Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Appropriate for this time:

Hear me, my God, as I voice my complaint;
protect my life from the threat of the enemy.

Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,
from the plots of evildoers.

They sharpen their tongues like swords
and aim cruel words like deadly arrows.

They shoot from ambush at the innocent;
they shoot suddenly, without fear.

They encourage each other in evil plans,
they talk about hiding their snares;
they say, “Who will see it?”

They plot injustice and say,
“We have devised a perfect plan!”

Surely the human mind and heart are cunning.
But God will shoot them with his arrows;
they will suddenly be struck down.
He will turn their own tongues against them
and bring them to ruin;
all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.

All people will fear;
they will proclaim the works of God
and ponder what he has done.

The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
and take refuge in him;
all the upright in heart will glory in him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's a cry that is heard in the city
From Vivian at Pentecost Lane
A shriekin' and dancing till four a.m.
Another night of muscles and pain
I love you despite your convictions
That God never laughs at my jokes

I'm a young man at odds with the Bible
But I don't pretend faith never works
When we're down on our knees
Prayin' at the bus stop

Now Jesus he came in a vision
And offered you redemption from sin
I'm not sayin' that I don't believe you
But are you sure that it really was him
I've been told that it could've been blue cheese
Or the meal that we ate down the road

I'm a young man at odds with the Bible
But I don't pretend faith never works
When we're down on our knees
Prayin' at the bus stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Dangerous
mb
Donald, with his mane of orange hair,
Went to DC with nary a care.
Though with pussy on the brain,
and his campaign held in disdain
Hilary proceeded to defeat him with flair.

-Psalm 69 of the New Trump Bible,
"The Dangers of da Pussy!"

Darilan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
wow Somebody "toss in" whatever from their Torah, Koran, that closely resembled or exceeded this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Sarxis wrote:
Appropriate for this time:

Hear me, my God, as I voice my complaint;
protect my life from the threat of the enemy.

Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,
from the plots of evildoers.

They sharpen their tongues like swords
and aim cruel words like deadly arrows.

They shoot from ambush at the innocent;
they shoot suddenly, without fear.

They encourage each other in evil plans,
they talk about hiding their snares;
they say, “Who will see it?”

They plot injustice and say,
“We have devised a perfect plan!”

Surely the human mind and heart are cunning.
But God will shoot them with his arrows;
they will suddenly be struck down.
He will turn their own tongues against them
and bring them to ruin;
all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.

All people will fear;
they will proclaim the works of God
and ponder what he has done.

The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
and take refuge in him;
all the upright in heart will glory in him!

fortunately the evil atheist trump will be defeated and an actual christian will replace the current christian in the white house
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs funk in their life!

Flash light (flash light, flash light)
Flash light (flash light, flash light)
Flash light (oh, flash light)
Flash light (oh, flash light)
Spot light (spot light)
Neon light (ooooh, neon light)
Flash light (ooh, flash light ho!)
Stop light (stop light)

Everybody's got to get a little light

Under the sun...
Under the sun...
Under the sun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's go back to the original psalm.

Psalm 1

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.

Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.

Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psalm 2ish

Why do the nations conspire[a]
and the peoples plot in vain?

The kings of the earth rise up
and the rulers band together
against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,

“Let us break their chains
and throw off their shackles.”

The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.

He rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,

“I have installed my king
on Zion, my holy mountain.”

I will proclaim the Lord’s decree:

He said to me, “You are my son;
today I have become your father.

Ask me,and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.

You will break them with a rod of iron[b];
you will dash them to pieces like pottery.”

Therefore, you kings, be wise;
be warned, you rulers of the earth.

Serve the Lord with fear
and celebrate his rule with trembling.

Kiss his son, or he will be angry
and your way will lead to your destruction,

For his wrath can flare up in a moment.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

All your base are belong to us.
Thou art on the path to destruction.

Thou hast no chance to survive
make your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
*pseudo-translation of Tehillim 64*

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16285/jewish/Cha...
Tehillim 64 wrote:
1For the conductor, a song of David. אלַמְנַצֵּחַ מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד:
N.B. wrote:
This is a notation for the musical catalog

2Hear, O God, my voice in my prayer; from fear of the enemy You shall guard my life. בשְׁמַע אֱלֹהִים קוֹלִי בְשִׂיחִי מִפַּחַד אוֹיֵב תִּצֹּר חַיָּי:
Rashi wrote:
Hear, O God, my voice in my prayer: The authors of Aggadoth Tehllim (Mid. Ps.) interpreted this psalm as referring to Daniel, who was cast into the lions’ den. The language of the psalm fits the Aggadah very well. David foresaw with the holy spirit all that would happen to him [Daniel], and prayed for him, because Daniel was his descendant. As was said to Hezekiah (Isa. 39:7): “And they shall take [some] of your sons, etc., whom you shall beget, and they shall be officers in the palace of the king of Babylon.” These are Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.
from fear of the enemy: These are the satraps, who plotted against him, as it is stated (Dan. 6:5): “Then the viziers and the satraps sought to find a pretext against Daniel.”

3You shall hide me from the counsel of evildoers, from the gathering of workers of iniquity, גתַּסְתִּירֵנִי מִסּוֹד מְרֵעִים מֵרִגְשַׁת פֹּעֲלֵי אָוֶן:
Rashi wrote:
from the gathering of workers of iniquity: For they gather seeking against him a pretext of death, as it is written (Dan. 6:7): “… assembled about the king, etc.”

4Who whetted their tongue like the sword; who aimed a bitter word like their arrow, דאֲשֶׁר שָׁנְנוּ כַחֶרֶב לְשׁוֹנָם דָּרְכוּ חִצָּם דָּבָר מָר:
Rashi wrote:
who aimed… their arrow: That is their slander.

5To shoot at the innocent in secret places; they shoot at him suddenly and do not fear. הלִירֹת בַּמִּסְתָּרִים תָּם פִּתְאֹם יֹרֻהוּ וְלֹא יִירָאוּ:
Rashi wrote:
To shoot at the innocent in secret places: They will shoot him with their arrows.

6They strengthen the evil word for themselves; they tell to hide snares. They say, "Who will see us?" ויְחַזְּקוּ לָמוֹ | דָּבָר רָע יְסַפְּרוּ לִטְמוֹן מוֹקְשִׁים אָמְרוּ מִי יִרְאֶה לָּמוֹ:
Rashi wrote:
they tell to hide snares: They speak cunningly to the king secret words, for even the king did not know why they were doing this. But they intended to hide snares to entrap Daniel, for they said to Darius, “All the viziers of the kingdom, etc., have conferred to establish the king’s law, etc.” [stating] that no one should offer up prayer to any god except you until thirty days [have passed].

7They seek pretexts; they have completed a diligent search, hidden within man and in the depths of the heart. זיַחְפְּשׂוּ עוֹלֹת תַּמְּנוּ חֵפֶשׂ מְחֻפָּשׂ וְקֶרֶב אִישׁ וְלֵב עָמֹק:
Rashi wrote:
They seek pretexts: Heb. עולות. They seek pretexts (עלילות) , as it is stated (Dan. 6: 5): “sought to find a pretext against Daniel.”
they hid: Heb. טמנו. They hid their thoughts in their heart and did not reveal the search for a pretext, which was searched out through them, and the midst of their thoughts and the depth of their heart.
hidden within man: Each man of them. Each one concealed his thought.

8And God cast them down; their wounds were [like] a sudden arrow. חוַיֹּרֵם אֱלֹהִים חֵץ פִּתְאוֹם הָיוּ מַכּוֹתָם:
Rashi wrote:
And God cast them down: He cast them into the lions’ den, as it is written (Dan. 6:25): “And the king commanded, and they brought these men who had slandered Daniel, and they cast them into the lions’ den, etc.”

9That which they hoped would make him stumble, their tongue brought upon them; all who see them will shake their heads. טוַיַּכְשִׁילֻהוּ עָלֵימוֹ לְשׁוֹנָם יִתְנוֹדְדוּ כָּל רֹאֵה בָם:
Rashi wrote:
That which they hoped would make him stumble, their tongue brought upon them: The stumbling they planned to inflict on him, their tongue turned over upon them.
will shake their heads: Heb. יתנודדו, will shake their head; all who see them should nod their head and laugh about them.

10Then all men feared, and they declared the work of God and understood His deed. יוַיִּירְאוּ כָּל אָדָם וַיַּגִּידוּ פֹּעַל אֱלֹהִים וּמַעֲשֵׂהוּ הִשְׂכִּילוּ:
11The righteous will rejoice with God and take shelter in Him, and all upright of heart will boast. יאיִשְׂמַח צַדִּיק בַּיהֹוָה וְחָסָה בוֹ וְיִתְהַלְלוּ כָּל יִשְׁרֵי לֵב:
Rashi wrote:
The righteous will rejoice: This is Daniel.
and all upright of heart will boast: They will boast about the uprightness of their heart, and they will praise themselves because they are confident that the Holy One, blessed be He, will help them.

So what brings this particular song to mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Well, for one thing: DO NOT WANT 'Nickleback' "singing" yours, or any's 'praises'! ALSO; where did they get them "Lion's Dens" from, since, were there any around there at the times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i guess tough luck then since god doesnt exist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari
United States
California
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i guess tough luck then since go doesnt exist
I don't know what you're talking about. Go totally exists bra!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

Tehillim 64 wrote:
N.B. wrote:

2Hear, O God, my voice in my prayer; from fear of the enemy You shall guard my life. בשְׁמַע אֱלֹהִים קוֹלִי בְשִׂיחִי מִפַּחַד אוֹיֵב תִּצֹּר חַיָּי:
Rashi wrote:
Hear, O God, my voice in my prayer: The authors of Aggadoth Tehllim (Mid. Ps.) interpreted this psalm as referring to Daniel, who was cast into the lions’ den. The language of the psalm fits the Aggadah very well. David foresaw with the holy spirit all that would happen to him [Daniel], and prayed for him, because Daniel was his descendant. As was said to Hezekiah (Isa. 39:7): “And they shall take [some] of your sons, etc., whom you shall beget, and they shall be officers in the palace of the king of Babylon.” These are Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.
from fear of the enemy: These are the satraps, who plotted against him, as it is stated (Dan. 6:5): “Then the viziers and the satraps sought to find a pretext against Daniel.”

3You shall hide me from the counsel of evildoers, from the gathering of workers of iniquity, גתַּסְתִּירֵנִי מִסּוֹד מְרֵעִים מֵרִגְשַׁת פֹּעֲלֵי אָוֶן:
Rashi wrote:
from the gathering of workers of iniquity: For they gather seeking against him a pretext of death, as it is written (Dan. 6:7): “… assembled about the king, etc.”

4Who whetted their tongue like the sword; who aimed a bitter word like their arrow, דאֲשֶׁר שָׁנְנוּ כַחֶרֶב לְשׁוֹנָם דָּרְכוּ חִצָּם דָּבָר מָר:
Rashi wrote:

5To shoot at the innocent in secret places; they shoot at him suddenly and do not fear. הלִירֹת בַּמִּסְתָּרִים תָּם פִּתְאֹם יֹרֻהוּ וְלֹא יִירָאוּ:
Rashi wrote:
To shoot at the innocent in secret places: They will shoot him with their arrows.

6They strengthen the evil word for themselves; they tell to hide snares. They say, "Who will see us?" ויְחַזְּקוּ לָמוֹ | דָּבָר רָע יְסַפְּרוּ לִטְמוֹן מוֹקְשִׁים אָמְרוּ מִי יִרְאֶה לָּמוֹ:
Rashi wrote:
they tell to hide snares: They speak cunningly to the king secret words, for even the king did not know why they were doing this. But they intended to hide snares to entrap Daniel, for they said to Darius, “All the viziers of the kingdom, etc., have conferred to establish the king’s law, etc.” [stating] that no one should offer up prayer to any god except you until thirty days [have passed].

7They seek pretexts; they have completed a diligent search, hidden within man and in the depths of the heart. זיַחְפְּשׂוּ עוֹלֹת תַּמְּנוּ חֵפֶשׂ מְחֻפָּשׂ וְקֶרֶב אִישׁ וְלֵב עָמֹק:
Rashi wrote:
They seek pretexts: Heb. עולות. They seek pretexts (עלילות) , as it is stated (Dan. 6: 5): “sought to find a pretext against Daniel.”
they hid: Heb. טמנו. They hid their thoughts in their heart and did not reveal the search for a pretext, which was searched out through them, and the midst of their thoughts and the depth of their heart.

8And God cast them down; their wounds were [like] a sudden arrow. חוַיֹּרֵם אֱלֹהִים חֵץ פִּתְאוֹם הָיוּ מַכּוֹתָם:
Rashi wrote:
And God cast them down: He cast them into the lions’ den, as it is written (Dan. 6:25): “And the king commanded, and they brought these men who had slandered Daniel, and they cast them into the lions’ den, etc.”

9That which they hoped would make him stumble, their tongue brought upon them; all who see them will shake their heads. טוַיַּכְשִׁילֻהוּ עָלֵימוֹ לְשׁוֹנָם יִתְנוֹדְדוּ כָּל רֹאֵה בָם:
Rashi wrote:
That which they hoped would make him stumble, their tongue brought upon them: The stumbling they planned to inflict on him, their tongue turned over upon them.
will shake their heads: Heb. יתנודדו, will shake their head; all who see them should nod their head and laugh about them.

10Then all men feared, and they declared the work of God and understood His deed. יוַיִּירְאוּ כָּל אָדָם וַיַּגִּידוּ פֹּעַל אֱלֹהִים וּמַעֲשֵׂהוּ הִשְׂכִּילוּ:
11The righteous will rejoice with God and take shelter in Him, and all upright of heart will boast. יאיִשְׂמַח צַדִּיק בַּיהֹוָה וְחָסָה בוֹ וְיִתְהַלְלוּ כָּל יִשְׁרֵי לֵב:
Rashi wrote:
and all upright of heart will boast: They will boast about the uprightness of their heart, and they will praise themselves because they are confident that the Holy One, blessed be He, will help them.

Having read both versions here, there's a significant difference around 8 (in the numbering Moshe quotes) but otherwise the differences seem well within what I'd expect (as a non-expert) of translations. (Rashi I assume is commentary, so isn't reflected in the other version.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

Tehillim 64 wrote:
N.B. wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Rashi wrote:

Having read both versions here, there's a significant difference around 8 (in the numbering Moshe quotes) but otherwise the differences seem well within what I'd expect (as a non-expert) of translations. (Rashi I assume is commentary, so isn't reflected in the other version.)

Yes except that Jewish and Christian tradition almost always some the same words for remarkably different concepts. Still, while there are key differences, this is not a egregious example of bad translation as such. I was merely expressing general disdain for the OT.

With Tehillim, the principal changes are ones that allow Christians to claim things refer to their guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Yes except that Jewish and Christian tradition almost always some the same words for remarkably different concepts. Still, while there are key differences, this is not a egregious example of bad translation as such. I was merely expressing general disdain for the OT.

With Tehillim, the principal changes are ones that allow Christians to claim things refer to their guy.

I am curious, at least passively what translation Sarxis was using.

It kind of begs your question I guess, so I"ll try again;

@Sarxis, why did you feel the need to post this? What's your interpretation in regards to current events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.