Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
Good evening viewers.

So you've signed up for this thing called "Secret Santa", you are ready to become a lean, mean Christmas machine, heaping joy and cheer on the head of your target. But wait, what of your own Santa? Do they have all the information required to give YOU a Secret Santa experience to remember? Does your letter to Santa tell him what you like? Have you made your wishlist and checked it twice? When am I going to get on with the rest of the thread?

Well fear not, simply post in this thread a link to your wishlist and profile and let the sinsiter friendly elves of BGG cast an eye over them and give you help, hints and suggestions.

For example, here is my letter to Santa...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/matt_k

And my wishlist...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/matt_k

...which I humbly present for your perusal and consideration. Also if you have any questions about wishlists and letters to Santa, then feel free to ask.

Happy Secret Santa-ing!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Little
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Here is my wishlist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/dusbaker83

Here is my Letter to Santa: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/dusbaker83

Happy for any tweeks or feedback that people have for me.

Many Thanks,

Dustin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
Good evening viewers.
And my wishlist...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/matt_k?wishlist...|thumbnail|title|wishlistcomment|shop&ff=1

Wishlist link just goes to a list of levels of want, no games. You can get there easy enough from your profile, just a head's up. Good list of new and old in the wishlist. Love the comments in there too.

Feedback for your letter. You say you enjoy taunting, but that's really it beyond board games. Do you have any other hobbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dusbaker83 wrote:

Many Thanks,

Dustin

10 of 10, would happily gift. VERY robust wishlist with comments on a lot of items (not just the 1's and 2's. Thorough letter with lots of good also non-board game related stuff. I don't know if everyone cares, but I would like to know something about the person I'm giving to, to try to make something personal. Anyone can just order something off of amazon with prime, have it shipped with a note that says Merry Christmas and be done. But I like to think that SS time in particular people are interested in not only going above and beyond, but trying to make it a memorable experience.

Edit: I don't have the badge b/c I haven't signed up yet and I'm not sure if finances are going to allow me to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angie E
United States
Lewisville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
Any feedback for a newbie participant?

https://boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/smilingangel

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/smilingangel

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smilingangel wrote:
Any feedback for a newbie participant?

Thanks

10 of 10. Love the comments in the wishlist throughout and combination of new and old stuff. Also appreciate that you mention you are fine with gently used games. I tend to think if I can find stuff at thrift (or stuff from my personal collection that's not seeing enough love), that I would gift double since it's not technically costing me much to give you one of my games (or a thrift). Again, very happy to read about you as a person AND a gamer. Would enjoy gifting to you.

My only nitpick is that you should at least put your country if not city on your profile so that people know at a glance that you are US / Arkansas. You have it in your profile text, so you're not trying to hide your location, why not just put it in the profile so it's right there?

For the uninitiated, you can do that from your "Edit User Details" section on your profile, in the far lower left of your "My Geek" or "Profile" links up top in the bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angie E
United States
Lewisville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

My only nitpick is that you should at least put your country if not city on your profile so that people know at a glance that you are US / Arkansas. You have it in your profile text, so you're not trying to hide your location, why not just put it in the profile so it's right there?

Done! Thank you, I did not realize that I didn't have that information on there. I'm working my way through commenting on all of my owned games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Little
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciffy wrote:
dusbaker83 wrote:

Many Thanks,

Dustin

10 of 10, would happily gift. VERY robust wishlist with comments on a lot of items (not just the 1's and 2's. Thorough letter with lots of good also non-board game related stuff. I don't know if everyone cares, but I would like to know something about the person I'm giving to, to try to make something personal. Anyone can just order something off of amazon with prime, have it shipped with a note that says Merry Christmas and be done. But I like to think that SS time in particular people are interested in not only going above and beyond, but trying to make it a memorable experience.

Edit: I don't have the badge b/c I haven't signed up yet and I'm not sure if finances are going to allow me to.

Thanks very much for taking the time to check it out and give feedback. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second year for me—always looking for feedback to improve:

Wishlist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/cuteusagi

Leter to Santa: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/cuteusagi

Thanks for the feedback and happy registration day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smilingangel wrote:

Looks good to me! I would have a blast as your Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yolaria
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am new to this exchange and any advice will be appriciated!

Letter to Santa: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/yolaria
Wishlist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/yolaria

My wishlist isn't finished yet, I have to write more comments and I think there will be some changes until registration ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
Second year for me—always looking for feedback to improve:
... happy registration day!

Looks great to me. Very detailed and lots of choices on the wishlist. Would have fun gifting to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my letter to Santa, and I'm still worried it's so much text that it could scare Santa away.

There are also a couple of paragraphs on my profile itself dedicated to Santa, with hints about good shops for cheap shipping to me, and a link to the above letter.

The wishlist itself has fewer items (about a quarter of the ones from the letter), to provide an easier option than dealing with that wall of text, I suppose.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yolaria wrote:
I am new to this exchange and any advice will be appriciated!

Letter to Santa: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/yolaria
Wishlist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/yolaria

My wishlist isn't finished yet, I have to write more comments and I think there will be some changes until registration ends.

Not sure if it's a translation thing from German to English or if you're just still working through your wishlist, but this sentence: "I added a few common and popular games to my wishlist that I don’t want to own, because I played them at gaming events and didn’t like them. " doesn't make sense when looking at your wishlist. You have plenty of common and popular games on there and no distinction as to which ones you DO NOT want. Either mark them as 5's (Do Not Buy) or put a comment next to them that states why you don't want it.

Overall it's a great letter (doubly so if english isn't your first language). Wishlist does need some work and filling out though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yolaria
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ciffy wrote:

Not sure if it's a translation thing from German to English or if you're just still working through your wishlist, but this sentence: "I added a few common and popular games to my wishlist that I don’t want to own, because I played them at gaming events and didn’t like them. " doesn't make sense when looking at your wishlist. You have plenty of common and popular games on there and no distinction as to which ones you DO NOT want. Either mark them as 5's (Do Not Buy) or put a comment next to them that states why you don't want it.

Overall it's a great letter (doubly so if english isn't your first language). Wishlist does need some work and filling out though.

Thank you so much! Sentence is deleted. Now I have to work on my wishlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melody303 wrote:
Here's my letter to Santa, and I'm still worried it's so much text that it could scare Santa away.

There are also a couple of paragraphs on my profile itself dedicated to Santa, with hints about good shops for cheap shipping to me, and a link to the above letter.

The wishlist itself has fewer items (about a quarter of the ones from the letter), to provide an easier option than dealing with that wall of text, I suppose.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think this is the best letter and list I've read yet. Some people might be turned off by your forwardness at the beginning about not going off-list, but you then back that up with an in depth look and reasoning at what feels like 100 games. You also give pie-in-the-sky options, which would be really neat to see, but I hope you don't get your hopes up for those. Someone would have to own all of that stuff to make a custom insert for it.

And then you top that off with local options and mention you're ok with cheaper / slower shipping. 11/10 would happily gift again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciffy wrote:
Melody303 wrote:

Thoughts?

Personally, I think this is the best letter and list I've read yet. Some people might be turned off by your forwardness at the beginning about not going off-list, but you then back that up with an in depth look and reasoning at what feels like 100 games. You also give pie-in-the-sky options, which would be really neat to see, but I hope you don't get your hopes up for those. Someone would have to own all of that stuff to make a custom insert for it.

And then you top that off with local options and mention you're ok with cheaper / slower shipping. 11/10 would happily gift again.

That's very reassuring. Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Koivisto
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I could also use some help, especially on updating my wishlist, as I'm not very good at following the latest Essen releases and such. I feel now my wishlist might not give a proper picture and it also has many games I haven't read reviews yet.

And I do have a letter to Santa in my profile and commented my own collection and played games, so together there is probably quite a lot of information for Santa, or what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Koivisto
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And comments for some others in this thread:

Melody303: Your letter and wishlist are interesting and I would like to have you as my target as a challenge, even though I have quite opposite thinking about deckbuilding, for me Dominion is enough and I'm not interested in others.

Yolaria: Your letter and wishlist make me feel that I know you well, we have similar tastes and your wishlist contains games I own and like and your collection contains games I have on wishlist

cuteusagi: You have nice wishlist and letter with lost of information, would be easy to shop for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bjanze wrote:
Hey, I could also use some help, especially on updating my wishlist, as I'm not very good at following the latest Essen releases and such. I feel now my wishlist might not give a proper picture and it also has many games I haven't read reviews yet.

And I do have a letter to Santa in my profile and commented my own collection and played games, so together there is probably quite a lot of information for Santa, or what do you think?

Your letter is great! I definitely get a sense for the types of games you like to play. The top categories of your wishlist (1-2) might be difficult to shop for, since there are of out-of-print games and promos. Are there any games in a $35-40 range that you could add? If you're looking for game suggestions, since you like Puerto Rico and Caylus, maybe some other eurogames like Concordia, Orleans, Keyflower, Five Tribes? (These are just suggestions off the top of my head.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys and gals

I found the right thread to post this in.
I'm a returning Santa. I love this season and the secret Santa bit.

My letter is atop my profile /user/balzi

My wishlist has lots of promos on it - is it too many? I just throw them in to give some cheap options /wishlist/balzi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Zaandam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
Peek-a-Imp :O
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think my wishlist this year is very accommodating to my secret santa, but since I'm mostly cleaning up a lot over here, I wouldn't know what else to add.

Is my wishlist as difficult as I think? https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/Ruesailmana

If so, I'll probably just give this year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in for the third year, but would feel more confident if someone has a look over my letter and wishlist
Thanks!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Rilmariel
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/Rilmariel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Hi guys and gals

I found the right thread to post this in.
I'm a returning Santa. I love this season and the secret Santa bit.

My letter is atop my profile /user/balzi

My wishlist has lots of promos on it - is it too many? I just throw them in to give some cheap options /wishlist/balzi

Hello! There are a lot of promos indeed, but also many good games, so I don't think you have nothing to worry about. And as you say in your letter, you give the option to also go offlist, so I don't think your Santa will have any problem in choosing something good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
I don't think my wishlist this year is very accommodating to my secret santa, but since I'm mostly cleaning up a lot over here, I wouldn't know what else to add.

Is my wishlist as difficult as I think? https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/Ruesailmana

If so, I'll probably just give this year

Some of the tier 1 wishlist stuff seems out of the way hard to find, but if I were your santa, I'd be looking at the full games more anyway. Star Trek Frontiers and maybe one of the tier 2 games; ice cool or dragon & flagon. Depending on price, I'd also look at the colt express stuff. I think you've got "enough" for a santa to go off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.