Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm experimenting with using removable labels of the kind that can be purchased in any office supplies store. These can be placed on the board and card spaces where one would be applying stickers or writing if one didn't want to permanently deface the board/cards. So far, the results have been acceptable.

Has anybody else been doing similar things to try to protect their game and permit do-overs and replay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but I know the Plaid Hat did, for purposes of demoing at conventions.

I think the consensus from past threads of this sort was that it was technically possible, but very difficult -- and possibly more expensive than just buying another copy of the game. (Keep in mind that you may have to create new sets of removable labels as you unlock new boxes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Plus I think for some, where Legacy games are concerned, it's like playing the game with training wheels. To really get the full feeling that your consequences matter, those changes need to be permanent. No do-overs.

I am sure that is how you are planning on playing (until the campaign ends) but just the knowledge that the marks could be removed makes it feel like you're playing with a safety net.

Okay, if that's what you want but some of us welcome the danger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Plus I think for some, where Legacy games are concerned, it's like playing the game with training wheels. To really get the full feeling that your consequences matter, those changes need to be permanent. No do-overs.

I am sure that is how you are planning on playing (until the campaign ends) but just the knowledge that the marks could be removed makes it feel like you're playing with a safety net.

I'm thinking more upon the lines of wanting to play the game with more than one team since I'm the leader of a gaming group and would like to get more players to enjoy the experience of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakkster wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

I'm thinking more upon the lines of wanting to play the game with more than one team since I'm the leader of a gaming group and would like to get more players to enjoy the experience of this game.

Concurrently? That sounds painful, having to write down all of the advisor upgrades after each game, peeling off the stickers, then rearranging them for each game... For example, by the end of game 12 of a 5-player campaign, there will be at least *60* advisor upgrade stickers to keep track of per game. And that's assuming other weird stuff doesn't happen to make it worse.

Hopefully you meant one group at a time. If so, it's a lot less painful, but even so ... if it were me (and it might be, depending on how the first campaign works out) I'd just go with buying additional copies. If the group splits the cost, it's really quite reasonable -- only about $1 or so per person per game.

But good luck either way, and report back how it works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

This frame of thought has always baffled me, because it implies that to these people, cheating and breaking the rules would be acceptable if not for the fact that the changes were irreversible.

Ripping up a card is just as irreversible as putting it at the bottom of the box to me, if the rules state that the card is out of play forever. I don't understand the distinction.

Bakkster wrote:

As was said above, you're asking for hours of work before and after each game. It's makes much more sense to just buy a second copy.

In addition, you'd be at an advantage in whatever game you played second. The knowledge of what's coming can be leveraged into better positioning. Better to just have each group of people play their own game. Have everybody chip in for it if money is a problem (after all, they are all getting the same experience and will be left with a mostly unusable product at the end).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Better to just have each group of people play their own game. Have everybody chip in for it if money is a problem (after all, they are all getting the same experience and will be left with a mostly unusable product at the end).

My group's copy is definitely one-shot, and I at least feel I've already gotten my $12 worth out of it *easily*. And we've still got most of the campaign in front of us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view on Legacy games is that if the rules clearly state (or obviously imply) that a component must be destroyed or ripped up or otherwise physically damaged, then the rule must be followed. Otherwise, youMre playing a variant.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
My view on Legacy games is that if the rules clearly state (or obviously imply) that a component must be destroyed or ripped up or otherwise physically damaged, then the rule must be followed. Otherwise, youMre playing a variant.

Eco

As long as "destroyed" components are removed irrevocably from the game, then they are (to my mind) as destroyed as they need to be for game purposes.

For our campaign, we put an "X" on milestones we complete, in our faction color. This marks the component as destroyed, provides an additional record of who did it, and also lets us reference the card later, if we need to. If you burn the card instead, then it makes it hard to resolve certain future questions.

Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey

Missouri
msg tools
Ecosmith wrote:

Eco

"Destroy: Remove the part from the game permanently (this and all future games). Rip it, burn it, shred it, or just set it aside."

The rules don't require permanent damage. That is a big part of the fun for me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's certainly an acceptableway to play. I think Rob added 'or just set aside' due to the hellstorm over on threads about 'destroy' in the Risk Legacy forums lol.

Eco

Edit: I've added a Campaign Victory Reward of my own to our rulebook: the winner of the campsign gets to Destroy the damn rulebook lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You realize you're playing a variant, right? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are using labels. Not because I'm going to reset the game at the end, but because the markers I bought smear really easily even after hours of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
msg tools
mbmb
I have been scanning the sticker sheets that came in the box as well as the any new stickers that have been unlocked. We have three boxes open so far.

At the moment I plan to 'reset' the game after we complete it and put it on the shelf and play through again a couple years from now.

Difficulty / Solution:
Stickers used - Print out on full sheet Avery sticker paper. Cut to size with exacto knife. (This is probably the most time consuming part but to me not a big deal.)
Names written on board and advisers - cosmetic really and wouldn't affect replayability.
Marks on cards and boards - whiteout and/or sticker over
Stickers placed on board and cards - can be carefully peeled off
Putting everything back in the right boxes - Most cards have a number on them that tell you what box they are from (00, 01, 02 etc) so along with some notes this is not that hard.
Knowing or remembering some of the better explore site numbers - randomize the number choice for each icon type instead of selecting a number from the map on a second playthrough

Otherwise if you actually set aside milestones and cards rather then destroy them they are completely reusable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.