8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Collecting and completing games - suggestions wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beth R.S.

Minnesota
msg tools
Newbie here. My sister dislikes most board games, except within the last few years, I discovered she legitimately enjoyed Ticket to Ride, so I got to introduce her to the various versions of it (US, Nordic, etc.) and she truly enjoys the game play even if she doesn't always win.

So it wasn't too much of a stretch to get her to play Lords of Waterdeep, and now that's probably her favorite of the games I own.

I think the aspects of these two games that she enjoys are what I think of as the "collecting" and "completing"--in both games, you spend considerable time collecting items (train cards or cubes) to complete other goals for points (tickets or quests) and are somewhat scalable to the level of skill of the player (beginners tend to take easier ticket routes or quests; more experienced players know they can complete longer routes or bigger quests for more points). I'd say my sister has a touch of OCD and so she's good at keeping track of these elements in games and likes that they are played somewhat independently--you don't have to keep track of what others are doing on the board (unless it interferes with your plans--then you can retaliate in fun ways).

Are there any other suggestions for games that have these types of elements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure!
Catan
Caylus
Takenoko
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Oikonomou
Greece
Kuthira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca - Collect fruit to deliver to different areas. It's out of print right now, but it's going to be reprinted next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor may be worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hi Beth,

I think the game mechanism you are referring to is called "set collection". There's a way that you can search for set collection games on the site here:

At the search bar at the top of the page, click advanced search.

You should see a big search page with lots of options. Only change one: click "Filter on Board Game Mechanic »", and check "set collection", then click submit.

click on "Geek rating" to sort the games that result by highest rating first.

Voila: you have a list of the highest rated set collection games to look into! Click on the game name to go to the page for that game, where you can find reviews, pictures, and play through videos so that you can see what the game is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludstifer wrote:

Just note that Tzolk'in is significantly heavier than Ticket to Ride. That might not be a problem at all, and based on the description that your sister is good at keeping track in games, it might very well be a great fit! But I'd make sure to watch a gameplay video of it or something before buying, just because it's so very different from Ticket to Ride

+1 on John's suggestion to search for Set Collection games, btw.

PS. Ludvig: We really need to get Tzolk'in to the table soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth R.S.

Minnesota
msg tools
Awesome, thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.