$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.8% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty specific that you can play an occupation card before or after using the action that you are selecting, but we had a rather specific timing question come up on our first play regarding this.

One of the players had an occupation that let them take a single resource from a mountain tile when they take an action in the crafting row. If they take a 4-Viking action in that row, and they have this occupation in their hand when they do so, if they choose to play that occupation, do they get the bonus resource or not?

My gut feeling was no, because they had to "choose the action" before they could play the occupation card, so it was not out at the time they "chose the action." However, that's somewhat splitting hairs, and I'd like to know if there is an official verdict on this or not (since I did see at least one other "when you choose an action" occupation show up as well).

Edit: Frank from Feuerland responded below and clarified that you do get the extra resource in this case. My gut feeling was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vahe K
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You place your 4 workers, you can play an occupation card before or after, so if you can play before the action that means that the card is active and then you take the action hence you get the bonus. I'm pretty certain that it was meant to play that way so you get that cool feeling pulling off a combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
West Henrietta
NY - New York
flag msg tools
I think "using" and "taking" an action are one in the same. So you can play that occupation card right away, then take the action, then get the benefits of the occupation card. I don't think anywhere in the rulebook it differentiates "choosing the action" as a separate step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing of the occupation card is the player's choice. The occupation card can come into effect before or after the action in the fourth row is carried out, whatever is best for the active player.
And to answer the specific example: Yes the player can take the bonus resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone, and especially thank you Frank for the official word.

We enjoyed the game greatly and are looking forward to playing again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do have 1 follow-up question about the timing issue here; it involves card #106 (Warmonger). If I have 3 or 4 Longboats but have not yet played the Occupation, can I play the card before I place the Vikings and thus only have to play 3 or 2 Vikings on that space; or do you have to play 4 Vikings before "activating" the space and thus before you get to play the Occupation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scotfree2 wrote:
I do have 1 follow-up question about the timing issue here; it involves card #106 (Warmonger). If I have 3 or 4 Longboats but have not yet played the Occupation, can I play the card before I place the Vikings and thus only have to play 3 or 2 Vikings on that space; or do you have to play 4 Vikings before "activating" the space and thus before you get to play the Occupation?

I'd like to know this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotfree2 wrote:

In this example you have to place 4 vikings in order to activate the card (and you won't get back any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.