30.1% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sake of illustration, assume the mode is Intelligence War. As a free action, you bribe an opponent's card which provides the Assassinate action (among others). This card moves to your tableau as a result of the successful bribe. Can you play the Assassinate action now? It seems to me you can and I think it is even thematic that you should be able to. I can't find anything in the rules that define what cards you can play Special actions from other than that you use the cards in your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
You can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
For this reason Eldred Pottinger is among the most bribed card in the game. In fact, one of the reasons he's a patriot is to give potential non-British bribers a hard choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
I think this answers a question I had.

If you play a card from your hand, you can play it immediately as a free action, before taking your second action.

Can you take a card from the marketplace and then play it your tableau and then take a free action. I cannot find a rule saying you cannot, but I seem to remember a limit on this somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get to do 2 "normal" actions and unlimited number of free actions (associated to current regime). In any order. So yes:
1. 1st action buy a card
2. 2nd action play a card
3. Do free actions untill you say "Done! Take that!", then turn passes to next player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Wood
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm now wondering if I've been misinterpreting rules somehow, given the couple of posts subsequent to Cole's response (and the fact that he didn't step in to correct anyone).

According to (E1.4) in Living Rules 1.2 "Each card can only be used for one action per turn". Given this, I've been playing that a card Played (a Standard Action) can't be followed by a Special Action from that same card during the same turn (even if the Special Action happened to be free). One Standard Action + one Special Action, both utilizing the same card, seems to imply two "actions" to me.

Along these same lines, I've also been disallowing a purchase/play combo of the same card during the same turn (i.e. two Standard Actions).

As far as Bribing goes, it seems to be the one odd-ball case in which you can introduce a new card into your tableau (via a Special Action from a pre-existing card in your tableau), and then utilize a Special Action on this newly introduced card. Thus, Cole's response to the OP makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not allowed to use the same card for two actions in single turn. I just "tap" used card.
As for bribry - good point... You can bride "used" or "not used" card... Cole, what do you say? If i will bribe some card can i use it in the same turn (considering i have some action left or it may be used for free, regime action)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
To my mind, a card played to your tableau would not count as an action for the card.

I had also been playing it so that a card played from hand to tableau could not then have its special action used, as there seems too much freedom in this. We had played it so that only card already on the tableau could have their special actions employed.

Doing things this new way would mean you could pick up a card, play it, use a special action then get discard it in the cleanup phase.

At the moment from what people are saying here this seems possible and we will try this method next time. Please if this is wrong can someone say where the limits lay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imo playing a card for the non-action effect is simply not the same as taking the action printed on a card in play.

And as actions taken in previous turns by other players are not taken during your own turn, taking a card with bribery should allow you to then take an action with that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
You can bride "used" or "not used" card... Cole, what do you say? If i will bribe some card can i use it in the same turn (considering i have some action left or it may be used for free, regime action)?

How is this question different from the original (OP) one I posted to start this thread? Cole already answered that: yes, you can use actions on a card in the same turn that you acquire it via bribery.

I'm not sure what you mean by bribing "used" or "not used" cards and maybe this somehow is factoring into your re-asking the question? I suppose you could bribe one of your own cards. Perhaps this is what you are getting at -- enabling further actions on a card in your tableau that you have already used by bribing your own used card?

I doubt you can bribe your own cards though. Rule E7.1 says (about the Bribe action): "Use this action to steal one card where you have a spy." Maybe Cole should add an entry for "Steal" in the glossary, but normal usage would indicate this is an action you can only do against opponents, not yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From another thread:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
On a turn you could:
1. Purchase a card from the market (standard action 1)
2. Play the card onto your tableau (standard action 2)
3. Perform ONE of the card's special actions if it matched the mode of the current regime (as a free action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.