Subject: Protecting Old and/or collectible games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, having acquired my personal grail game, Magic Realm, I have a great desire to preserve it. I am not usually picky about condition of games. I rarely sleeve my cards, and I fully intend on PLAYING this game, not merely looking at it. But since it is old and rare, I want to make sure it endures the plays.

My 2 thoughts are:

spray-on clear coat

Or

Clear, self adhesive laminating material (archival quality so it doesnt degrade the paper/cardboard)

Then I thought, both. Use spray on for the smaller bits, and the laminating material for map tiles, character cards, big stuff.

I am concerned about glare from the laminate (possibly from the spray as well). Does anyone have experience with these methods of preservation?

Are there other concerns? Othr methods I could look into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am museum curator and archivist, so I have some background knowledge that might be of use. When preserving paper, you want to be aware of climate and acidity. If possible, try to store the game in a dark place like a closet to avoid fading due to light exposure. You could look into storing the game in an archival-safe box (check out www.demco.com for all kinds of preservation supplies). Lamination should be fine as well, if you decide to go that route.

As far as actually playing the game, just let players know that the game is old, and ask them to be respectful and careful as they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to laminate or use clear-coat, just be aware that this may affect future market value. Hard to say for sure, but sometimes if you modify a collectible from its original state, it can decrease the value. Basically, ask yourself if you will ever consider selling it. It's your game now, so it's your call!

(Admittedly, a lot of BGG-ers like the "pimped-out" games, so it may not matter. I've just seen too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow where the person "fixed up" their item, thereby substantially decreasing stars value.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no intention to sell. Just want the game to last as long as possible (while still playing it).

The game was in excellent (mostly unpunched) condition when I got it. I just want to enjoy it for as long as possible. For now, playing it and just not being rough, but I feel like I should do something to protect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically you will never play it so much it will be dead. No way in hell.

Dusty old tomes are cool because the wear, sterile environments are never cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
I have no intention to sell. Just want the game to last as long as possible (while still playing it).

The game was in excellent (mostly unpunched) condition when I got it. I just want to enjoy it for as long as possible. For now, playing it and just not being rough, but I feel like I should do something to protect it.

If you're never going to sell it, but you want to play it a lot and prevent wear, it might be worthwhile to laminate stuff. Your call. Congrats on getting your grail, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think the cards are getting a bit old you could scan tham in to a computer and print a new set off (or print off some pimp up new cards).

But a must to keep any game in good condition is to store tt correctly, like make your own Tuck Boxes for the cards and counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.