Hide
21 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starting with your signature card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
indy lim
msg tools
It seems strange to me that you have a unique card that helps define your character (Roland's .38, Wendy's amulet, etc.) but can only include one copy of that card and you may or may not see it over the course of the scenario. I wonder if it would be too imbalanced to start off with that card in your opening hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a smart, friendly house-rule to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game, your rules
Try it and decide for yourself if its to powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
im getting two cores, so ill probably try to put 2 copy in my deck. I think it will be too powerful because the cards are good, especially when commiting them but I dont care

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's too powerful just bump the difficulty up one notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
That's a good point. I haven't played more than the tutorial scenario. What are the likelyhood of you cycling through your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
What are the likelyhood of you cycling through your hand?

I find most games go about 10 rounds. 5 card starting hand plus 1 draw per round, so 15 out of 30 cards. Add in maybe 1-3 Actions or abilities that draw more cards and maybe you could approach 20, but I almost always have at least 1/3 to 1/2 of my deck left every scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
im getting two cores, so ill probably try to put 2 copy in my deck. I think it will be too powerful because the cards are good, especially when commiting them but I dont care

One of the designers clarified that using 2 copies of your unique card was not legal for deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your signature weakness is also "a unique card that helps define your character" too. Perhaps starting with both together would help balance things out?

However, I think there may be some feeling that the player wants the good signature card to make their character stronger and not just for story reasons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
The only problem with starting with your signature weakness is that a couple of them ('Cover Up' and 'Hospital Debts' come to mind) are far less detrimental if you see them earlier in the game. For example, if you draw 'Cover Up' late in the game, when there are only a couple of clues left to discover (or none at all) you're almost guaranteed to suffer that card's penalty of '1 mental trauma.'

I would just recommend playing the game the way the designers intended. None of the signature cards are absolute must-haves for any scenario. Sure, they're extremely helpful, but drawing (or not drawing) them should not make or break a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Wendy's weakness, remove your discarded cards from the game. Starting with it would have no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you always start with your unique card, you will lose all those exciting moments of actually drawing it from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the "Yeehaaa!! I drew my signature card!" factor is pretty important, to offset the emotional impact of all the bad stuff happening to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim
msg tools
You guys are probably right about it. It just seems like a situation where the mechanics fail the theme a bit. At least let us have 2 of them in the deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe thematically it would help to think about cards in your deck as your investigator's potential and drawing the card as it appearing at the right time to be useful. If you need it but haven't drawn it, then your character just failed to realize it's useful at this point or is confused or cannot get to it fast enough or some such that keeps them from being effective. When you do have it at the right moment it just means your characters skills or items and resources actually came together at the right moment to solve the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting house rule could be to take out your unique asset and unique weakness then shuffle and split your deck in two, shuffle your asset into one and your weakness into the other, then stack them so you get your asset in the first half of the deck and your weakness in the last half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just how a card game works, they are (of necessity) fairly abstract.

Why else does it cost the same kind (and possibly amount) of resource to buy a baseball bat or warp the fabric of space-time with magic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like a good house rule. I'll run it past my group. If we think it makes it a bit more easier than we like then we'll either increase the difficulty or swap out one or two chaos tokens for something of a bit worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edouard perin
msg tools
Where did you read that in the rules ?
I mean, it is specified you can't playyour second unique asset card if there is already one in play, ("A player cannot bring into play a unique card if a copy of that card (by title) is already in play.")
but it seems you can still put two of them during the deckbuilding, isn't it ?
If not, could you quote me the rule you are refering too ?
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm playing with this house rule. i'd like the easy level would be even more easy... whistle

thanks for the idea, indy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I tried this last night with Skids and Agnes and didn't have issues at all with it being too powerful.

Skids' unique is a one off and Agnes' is only useful if she is slinging spells.

Seems like a good thematic change to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.