Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tags on Red Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lawrence
msg tools
mb
Hello all...

If this has been answered elsewhere in this thread, please point me there.

What is the purpose of the tags on the red (instant) cards? Since they get turned over once used, I have not usually counted them towards tags needed to play other cards, is that wrong?

The titanium/space; steel/building I see the use for since you can decrease the cost of the card with that tag. I see one of the corporations decrease the cost of the earth tag, but why the science tag? I don't see a rationale for that.

Thanks for any responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll answer you directly instead.

Those tags are for activating other cards or effects. For example a red card with the space tag, you can pay with titanium, or if you have a red card with a science tag, you can activate a blue card with effect on when you play a card with a science tag you... etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roblaw wrote:
Hello all...

If this has been answered elsewhere in this thread, please point me there.

What is the purpose of the tags on the red (instant) cards? Since they get turned over once used, I have not usually counted them towards tags needed to play other cards, is that wrong?

The titanium/space; steel/building I see the use for since you can decrease the cost of the card with that tag. I see one of the corporations decrease the cost of the earth tag, but why the science tag? I don't see a rationale for that.

Thanks for any responses.

Some cards activate when a specific type of tag is played. This will happen when you play the event card, before you place it facedown.

Some end game scoring counts tags for points, these count tags on events cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I've been playing this kind of wrong then. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

Some end game scoring counts tags for points, these count tags on events cards as well.

You got the first part right, but this second part is wrong. Tags on events do NOT count for end-game scoring. For example, the science tag on Invention Contest does NOT count towards the scientist award.
Technically, the tags on events get played, triggering effects (for science tags, they trigger Olympus Conference and Mars University), but they never really enter play, so they do not help towards tag requirements or end-game scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
jmathias wrote:

You got the first part right, but this second part is wrong. Tags on events do NOT count for end-game scoring. For example, the science tag on Invention Contest does NOT count towards the scientist award.
Technically, the tags on events get played, triggering effects (for science tags, they trigger Olympus Conference and Mars University), but they never really enter play, so they do not help towards tag requirements or end-game scoring.

OK, cool, thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:

This also means that red cards' tags are not considered to be "put into play", in case that question ever comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.