Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As demonstated by the latest ExoMars Schiaparelli lander failure and the previous failure to land on a comet, is the planetary landing testing in the game just too easy to achieve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've drawn two Major Failures in a row before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not sure I would use the failure to land on a comet as justification for the this being too easy, I see your point in general.

I suppose you could house rule a die roll and if it meets some criteria, even though it was a success, some random event occurred that caused it to major fail.

Also, I'm not completely familiar with the exo mars lander, so perhaps it was created as a latest and greater lander, which could be viewed as trying the first landing with 3 cards on it and it failed, vs. some of the older ones which were tested until generally successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mb
ExoMars was in the process of testing in the Leaving Earth's terms. ESA is not yet experienced. This particular mission was a technology demonstration. It's true you can do a technology demonstration in Leaving Earth in a suborbital flight but I think some technologies related to bodies (landing, re-entry, aerobraking, surveying) should not be fully testable in the Earth vinicity. (also rendezvous and life-support could add to the list) Instead, a clever mechanism should be invented for such tests. My proposal is to have 2 sets of 2 outcome cards for those technologies: first for closer areas (before solar radiation) and the second one for more remote (inside solar radiation) ones. Some modifications to that for particular technologies could also be made (e.g. surveying = 1+1, aerobraking as it used to be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.