Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

I have always wanted to play Agricola, but the complexity and price always put me off. Then this 2016 version came out and I found it cheap so I though "hey, why not?"

I spent some time reading the rules and watching videos, then started to play some solo games. My first game I scored 30 (I got many rules wrong) then after re-reading the rules I got 36, then 43, then 40. Seemed OK, but I couldn't see any way to get 50 or more. So I read a couple of hints and tips posts here on BGG and tried again, scoring 61. Yay!

So I decided to try the solo campaign - 8 consecutive games aiming to score 50, 55, 59, 62, 64, 65, 66, 67. My first game I scored 64, then 71, 72 and 74. So I stopped, a bit bored.

My tactics are always more or less the same, and depending on the occupations and minor improvements I play will score somewhere between mid 60s to mid 70s.

My conundrum is "have I broken Agricola for myself?" Is there any point in continuing the campaign, as it seems I'll be able to win it easily by simply playing the same tactics over and over.

Is the solo game for Agricola 2016 a dead end? I can't see any way to increase my points now except for careful picking over the various options due to occupations and minor improvements to scrape an extra point or two - which isn't very exciting...

So what now? I've only had it a week. Is it time to trade it on?

TDM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Make yourself need an extra food per person per harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Automa solo variant file.
It blocks actions, so you have to adapt your strategy. This makes the solo game feel much more like the 2p+ game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134745/agricola-automa-de...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're strictly a solo player, it's probably time to trade. The game works best with competition. The sweet spot is 4-p games, although I imagine others would contest that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the printed numbers are on the low side so people don't get frustrated when they aren't that good with the game. Keep going with your campaign until you lose. I did so once and got a streak of like 24 games or something. I failed getting like 90+ points at the end. It gets harder and harder and once you've got all 7 occs out, it becomes an optimization puzzle for sure. I still kept going though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have to say that the solo re-playability of this game is definitely limited. Mainly, I believe, because of the very limited variability of setup. And without the unpredictability of an opponent the game is never going to present a fresh challenge once you have got the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, this thread makes me sad. This game was high on my must-have for solo play list.

(Thanks for saving me some money though.. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to play solo is on iOS imho - vs a computer opponent or online opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
msg tools
Granted Agricola isn't one Id buy just for solo, but it has fairly good solo replay. If you want more variety, deal new cards each game instead of doing the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

And it's done - sold to a new loving home...

TDM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.