Fief: France 1429» Forums » General

Subject: first play impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi,
we played a game today.
Everything run smooth, we had fun. 4 player play.
2 people marry early, we got just 1 fight in whole game. The other became king.
I had some issue/questions:
Siege --> constanlty adding unit to the sieged strongholds is powerful
Money --> to the mid end game, money became a lot and all the troops was on the board, so we constantly had a surplus of money

Siege takes a lot of time. so the game end fast, when we recognize it was impossible siegeing a stronghold to take the title of an alliance 2 players

When strongholds finish, how can you build new one? Mills too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Hi,
we played a game today.
Everything run smooth, we had fun. 4 player play.
2 people marry early, we got just 1 fight in whole game. The other became king.
I had some issue/questions:
Money --> to the mid end game, money became a lot and all the troops was on the board, so we constantly had a surplus of money

Siege takes a lot of time. so the game end fast, when we recognize it was impossible siegeing a stronghold to take the title of an alliance 2 players

Woah... ONE fight (battle) in the whole game?? Seems you're VERY conservative cool
Frankly, I've never had just one battle. I really don't think the game is intended for just accumulating troops and money, until someone has enough titles to claim victory. We NEVER had any issue with troops or money quantity.. I mean we usually are out of money almost every turn. And we usually engage in battle every single turn (sometimes even in the first one). Anyway, are you really sure you got all the rules... calamities etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:

You can't add units to the defending forces on a siege, are you sure you played that correctly? The besieged player has to amass another army to go there and try to break the siege before it's too late.

Strongholds are mills are hard-limited, once they're all in play no one can buy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
RickNash wrote:
Woah... ONE fight (battle) in the whole game?? Seems you're VERY conservative cool

I think I have yet to see a single fight after two games. Instead just a bunch of posturing, but no one wanting to commit and risk losing troops that they paid good money for, unless they know for a fact that they're gonna win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not fighting is actually one of the reasons many players hated the game after 1-2 plays. If you don't fight and/or pillage then everyone will spam Mills, in a few turns the game's economy will explode in a really bad way which will put everyone in ridiculous stand-offs, boring stalemates which are randomly broken by the occasional plague.
It's not hard to imagine why someone would hate such a game session...

Try to engage more in politics and skirmishing or you'll think that the game is really broken/luck-dependant as many others did, which is a shame because the game does provide interesting decisions and it does have strategy. It's a pity that many people can't get past the plague card...

PS. You can't reinforce a besieged stronghold from the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I can't really blame the players, though; if it's boring because of reluctance to fight, then the game really should've done a better job incentivizing it. But my table still had fun, as we focused pretty much on the diplomacy side, and the posturing of armies was just another tool at the negotiating table. The second game ended surprisingly quick, though, as I held on to two fiefdoms for most of the game and then buying the crown for both at the same time, and right when it was actually ramping up for a huge combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
I actually reinforced a siege by going inside the stronghold from outside, my rules (italian) states that you can't recruit in a stronghold under siege, but if you wanna go to a stronghold under siege you can move throught the besieging army withouth fighting
Is it right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 4 player game rewards getting some land, and holding. You have to increase the VP condition in a 4player IMO to force fights...otherwise, there is too much land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.