45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 actions per generation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
s schmi
msg tools
I wanted to post my frustration at learning that after 4 plays, and before the last game (last night) re-reading the instructions to see if we were playing something wrong, having a fellow experienced gamer re-read the directions and neither of us noted we were playing this incorrectly.

As it was pointed out in a different thread,

you may play 1 or 2 actions then the player your left plays 1 or 2 actions. play continues in this manner until all players have passed. Once all players have passed this ends the action phase and production begins.

This effectively does not mean everyone at the table is only taking 1 or 2 actions per generation.

How is such a significant rule not more clearly explained!?!?!

We were growing frustrated at the pile of cards we could never play, the pile of resources we could never use.

We are gathering tonight for a special edition game night to play for the first time correctly.

I am excited but at the same time frustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't understand the difficulty in processing the rules as written. It seems pretty explicitly stated to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't miss the rule but it seems to be a common issue.

I think they're planning on updating the rule book to emphasize the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was clearly explained. But it seems others had the same problem as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
senorcoo wrote:
Honesty, I don't understand the difficulty in processing the rules as written. It seems pretty explicitly stated to me.

Ya, I don't get it either. It's clearly written in the rules. Also, you'd think that people would quickly realize something was very wrong if playing this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
On my first playthrough, we confused the '1 or 2 actions each turn, or pass' statement. We got the idea that we could have multiple turns, but we thought that taking only 1 action meant that we were passing after that. However, both of these issues are reiterated and clarified in the bold section at the bottom of the action phase description on pg8. And then the section goes on with an example where Stanley does exactly that.

After playing a group game and then a few solo games, I reread the rules and it was so much clearer. Reading the rules before playing a game gets you most of the way there, but there are often subtleties that are missed. I don't think the game designers are at fault here. They devoted half a page to explaining how the Action phase works.

I understand your frustration and I'm amazed that you played 4 games without giving up on TM despite the frustration. I hope tonight's game night exceeds you expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we read this several times over at the beginning of our first play to make sure we were doing it right, but it's pretty clearly stated in the rules. It IS hard to assimilate lots of rules all at once sometimes though - inevitably things get missed no matter what.

I can definitely see how this game would be miserable if limited to 1-2 actions PER GENERATION... !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My game aid has been posted to the file section. It should help with running the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
My game aid has been posted to the file section. It should help with running the game.

Yes. If only this was collated when I first got the game. This is pretty useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it helps. They help me teach and I'm always glad when they can help someone else too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand the difficulty in processing the rules as written. It seems pretty explicitly stated to me.

Ditto, its really obvious and don't understand how people have missed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
PeterM2158 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Quickly reading the Game Overview without fully paying attention to the details on page 8 describing the Action Phase is likely the reason.

A small suggestion: use names A B C .. for the players so it is obvious(er) that the first player mentioned is actually taking a second turn in the example generation. In the example it goes S R K S. If it were A B C A even a sleepy reader would see that. Maybe also mention "In a 3 player game... A B C A and so on" so that the reader is further clued in to the fact that 4 people took actions in a 3 person game.

(note: I am only suggesting reasons why so many people seem to have missed this. I think the RAW are very good. Many games go around and around until everyone passes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I noticed that might explain how people missed the rule during play is that it doesn't clearly show that play continues until all players pass on the rules reference cards. They are written in just the way that you might think that happens only once around the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjoe Waldner
United States
Twin Brooks
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Update us on how your next game will turn out.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tompkins
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so if you are the last person who has not passed do you receive two more actions or can you just keep taking actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You would just keep taking actions until you pass, thus ending the generation as all players would have passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you take actions until you pass - the only limits are your ressources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I understand even less than this commonly made mistake:

People who feel the need to proclaim "I don't see how people make this mistake!" Why is it so important for you to chime in?

Many, many people who've posted on bgg have made this error. It could certainly be written more clearly, which the publisher has acknowledged.

I'd also add that as people who in all likelihood spend a good amount of time TEACHING games to other people, maybe we could be a little better about identifying common errors, THANKING people for taking a moment to share their mistake so that others can learn from it, and acknowledge that not everyone learns in the same manner as we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tompkins
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then can you just keep stacking cubes on an animal card as an action?not passing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardandContent wrote:
Then can you just keep stacking cubes on an animal card as an action?not passing.

Nope. An action on a blue card may only be used once per generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardandContent wrote:

Each action on a blue card may only be used once per generation. So you can delay multiple times in this way only if you have multiple cards that add animal cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
BoardandContent wrote:

Each action on a blue card may only be used once per generation. So you can delay multiple times in this way only if you have multiple cards that add animal cubes.

Just fixing the quoted post for accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I realized when I hit submit that I should have specified that, but then Sam beat me to it anyway so I didn't bother with it. But thanks for clarifying so there is no confusion. I will edit my post as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Erwin
United States
Winter Park
FL
flag msg tools
OMG. No wonder it was so weird in our game last night. We only took 2 actions *per Generation*. Kinda feelin' the idiot vibe at the moment.

I was like "wow...I sure didn't get to do much and we both had over 100 heat resources left.."

We had to create a new marker for having over 100 of a resource because we couldn't spend it all fast enough with only 2 actions per generation.

..Took us 17 Generations with this method btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

And? What matters is that several people have misinterpreted the rules, not just a couple, and therefore evidence suggests there is an issue with clarity regarding rules communication. Whether you found it clear is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.