Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Great Marvel stories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm really more of a DC guy when it comes to the books themselves, so I figure I should rectify this.

What are the really great stories published by Marvel?

I've read the '70s X-Men comics, and a bit of Daredevil iirc, but they're nothing as good as the stuff I'm fond of from DC, especially its Vertigo imprint. I'm a big fan of the Image/Vertigo series Astro City, and of course Sandman, and the early Frank Miller Batman stories, and a bit of Alan Moore. What are you guys thinking? Brubaker's Captain America maybe? What should I read to get at the really heady literary (lite) character stories?

I figure here is a good place to ask; here it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:

I'd swear there was a thread around here somewhere with reading recommendations, but I can't find it....

Ever? Or in recent years?

Ever:

The Dark Phoenix Saga: Uncanny X-Men #101-108, #129-138. Might as well read everything in between, or even all of Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men from #101 to #200 or 220, somewhere in there.

Days of Future Past: Uncanny X-Men #141–142.

The Coming of Galactus: The Fantastic Four at its finest. First appearance of Galactus and Silver Surfer. Plus the Watcher.

Kraven's Last Hunt: J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck published in 1987, featuring the final battle between Kraven the Hunter and Spider-Man. Web of Spider-Man #31-32, The Amazing Spider-Man #293-294, and The Spectacular Spider-Man #131-132.

Frank Miller's first run on Daredevil: #168-191, especially the Elektra and Bullseye stuff, 1981-1983. Plus the Elektra: Assassin mini-series with art by Bill Sienkiewicz.

Daredevil: Born Again - Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli, 1986. You probably already read either these or Frank Miller's earlier Daredevil/Elektra story arc.

Walt Simonson's run on Thor (Thor #337-355, #357-369, #371-382; Balder the Brave #1-4), especially the introduction of Beta Ray Bill.

Peter David's run on the Hulk, especially the issues with Todd McFarlane's artwork. Todd McFarlane's subsequent run on Amazing Spider-Man was pretty good stuff, but I haven't revisited it, so I'm not sure it should be considered "best ever" really.

Infinity Gauntlet: Jim Starlin, George Perez, Ron Lim, limited series and crossover books featuring Thanos, Silver Surfer, and Adam Warlock). Jim Starlin's whole run on Silver Surfer was awesome, actually. Adam Warlock's book from this time period was really good, too. This was the prelude to Infinity War, which was also fantastic.

In recent years:

A lot of people would say the original Civil War, but I didn't care for it personally.

Brian Michael Bendis' run on New Avengers (including the House of M story arc)

FF (Future Foundation), especially vol. 2. #1-16 (2013-2014)

Silver Surfer vol. 7 #1-15 (2014-2016), vol. 8 #1 - current (2016)

Matt Fraction and David Aja's run on Hawkeye (2013-2014)

Honestly, I would recommend that you just take a gander at the Eisner Award winners and nominees and go by that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eisner_Award_winners

You'll find more Marvel stuff in the nominees....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looking at the Eisner winners, I think I'm seeing why I never read any of the "great" modern Marvel stories---DC had the "Best Writer" Eisners locked up all through the 90s, pretty much! (Thanks to a handful of writers, of course, but still.)

I guess I'll check out Busiek, Bendis, and Brubaker during the next sale. Thanks for the recommendations, DarthEd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Hake
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
The greatest stories published by Marvel are the G.I. Joe comics from the 1980s #1-96. The 1990-'91 issues #97-122 are good, too. After that, they were hit-or-miss. I especially liked the G.I Joe Special Missions series from 1987-'89 (lasted 28 issues).

In case you didn't know, G.I.Joe was one of the top-selling Marvel titles for a few years in the mid-1980s.

But if you want Marvel stories with characters from Legendary, see DarthEd's post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add the following recent books that stick out:

Mark Ward's 2 volume run on Daredevil (30+ consecutive issues)

Superior Spider-Man: The highly controversial run that had Doc Ock taking over Peter's body and trying to be a hero. And not being as horrible at it as you might expect.

If you want something funny (and well written) to read, the The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a great look at a group of B and C list villains trying to make a name for themselves and pull a heist or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Looking at the Eisner winners, I think I'm seeing why I never read any of the "great" modern Marvel stories---DC had the "Best Writer" Eisners locked up all through the 90s, pretty much! (Thanks to a handful of writers, of course, but still.)

Yeah, the '90s were great for DC. In the early 2000s, Marvel upped the ante with Grant Morrison on New X-Men (2001), J. Michael Straczynski on Spider-Man (2001), Brian Michael Bendis on Alias (2001-2004), and Joss Whedon on Astonishing X-Men (2004). All good runs.

Really should've included Alias in my post above....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anything current?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Anything current?

The Silver Surfer vol. 8 I mentioned above is current.

I've been enjoying A-Force, Moon Knight, Iron Fist... Guardians of the Galaxy is usually fun. I'm not sure I'd call any of them must-read.

I read this awesome issue of Amazing Spider-Man in which Mary Jane Watson put on the Iron Spider armor a couple months ago.... I was like, "THIS IS THE THING I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED BUT NEVER KNEW I WANTED UNTIL NOW!" It got me to re-subscribe to Amazing Spider-Man. Next issue: No sign of MJ as Iron Spider-Woman! I was all "WTF? *NERD RAGE* GIVE ME MY MJ AS IRON SPIDER-WOMAN!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dog
msg tools
Spider-Woman is my current favorite book. She's become a single mom, and as a dude who doesn't want kids, this book gives me much needed perspective on the people with busy lives who still do.

Get on it soon, though. The sales are bleak. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:

I'd swear there was a thread around here somewhere with reading recommendations, but I can't find it....

Ever? Or in recent years?

Ever:

The Dark Phoenix Saga: Uncanny X-Men #101-108, #129-138. Might as well read everything in between, or even all of Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men from #101 to #200 or 220, somewhere in there.

Days of Future Past: Uncanny X-Men #141–142.

The Coming of Galactus: The Fantastic Four at its finest. First appearance of Galactus and Silver Surfer. Plus the Watcher.

Kraven's Last Hunt: J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck published in 1987, featuring the final battle between Kraven the Hunter and Spider-Man. Web of Spider-Man #31-32, The Amazing Spider-Man #293-294, and The Spectacular Spider-Man #131-132.

Frank Miller's first run on Daredevil: #168-191, especially the Elektra and Bullseye stuff, 1981-1983. Plus the Elektra: Assassin mini-series with art by Bill Sienkiewicz.

Daredevil: Born Again - Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli, 1986. You probably already read either these or Frank Miller's earlier Daredevil/Elektra story arc.

Walt Simonson's run on Thor (Thor #337-355, #357-369, #371-382; Balder the Brave #1-4), especially the introduction of Beta Ray Bill.

Peter David's run on the Hulk, especially the issues with Todd McFarlane's artwork. Todd McFarlane's subsequent run on Amazing Spider-Man was pretty good stuff, but I haven't revisited it, so I'm not sure it should be considered "best ever" really.

Infinity Gauntlet: Jim Starlin, George Perez, Ron Lim, limited series and crossover books featuring Thanos, Silver Surfer, and Adam Warlock). Jim Starlin's whole run on Silver Surfer was awesome, actually. Adam Warlock's book from this time period was really good, too. This was the prelude to Infinity War, which was also fantastic.

In recent years:

A lot of people would say the original Civil War, but I didn't care for it personally.

Brian Michael Bendis' run on New Avengers (including the House of M story arc)

FF (Future Foundation), especially vol. 2. #1-16 (2013-2014)

Silver Surfer vol. 7 #1-15 (2014-2016), vol. 8 #1 - current (2016)

Matt Fraction and David Aja's run on Hawkeye (2013-2014)

Honestly, I would recommend that you just take a gander at the Eisner Award winners and nominees and go by that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eisner_Award_winners

You'll find more Marvel stuff in the nominees....

I would definitely agree with Ed on all these, though I was not a big fan of Infinity Gauntlet and I loved Civil War.

To add to an already great list, I'd include Dan Slott's run on Amazing Spider-Man, including stories such as Spider-Island (everyone in Manhattan gets Spider-Man powers), Superior Spider-Man (Doctor Octopus tries to prove that he can be a greater Spider-Man than Peter Parker) and Spider-Verse (Spider-Man leads an army of alt-universe Spider-Men & Women against a family of totemic vampires). It's a run that continues today.

Johnathon Hickman's Fantastic Four, along with the previously mentioned FF, Avengers, and New Avengers, culminating in the phenomenal Secret Wars series, is a great read. The classic Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars is fun too, especially considering it started life as a tie-in to a toy line.

Kelly Sue DeConnick redefined Carol Danvers from Ms. Marvel, an Avengers supporting character who wore a black leather swimsuit, to Captain Marvel, a powerful and influential main character who wears a flight suit. Her two runs were excellent, and I enjoyed the most recent run, even though a lot of it was lead in to the current Civil War II event.

Classic Avengers stories such as the Kree-Skrull War and Under Siege are definitive Avengers adventures. You've already mentioned Brubaker's Captain America, and I'd also include the Warren Ellis Extremis storyline in Iron Man.

Finally, track down Nextwave by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen. It is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Anything current?

The Silver Surfer vol. 8 I mentioned above is current.

I've been enjoying A-Force, Moon Knight, Iron Fist... Guardians of the Galaxy is usually fun. I'm not sure I'd call any of them must-read.

I read this awesome issue of Amazing Spider-Man in which Mary Jane Watson put on the Iron Spider armor a couple months ago.... I was like, "THIS IS THE THING I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED BUT NEVER KNEW I WANTED UNTIL NOW!" It got me to re-subscribe to Amazing Spider-Man. Next issue: No sign of MJ as Iron Spider-Woman! I was all "WTF? *NERD RAGE* GIVE ME MY MJ AS IRON SPIDER-WOMAN!"

People seem to either love Dan Slott or hate him. Count me in the former... I came back to comics when he started his run on ASM and now I'm picking up Avengers, Captain America, Captain Marvel, and nearly any event Marvel does, good or not so good. I really like Slott's take on Peter and his life, especially his growth from disgraced photographer to CEO of his own corporation. His entire run seems to be focused on Spider-Man showing why he's the greatest super hero of them all, which I can't help but agree with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Dan Slott's run on Spiderman. I recently read the whole Spiderverse event on my Marvel app and thought it was great fun.

Other recent Marvel stuff I've liked is All-New Wolverine with former X-23 Laura Kinney. Really solid run with her sidekick Gabby and thanks to Squirrel Girl a pet wolverine named Jonathan.

Jason Aaron has had an excellent run on Thor and I'm looking forward to Thor the Unworthy. Ms. Marvel is a great title. Kamala Khan is a wonderful character. It was a favorite of my 5th grade class last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murphy Smith
United Kingdom
Exeter
devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret wars II was an amazing read, but a lot of it relies on knowing some of the back stories and countdown runs. Joss Wheddon's xmen run is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
servo19 wrote:

Other recent Marvel stuff I've liked is All-New Wolverine with former X-23 Laura Kinney. Really solid run with her sidekick Gabby and thanks to Squirrel Girl a pet wolverine named Jonathan.

Weapon II lives on?! Awesome! When does he show up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into comics for real in 2010. I've tried to go back and read the classics, but I just can't do it. The writing style and the art may have been groundbreaking in its day, but I find it really tough to get through given what we have in the modern era. Personally, I am the same way with classic films, so your mileage may vary.

It's hard to recommend modern Marvel stuff, because so much of what I love is the interconnectedness of it all. There's no Marvel equivalent of Watchmen or Sandman, where you need no prior knowledge to fully appreciate the story. Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja is one of the best comics ever and you will like it, but you will appreciate it so much more if you know the characters before you pick up the book.

I agree with DarthEd's modern recommendations above. I'd also add The Runaways by Brian K Vaughan, Moon Knight by Warren Ellis, New X-Men by Grant Morrison, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon. Kieron Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery is also fantastic, but is going to require some other reading to fully appreciate (Thor and Fear Itself tie-ins).

Recently I have been loving the more light-hearted and fun books that Marvel's got going. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North/Erica Henderson is consistently awesome, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat by Kate Leth/Britney Williams is similarly cute and fun. Mockingbird by Chelsea Cain/Kate Niemczyk was fun and surprisingly rich. And like Dog said, the latest stretch of Spider-Woman has turned her into one of my favorite characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swizit wrote:
Secret wars II was an amazing read, but a lot of it relies on knowing some of the back stories and countdown runs.

Ooh, I have to politely disagree on this. I absolutely hated SWII. It was just plain bad, IMHO. But that's what's awesome about all of this: what's bad for one is amazing for another!

I'm a big X-Men fan, I'd like to add the storylines of Mutant Massacre, The Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, and the Legacy Virus. Note: I'm talking about the original stories, not those recent Secret Wars alternate versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The All New X-Men please me quite a bit, as do the Spider Woman stories.

For older stories, my introduction into the X-Men is revered, and was collected in the Mutant Genesis Trade Paperback. Its version of Magneto was fantastic. If that isn't available for some reason, it was the 1991 X-Men 1-7. This was the finale of Chris Claremont's very long run as writer of Uncanny X-Men, and he clearly spent time refining that Magneto story in particular. Issues 4 to 7 are the introduction of Omega Red, who is pretty spiffy, too.

I thought the Ultimate comics lived up to the title, in particular Ultimate Spider Man by Brian Michael Bendis, who now writes the All New X-Men. That title just by itself is clever, as it focuses on the original X-Men, who have been sent to modern times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
I'm a huge fan of the X-Men, with a couple of their story lines already being mentioned. I would also recommend:

Mutant Massacre
Days of the Future Present
Age of Apocalypse
M-Day/House of M
Legacy Virus
E is for Extinction
Fatal Attractions
Muir Island Saga
Weapon X

That's just to name some. The Dark Phoenix saga is the best read though. Also, anything A-Force. It's brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting a Marvel Unlimited subscription, I started with a reading order I found online, and it's been fun (when Unlimited isn't missing issues, that is!)

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-o...

My favorite Marvel story/continuity is 1602, though I think it helped that I had read a lot of the 1960s issues in collected "Essential" paperback trade editions. The 1602 heroes are drawn from that period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
After getting a Marvel Unlimited subscription, I started with a reading order I found online, and it's been fun (when Unlimited isn't missing issues, that is!)

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-o...

That is an excellent guide, especially the pre-2000 trade list. The top 11 of the post-2000 trade list is very solid. After that, it's pretty shaky (with some exceptions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Pet Avengers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game to Chit Chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game to Chit Chat.

thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Planet Hulk, possibly the best Hulk story ever told. Just a perfect matching of character, setting, and story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a DC guy you ought to read the original Squadron Supreme miniseries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.