Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

What is Secret Santa?

Every year we run a MASSIVE gift exchange here for the BGG Community. We expect to have around 3000 people participate in giving each other gifts this year!

All you need to do is click the link at the top of this post and then click Join.

Replying to this thread does not sign you up for Secret Santa. You must join through the link provided above.

By joining the exchange, you are agreeing to buy a gift for another user and have it shipped in time for Christmas. Your total cost for the game(s) and shipping should be a minimum of $50 USD.

After Registration closes (sometime after 11:59pm (GMT -6) on November 12th) we secretly assign everyone a gift-giving target. This means that you will be the Secret Santa for another BGG user, and you will also get a gift from a mystery Santa yourself!

Want to run your own special Secret Santa?

The program we use to run the official BGG Secret Santa is available for anyone else to use to make your own Gift Exchanges. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekExchange for details!

Official BGG 2016 Secret Santa Rules:

To participate in the Secret Santa you must agree to the following rules:
Quote:

1.) First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result.

2.) You have until 11:59pm (CST, GMT-6), November 12th to sign up. If you have second thoughts after signing up, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration.

3.) Keep your wishlist (NOT want list) of games updated. The expectation is that your Santa will send a new game from your wishlist. Please try to have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you get something that isn't on your list. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4.) When it comes to sending, the expectation is that you will buy a new game from your target's wishlist. The total cost of the games you send (including shipping) should be at least $50 USD.

There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. The generous Santas are the best remembered! And you will make it truly special if you personalize the gift somehow.

ALL participants must provide proof of purchase and/or shipment. A special email address will be provided when targets are assigned. This step speeds up the process of resolving complaints considerably.

5.) This is an international Secret Santa. Anyone from any country is welcome to join. Understand that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor international shipping into your gift. We will provide a list of online stores from around the world to help people who get international targets.

Alternatively, you give the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you to not limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. The distinctly international flavor of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion, so don't limit your options!

6.) This is intended to be an enriching experience - not a stressful one. So the most important rules is HAVE FUN!

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:.

When signing up, please note that the Give Only box should ONLY be checked if you DO NOT WANT to receive a gift. People who click the Give Only box are extremely generous members of the site who fill in to save the day when something goes wrong for other participants. We had a number of such people last year who did an AMAZING job stepping in to salvage what would have otherwise been frustrating situations.

If you were one of those saintly geeks last year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you! If you were someone who had a replacement Santa step in and save Christmas for you, share your experience here to inspire others to do the same this year!

And if you choose to sign up as a Give Only participant this year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you too! If you would like to BOTH sign up for Secret Santa normally AND also fill in as a replacement Santa, sign up normally and I will put out a call for additional replacement Santas when they are needed.

Finally, we want this event to focus on the fun so please refrain from bringing up any complaints in this thread. Geekmail me with any such issues instead. I'm happy to address each and every concern you have.

Here is to closing out the BGG year with three months of holiday cheer!

Helpful Links:

2015 Edition of Look What My Secret Santa Sent Me... (10th Anniversary Edition)
Rate My Wishlist Thread
Secret Santa meta-list
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re: REGISTER FOR 2016 BGG SECRET SANTA! CLOSES NOV 12

Do you own an online store and want to get involved as a Secret Santa Preferred Store?

Please contact Chad Krizan at Chad@boardgamegeek.com and he'll make sure you are set up before the initial rush after registration closes on November 12th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Please put the microbadge on display to help get the word out that Secret Santa time is here!

This year's official participation microbadge features a Gingerbread Meeple created by crazylegs: mb Thanks crazylegs!

Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb

Also a special thank you to Luds! Every year he helps check to make sure the people posting in this thread saying they are in for Secret Santa ARE actually registered. If you are posting in this thread PLEASE DISPLAY YOUR MICROBADGE! - that helps Luds go through the posts MUCH quicker!

Thanks Luds!

Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Joe says...Be nice today!
mbmbmbmbmb

Check under the Special section on your profile microbadge list. If you don't have the badge, you haven't signed up! Click the link above now to sign up and get your 2016 Secret Santa Microbadge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOOOW, I managed to register second
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
mado78 wrote:
WOOOOW, I managed to register second

I'm #4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Law
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for the win! My first time participating. As Clint Eastwood would say if he was a BGG Secret Santa, "I'm really looking forward to making my target's day."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It is 6am on a Saturday here in the U.K., and this pops up. Already I know today will be a great day!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for my 11th year. So much joy and fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I'm so prepared!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Year eight woo!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tracy_lu_who
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's to my first year being a Santa. Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur McBain
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Halt and Catch Fire
badge
They even monetized the tooltips!
mbmbmbmbmb
Registered. #309 (if the URL is my ID)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! And surprised myself by destination shopping the country list.

Ho! Ho! Ho! and away we go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maida F.
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Registered! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time for me. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for my first year!

I don't know which microbadge to sacrifice in order to display the Secret Santa one. I've been having the same dilemma regarding the Deck Buidling microbadge I've been wanting, but I managed to stave off that decision repeatedly by spending geekgold on G4 instead of on that microbadge.

Edit for Luds: Don't worry, I'm signed up and I have the microbadge, but I just can't choose which one to replace with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMcBain wrote:

It isn't. I'm not sure how people have been counting it, but I suppose it's by the announcements in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Bifford the Youngest @ www.byfordphotos.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melody303 wrote:
AMcBain wrote:

It isn't. I'm not sure how people have been counting it, but I suppose it's by the announcements in this thread.

Currently the BGG Secret santa is at 48 users:

"BoardGameGeek 2016 Secret Santa - Open for Registration - (run by) Octavian - (from) Thu Oct 20, 2016 - (To) Sat Nov 12, 2016 - 48 (Users)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Melody303 wrote:
AMcBain wrote:

Currently the BGG Secret santa is at 48 users:

"BoardGameGeek 2016 Secret Santa - Open for Registration - (run by) Octavian - (from) Thu Oct 20, 2016 - (To) Sat Nov 12, 2016 - 48 (Users)"

That's how I saw that I was no 2. I got lucky Woke up, went to BGG and Open Exhangesses, and saw BGG SS one with only 1 user (Octavian my guess) and registered. After that it showed BGG SS to have 2 users.
I just went to BGG really close after exchange was created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geraint & Rhyannon
Wales
Briton Ferry
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in for our third year - microbadge is front and centre so excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In for year number six! First year I'm unable to fit all my Secret Santa Microbadges under my name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Koivisto
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IN! 4th year already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koko N S
Indonesia
Jakarta Timur
DKI JAKARTA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.. 2nd year for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eden Hansen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In for year 2!! So looking forward to this..hope I get an interactive Santa!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [36] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.