leave some cut wires/ropes after a successful escape (which they are allowed to automatically clear), or to go out via the two checkpoints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.