Hide
6 Posts

Clockwork Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forced March rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
d&d dude
msg tools
When using a forced march order, are you required to put the order on your deployment sheet? Or can you choose which intervening tile to use after seeing where other players place their discs? We had this come up during a game and I argued you had to assign the unit(s) in the intervening space on your sheet just like every other deployment. My opponent would write the order for the destination space but would not put an order in for the intervening space(s). Then after we revealed deployment orders he would choose in which space to place the FM disc(s). (sometimes there were multiple possibilities) - I hope this question makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fenirob wrote:
When using a forced march order, are you required to put the order on your deployment sheet? Or can you choose which intervening tile to use after seeing where other players place their discs? We had this come up during a game and I argued you had to assign the unit(s) in the intervening space on your sheet just like every other deployment. My opponent would write the order for the destination space but would not put an order in for the intervening space(s). Then after we revealed deployment orders he would choose in which space to place the FM disc(s). (sometimes there were multiple possibilities) - I hope this question makes sense.

It does make sense, and you absolutely need to indicate all the orders on your deployment sheet, including those to the intervening spaces. You cannot make this decision after your opponents have revealed their orders.

In the rulebook, I say,

"You may only deploy units to a territory that...
- you currently control, or
- is adjacent to a territory that you control, or
- is 2 tiles away from a territory that you control, if the intervening territory is currently unoccupied (the Forced March rule).

You must deploy at least one unit to the intervening territory when conducting a Forced March.
"

Use of the word "deploy" in this last sentence is meant to imply writing down a hidden deployment order. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear!

- Hassan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to put down all your deployment orders on your sheet. Your unit required for forced march is a deployed unit just like any other. Your opponent has some creative ways of interpreting the rules!

EDIT: Oops, ninja'd by the Man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d&d dude
msg tools
I thought it was clear!

Thanks for the quick response. I have to say, the 4 player game that spawned this argument was one of the most intense, hotly contested (and fun) games that I have ever played (and I own a game store). Frankly, I enjoyed it more than Scythe. You did a phenomenal job of designing this wonderful game. Is there going to be a second printing? I have one left in stock and I'll be sad to see it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I sincerely hope there will be a 2nd printing in the future, but it's totally up to Eagle-Gryphon. I think once we're totally sold out, I might be able to push the issue a bit more heavily...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d&d dude
msg tools
I'm working on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.