VCS Salerno» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about combat rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
I have some questions about the combat rules;
Is possible to make only one attack paying one support point that imply two or more defender hexes?. For example, The attacker has one parent unit in one hex and the defender has one hex with a cadre unit and another cadre unit in other hex ( both defender hexes adjacent to the attacker ). I supose that is legal to do this, paying ONE support point and choosing the most favorable terrain for the defender between the two hexes. That´s right?.
Reading the rule 10.1 "Use the terrain in multi-hex attacks that is most favorable to the defender" I believe that is only one attack but in the 10.2 says "Each battle is separate ".
In my opinion is not very clear.
How many support points must the attacker to pay in a multi-hex combat??
One support point in each defender hex??
Which is the definition of attack, multi-hex combat, battle??
Thank you beforehand for the attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pegasus648 wrote:
I have some questions about the combat rules;
Is possible to make only one attack paying one support point that imply two or more defender hexes?. For example, The attacker has one parent unit in one hex and the defender has one hex with a cadre unit and another cadre unit in other hex ( both defender hexes adjacent to the attacker ). I supose that is legal to do this, paying ONE support point and choosing the most favorable terrain for the defender between the two hexes. That´s right?.
Reading the rule 10.1 "Use the terrain in multi-hex attacks that is most favorable to the defender" I believe that is only one attack but in the 10.2 says "Each battle is separate ".
In my opinion is not very clear.
How many support points must the attacker to pay in a multi-hex combat??
One support point in each defender hex??
Which is the definition of attack, multi-hex combat, battle??
Thank you beforehand for the attention.

Jon, Each attack that requires a die roll costs 1 support point unless a breakthrough result is rolled.

It is legal to use units in a single hex and target multiple adjacent enemy held hexes, but it still only costs 1 support point.

In a multi-hex attack the attacker is free to divide his own units and target enemy hexes, but dividing up enemy units within their hexes is not allowed. Each enemy hex has to be added up and fight as one total.

If you read the combat example pictured in the rule booklet it shows the proper division of force over a variety of units.

Let me know if I answered all of your concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you for your answer.
If I understand well, the attacker is free to do only one great attack (at the cost of one support point) using one or more attacking hexes against one or more adjacent enemy hexes and appliyng the column of the most benefit terrain for the defender; and the other option is to do some differents attacks (one support point each attack) between adjacent hexes and always fullfilling the participation of the all the adjacent enemies at the end of the combat phase. Of course never it is allowed to divide the forces of the defender in one single hex (like other games), no unit can participate twice in that combat phase, in one single hex no more than one parent unit can participate and if the option is to do a couple of attacks, the attacker can choose to apply all the results at the end of the all the attacks.
I believe that the soul of the combat system wants to say "You must to involve all the adjacent units but you can organize the battle at your own keeping the above rules".
I understand in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pegasus648 wrote:
Thank you for your answer.
If I understand well, the attacker is free to do only one great attack (at the cost of one support point) using one or more attacking hexes against one or more adjacent enemy hexes and appliyng the column of the most benefit terrain for the defender; and the other option is to do some differents attacks (one support point each attack) between adjacent hexes and always fullfilling the participation of the all the adjacent enemies at the end of the combat phase. Of course never it is allowed to divide the forces of the defender in one single hex (like other games), no unit can participate twice in that combat phase, in one single hex no more than one parent unit can participate and if the option is to do a couple of attacks, the attacker can choose to apply all the results at the end of the all the attacks.
I believe that the soul of the combat system wants to say "You must to involve all the adjacent units but you can organize the battle at your own keeping the above rules".
I understand in this way.

Pretty much correct although in most cases it would be suicide to do it the first way.

Also, there is more to it than that. In the directions for combat you will notice that a chain of attacks can be set off by deciding to attack along a row of units. When attempting to break an uninterrupted row of enemy units you, without inspecting all the stacks, can improve your odds on one or more by sacrificing lower strength units at different parts of the line or from within one of the participating hexes. Choosing which higher strength units to attack with first and advancing out of a hex before the lower odds attack is attempted can save mandatory losses required in the hex if you find yourself still there. Remember that you roll all the combat die rolls first if more than one attack is planned from a single hex. After you note the rolls the attacker decides which order to resolve them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you again for your fast answer Nathan:
I believe that the problem of the rules is more than clear. Certainly I like the posibility to choose the way to attack because you must study the battle very well and discover the different options. Now I know that the last paragraph of the 10.2 "Players must learn soak off......." is the most important and the spirit of the combat.
Good work, very interesting system and nice graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jon. I hope you enjoy it. You can thank the Spanish artist Nico for the map and counters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Yes, I know it. I live in the same city and I admire his jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.