Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello

first time con goer.

1.what time does the bgg library open and close and what is the policy of checking out games?

2.does the library contain mainly older games? new releases? is it hard to find the game you want to play?

3. is the idea of this con to learn and play new games? if so will there be people demoing games or acting as teachers?

I have eclipse and really need someone to show me how to play it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Shald
United States
Olathe
KS
flag msg tools
Does "Betrayal at House on the Hill" count as a zombie game?
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
Hello

first time con goer.

1.what time does the bgg library open and close and what is the policy of checking out games?

2.does the library contain mainly older games? new releases? is it hard to find the game you want to play?

3. is the idea of this con to learn and play new games? if so will there be people demoing games or acting as teachers?

Hours for the library are 8am to 1pm.
Library Policy is pretty straight forward. You can check out one game at a time (and it's expansions). New stuff can be out for 4 hours, older games for 12.

New stuff tends to have multiple copies, old stuff just one. The contents can be found here. There's also a neat Twitter notification system if you're waiting on something, but you can ask them at the sign-out desk. It's all alphabetical, and pretty simple.

If you need more players, or someone to teach you a game, there are flags you can setup requesting either. (Or, you might notice that someone needs more players for a game you want to play, and jump in!)

If you're looking to schedule something longer, you might look to this thread.

Honestly though, when I was a first timer, I found this thread really helpful. Even after several cons, I still read it just to refresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mains
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
Hello

first time con goer.

I am a first timer too, but I found this thread VERY useful.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1576079/tips-bgg-con-vetera...

I am really looking forward to the Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Here's the library hours
Library Hours:
Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. (yes, after midnight)
Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Sunday - 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Mid-day)

Also, rules for the library

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Library#

2. Here's links to the games in the library

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1268543/bgg-library-has-evo...

3. The goal of everyone is different. I try to play some new games. I try to play some hard to get to the table games and there's lots of demoing going on in the vendor hall. If you have a game you want to play there are flags you can sit at the table. One is a "looking for players" flag and the other is a "looking for teacher" flag. You might try that for eclipse.

There is also a hot section in the great hall for the hottest games, there are often times vendors or others teaching those games and then allowing people to play through, but it can be tough to get to those at times.

I try to spread the karma around and teach at least one game to someone during the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Reitman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: your second and third questions. The library selection is stellar. It pretty much has anything you could ever want to play. Even for "Hot" games prior years our group had no problem finding the game eventually. It may take a couple visits to the library to find it, but it always worked out. One tip, if you are browsing the library and want something specific, keep an eye on the check-in desk. We had a few occasions where we were able to take the game we wanted immediately after it was returned.

As for the idea of the con... it's to have fun playing games with your friends and new people. There is a hot games area where the new hotness is setup. This is a great place to meet others and to learn new games. I have met a few new con buddies there every year.

As others have mentioned, there are flags for Teacher Wanted you can set on your table if you need help with a game. My experience with these is mixed for two reasons. First, sometimes you won't find a teacher. Second, sometimes the teacher is not the teacher you need (they don't explain things the way you I them explained for it to click). The flags still a valuable tool, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.