Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of the binders and extra components in the Core Set, but what's up with the factions in the Starter vs. Core. Are they the same? The box covers say:

Core - Blood Anarchs vs. Moss Sentinels
Starter - Bashing vs. Finesse

Would the Starter essentially be an expansion if you owned the retail Core?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game essentially has seven colors: Red, green, blue, purple, black, white, and neutral. All colors except "neutral" have three heroes, while neutral has two.

The starter has both heroes of the neutral colors and their associated cards, while the core has red and green with all six heroes. There is no overlap in cards between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The factions in the core are different then the heroes in the starter.

The Core set contains two factions each with three heroes (for a total of 6 heroes in the core set).

Moss Sentinels contain these heroes:
Calamandra (Feral)
Midori (Balance)
Argagarg (Growth)

Blood Anarchs contain these heroes:
Zane (Anarchy)
Drakk (Blood)
Jaina (Fire)

The starter set contains these two heroes:
River (Finesse)
Troq (Bashing)

Since you can make up your codex of any three heroes the starter does effectively act as an expansion if you have the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Neutral had a 3rd hero now. The game is complete but knowing there is not a 3rd hero makes it feel incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neutral heroes are intended to be used in a multi-color deck. They provide a bit of stability in some of the weirder combinations.

I know what you mean about incomplete feeling, but this way there are 20 heroes total instead of 21. If there were 21, it'd feel incomplete unless there were 30 heroes. The cycle just gets out of hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
I wish Neutral had a 3rd hero now. The game is complete but knowing there is not a 3rd hero makes it feel incomplete.

Completely agree. Huge missed opportunity. That started box is gonna just be to teach 1st time players and collect dust after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! This information should really be in the product description, very confusing. I'll bet most non-Kickstarter consumers pass on the starter not realizing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
RayLancer wrote:

Completely agree. Huge missed opportunity. That started box is gonna just be to teach 1st time players and collect dust after that.

If you only ever play mono colors then this would be the case. But Codex building allows for the starter set to be more then just a starter set. In fact, River Montoya is quite popular and sees a lot of use in 3 hero Codices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
RayLancer wrote:

Yeah, I think "Neutral" shoulda totally just been a 7th faction and if there's one mistake in Codex's design that's it.

Personally right now I prefer just playing with the mono colors but even with customization I don't really see what the design benefit is to having "neutral" cards -- they basically have to be slightly underpowered (that's Bashing) or they're just gonna be good Specs that get to "cheat" the multicolor penalty and become overused (that's Finesse, probably).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:

Keep in mind that it's not exactly a 7th Color. Rather, it's more like the neutral specs are accessible by any faction. I think there's two specs so that they fit nicely into a 1v1 Starter Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
And if Neutral had a third color, it would break the well established pattern of every Fantasy Strike game having 20 character options available for players to choose from ; )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorFedora wrote:
And if Neutral had a third color, it would break the well established pattern of every Fantasy Strike game having 20 character options available for players to choose from ; )

Well, it's no longer the same 20 characters anyway - unlike Puzzle Strike and Yomi, who shared them all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Gottschalk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Thanks everyone! This information should really be in the product description, very confusing. I'll bet most non-Kickstarter consumers pass on the starter not realizing this.

I don't see the confusion here. The Starter set says "Bashing vs Finesse" and shows the pictures of two heroes, the Core set says "Blood Anarchs vs Moss Sentinels" and shows six heroes, none of which is one of the two Starter set heroes. And on the back side, the Starter set lists the number of Bashing and Finesse cards, while the Core set doesn't even mention them.

The titles of the sets themselves are a bit confusing though, calling them Starter and Core makes them both sound like the basic product. I can definitely see some confusion there when talking about those sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Slayer wrote:
charlest wrote:

I don't see the confusion here. The Starter set says "Bashing vs Finesse" and shows the pictures of two heroes, the Core set says "Blood Anarchs vs Moss Sentinels" and shows six heroes, none of which is one of the two Starter set heroes. And on the back side, the Starter set lists the number of Bashing and Finesse cards, while the Core set doesn't even mention them.

The titles of the sets themselves are a bit confusing though, calling them Starter and Core makes them both sound like the basic product. I can definitely see some confusion there when talking about those sets.

Well imagine someone who just comes across it and doesn't know what heroes are or the factions.

Also, Blood Anarchs and Moss Sentinels are colorful faction names while Bashing and Finesse are descriptors. It's not clear those aren't a subset of the two factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
DoctorFedora wrote:

Well, it's no longer the same 20 characters anyway - unlike Puzzle Strike and Yomi, who shared them all

I know... I want my Valerie, Gwen, and Gloria in Codex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
haslo wrote:
DoctorFedora wrote:

I know... I want my Valerie, Gwen, and Gloria in Codex

Forget them. Give me my BBB deck. He's the most important missing character

It would be cool to eventually get all the missing FS characters into the game. Only bummer is sadness for Degrey fans. If it ever was a thing I'm not sure he'd get his own spec. It might be weird to have Degrey the hero and Degrey the unit in play at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.