Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I can't figure out where 90% of the rules questions in this forum come from. Honestly, I think folks just make stuff up to confuse themselves. I had to reference the rules a few times and found the answer each time.

Thought I'd throw my voice in among the multitude of complaints. No manual is perfect, but this is definitely one of the better ones I've read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Same here. I thought the rule book was pretty decent. I also watched the Watch It Played video which cleared up a few things for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

fpvillalobos wrote:
I thought the rule book was pretty decent. I also watched the Watch It Played video which cleared up a few things for me.

Isn't this contradictory? Any decent rulebook wouldn't leave one needing to watch a "How It's Played" video.

Don't get me wrong - I always find a good "How to play" video useful to some degree, no matter how thorough and clear the rulebook may be. But after reading close to 300 rulebooks, I've gotten a good feel for those that don't have any hidden holes and those that do. And this rulebook has lots of holes after a first reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for page 4, where they decided to number the setup guide 1 - 13, but then don't put 8 on the picture on page 5. They don't elaborate how buildings work and the limitations, which leads to issues mostly with the machines structure abilities, ie - sniper and drones. The events phase is not written very well, it needed more detail and a diagram. Also a page with all the 2/3 player specific rules, not just put all over the book.

Other than that, sure it is a great manual, if you also watch the watch it played video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mb
Here is where I stand. I really think that an appendix with an explanation of the buildings and ability cards (the smaller ones) should have been great. With examples of use in each one. Having said that after reading many questions here, most questions are generated because people want to create a rule when there is no need for one. Or because they are ovee thinking something that is very simple. So, I think is a fair manual, I was able to play without any problem without watching any videos for the first game,. Apparently, after reading the forums we need not break any rules, except for scouting (I did not see the errata at that time). Later games crated some doubts about some buildings, which the FAQ solved.

So, IMHO the Manual is not the best, it could defenetly be improved. But, it is far of being bad and you can play the game directly from the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
back_spacer wrote:
Here is where I stand. I really think that an appendix with an explanation of the buildings and ability cards (the smaller ones) should have been great. With examples of use in each one. Having said that after reading many questions here, most questions are generated because people want to create a rule when there is no need for one. Or because they are ovee thinking something that is very simple. So, I think is a fair manual, I was able to play without any problem without watching any videos for the first game,. Apparently, after reading the forums we need not break any rules, except for scouting (I did not see the errata at that time). Later games crated some doubts about some buildings, which the FAQ solved.

So, IMHO the Manual is not the best, it could defenetly be improved. But, it is far of being bad and you can play the game directly from the manual.

So, I wrote this appendix a little while ago. Portal has it for editing. I'm going to follow up on where it's at. I'd like them to release it in a pretty format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mb
HerrohGrant wrote:
back_spacer wrote:

So, I wrote this appendix a little while ago. Portal has it for editing. I'm going to follow up on where it's at. I'd like them to release it in a pretty format.

Great news!. I reaaly appreciate your support on the game, Grant. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curious Fu
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
.Honestly, I think folks just make stuff up to confuse themselves. I had to reference the rules a few times and found the answer each time.

Congratulations for being smarter than the rest of us. And a better guesser too...

There are legitimate omissions and ambiguities in the rule book. It makes me wonder why? Why didn't these questions pop up in blind play tests? Did they even do blind play tests? What else did they forget to check? Why wasn't this sorted out before everyone payed a lot of money?

I know the designer is making a lot of effort to answer these queries and there are a lot of helpful people who are helping out too, but it is these doubts which cause people to second guess the rules. If they made a mistake with this one rule, who is to say they didn't make a mistake with something else? Something seems over powered, maybe they messed it up?

It is just a lack of confidence after over 100 different posts here and a FAQ released post sales. I am one of the stupid ones with lots of questions and I guess its idiots like me who pay for and play board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.